Question On Topics When Motovlogging

illproducr

Wannabie Member
Jul 18, 2017
NYC
I ride a
2016 Kawasaki Ninja 300
Do you guys have a preset topic to talk about when you hop on the bike or do you just freestyle? I tend to like to talk about my surroundings as things are easier to talk about rather than keeping to some sort of script. What is the best approach?

Reactions: HippoDrone

RiderInRed

The guy who rides in red
Jun 2, 2016
Armenia
www.vms-studio.com
I ride a
MV Agusta F3, Yamaha R1
Hmm just too much rambling about the surroundings might get a little boring over time, just my 2c.

I like to have an idea of where I'm going to and what I'm going to talk about. I do divert oftentimes depending on what I capture. Sometimes some pretty funny/interesting tuff might happen that you might go on about for a minute or two. But I do like to keep up a general 'theme' for each vlog.

It might seem a little difficult for you, but it'll go a long way for the viewer!

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I prefer to just prattle on about whatever pops into my head. I often find the vlogs with preplanned subjects can feel a bit forced and detract from the character of the vlogger

Reactions: 2WDutch

Superballs

Superballs' Supervids
Jul 16, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
I ride a
1999 VFR800Fi
I like to have a topic, but hate to stay on topic. I like to start talking about something, then slip into a semi-relevant story, that then sprouts it's own tangent and then before I know it, I eventually and quite accidentally end up talking about my original subject.

I started thinking I could just wing it. If I lived in a city with millions of people doing millions of things...maybe that would be possible but there's just not enough here to comment on.

I am thinking of trying to use funny things occaisonally as unrelated cold open material for random videos as much as I can.

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Preferably having a general topic, so at least you have some room to divert off it a bit while still having some context of the topic. