What Action Camera You Have, What Do You Want, What Did You Have?

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Chase on 2 Wheels attaches a powerbank to the outside of his helmet with a glued on GoPro mount. The wire into the crash helmet would normally be for the external microphone which you'd also need the GoPro Hero 5 external mic adapter on your camera to be able to use.

F4celess

Cold
Dec 20, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer
I have a couple battery banks about the size of a credit card and about 1/4 inch thick. I am wondering if its possible to mount some power for my GoPro because I see these guys on here with side mounted cameras with a power cord going inside the helmet somewhere I am assuming its charging the camera?

Im super green when it comes to motorcycles, I still have not got my full license yet, I just need to book the test and and wait 30 days for full privileged.

This is what Im working with.

Are you sure the cable isn't the mic cable? GoPros don't have a jack input and instead uses a USB-type cable for the mic. If it goes into the helmet that is probably what it is. A battery bank would be better off mounted on the rear of the helmet to balance out the weight. Ofc, the cable might have been tucked into the padding and then go back out for the bank but it's more likely to be a mic.

CodyB

Wannabie Member
Jun 11, 2017
I ride a
motorcycle
Are you sure the cable isn't the mic cable? GoPros don't have a jack input and instead uses a USB-type cable for the mic. If it goes into the helmet that is probably what it is. A battery bank would be better off mounted on the rear of the helmet to balance out the weight. Ofc, the cable might have been tucked into the padding and then go back out for the bank but it's more likely to be a mic.

yeah im talking about a charging cable..

Superballs

Superballs' Supervids
Jul 16, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
I ride a
1999 VFR800Fi
I have a couple battery banks about the size of a credit card and about 1/4 inch thick. I am wondering if its possible to mount some power for my GoPro because I see these guys on here with side mounted cameras with a power cord going inside the helmet somewhere I am assuming its charging the camera?

Im super green when it comes to motorcycles, I still have not got my full license yet, I just need to book the test and and wait 30 days for full privileged.

This is what Im working with.

Where in Canada are you? Sounds to me like Ontario, doing the graduated licensing? The M2 Exit is pretty simple, just keep your head and make sure when you turn onto a 2-lane road, you don't wait for instructions to change lanes lol.

Superballs

Superballs' Supervids
Jul 16, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
I ride a
1999 VFR800Fi
Just found out there's a time limit for editing a post.

My camera is a GitUp Git2
Happy with the quality, as it far far exceeds what YouTube will allow anyway.

Need a special cable to be able to charge and use an external mic at the same time, and this is going to take away my ability to record in stereo, but it will be great for longer rides where I don't have much to say for long periods but don't want to miss certain areas.

2WDutch

Wannabie Member
Jul 28, 2017
Netherlands
I ride a
Kawasaki Z1000
I have a brandname less 4k camera, and a Gopro 4 silver.
The Gopro i'm using on my helmet chin mount.

The brandname less cam, i want to mount on the back

Reactions: Superballs

Raoul Duke

Wannabie Member
Jul 28, 2017
I ride a
FZ-09
I use a Session, a GoPro 4 Silver, an HD Hero (2010 baby!) and a DBPower "whatevermodel" GoPro knockoff. The DBPower sucks, and I've gotten to the point where I use the Session only, unless I'm going canyon riding.

Panotaker

Wannabie Member
Jul 25, 2017
Austin, Texas
I ride a
2008 Yamaha FJR-1300
I just got a Sony FDR-X3000 as my main camera. My old camera is a Gopro 3+ Black. I also carry around a Sony RX100 V, and a Panasonic GH4. I also have a Mavic Pro drone. The only thing I don't have is time to use all those toys.

Reactions: Superballs

RealSteveB

Wannabie Member
Aug 4, 2017
Cape cod, USA
I ride a
Yamaha R6, Ninja 650, CB 350
I currently have 2 Contour +2s as my main camera. I have one my helmet and one on my fiancés. I've also done video from my truck and Mini Cooper and mt bike.

I'd like a better camera. Several. The Drift series looks like the way I'd go with the rotating lens like the Contour. Or the Sony action cam. I really wish Canon would enter the action cam market.

I also have a Contour Roam 2 and Contour HD. And a Canon Vixia R700.

WMA

Motorcycle Pilot
Sep 15, 2017
Green Bay, Wisconsin
www.WinklerMotorcycleAdventures.com
I ride a
2014 Honda Valkyrie
  • Main camera is

GoPro Hero5 Black. It's super easy to use and is good quality. The reason I bought this one was because of the awesome video stabilization ability. That is what really sold me on it, and convinced me to spend that kind of money on a small camera.

Downside is for sure the battery life. Running 1080p at 60fps, I can get about an hour and a half of video out of one battery. Fortunately, the Hero5 Blacks have removable batteries. My solution to the not so good battery life was to purchase a second battery, and a dual charging dock, so I can get about 3 hours of video before I have to charge them.

• Camera I want
I really want two cameras yet!

The first is a smaller 360 degree view camera. I don't have a specific camera I am looking at yet, but I think that a 360 degree camera would be really awesome to mount on the handlebars so people can freely choose whichever angle they want to watch a video from.

The second is a GoPro Session. I like these because they are smaller, and I could easily put this on my helmet and not really notice a difference. On trips, we usually ride for 10 to 14 hours per day for 8 or 9 days straight, I know we're crazy! But for this long, you can start to feel the weight of a GoPro Hero5 Black.

Undead MV

If there is light, there shall be dark
Oct 9, 2017
Mexico City
I ride a
Bajaj Avenger Street 220
Hi:

• Main camera is GitUp Git1,

• pro:great ratio cost-benefit, easy to use, light weight, good quality video (of course not 4k), external mic (works fine, acceptable audio)
  • Con:The android app doesn´t show the live view :(

• Camera I want
Sena 10C

• I own a Ion Air Pro Lite.
  • pro: totally practical, doesn´t need water protection cases, 1/4 " thread for mounting
  • con: no external mic, audio is very poor

IronicRbnd

Wannabie Member
Jul 16, 2015
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2014 Honda CBR650F
i think I can guess the answers but lets see what people are using, action camera wise

Use this format please

• Main camera is

Sena 10c. For me it's just easy to use everyday and practical for everyday use.

Downside is that it's quite hard to switch between settings on the device and a pain in the arse to use with a mac, without taking the SD card out into the mac. The other thing is the iPhone app is crap, no live viewer. However the music and call recording is the nuts.

• Camera I want
A new pair of pivotheads. Downside is it died after 12 months and they're
Not cheap. I loved them because I can get away with being on track and 'vlog' from my helmet as helmet and tank cameras are banned

• I own a GoPro 2 and 3 - I use for tracks. The quality is the best. I also have a drift ghost, poleriod cube and Sony thing -

Spmy ActionCam as200v, or even the original as50

I run a Xiaomi Yi as a self facing cam, but as its alot of time to edit and sync the extra footage havent been running it much of late

MrNapper

Bring a shovel
Sep 23, 2017
Vian Oklahoma
I ride a
2003 Buell XB9R Firebolt
  • Main camera is
Gopro Hero 5 Black

Upside's . No extra case needed to be waterproof. Awesome quality video. Touch screen display.
Downside is the big ugly mic adapter. I don't care the size or the non-waterproofness , I just have an issue of wind catching it while riding at speeds and making horrible audio clipping noises.

• My extra/backup camera
The wife's Hero Session when she isn't using it.
  • Camera I want
If the Gopro didn't need an adapter for an external mic i'd be very content. Otherwise I really haven't picked another to like just yet.

MrNapper

Bring a shovel
Sep 23, 2017
Vian Oklahoma
I ride a
2003 Buell XB9R Firebolt
Virb Ultra - just pair a sena over BT :)

If wasn't for the fact my wife bought us the cheaper V6 1200 headsets since I got the cameras and supplies. And I didn't know all this prior to buying the adapter. I'd bought sena if I'd known what I do now but we have still yet to ride with anyone else to "Sena up with" so I haven't upgraded yet.

Reactions: Undead MV

Undead MV

If there is light, there shall be dark
Oct 9, 2017
Mexico City
I ride a
Bajaj Avenger Street 220
Anyone using a bluetooth mic?

Please give us some info about it

Sharktank

Wannabie Member
Sep 2, 2017
Tampa, FL
I ride a
2011 Road Glide Custom
Hero 4 Silver is the only camera I am currently using.

I want something else. Just started looking at other camera options this morning. The lack of external mic support on hero 4 is frustrating. There are no new mic adapters any more and used ones are $80 or more due to demand. With the hero 6 launching, the $50 mic adapter for the 5 isn't even available at the moment. GoPro is about to lose my business over a wire.

Started watching some reviews of the Ghost 4k, but it sounds like there were (did they fix it?) Mic sensitivity issues. Also, looks like the field of view is significantly lower than what I'd like at 4k resolution. Actually, I'm looking for recommendations at this point.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R-Rated Camera Setups 18

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts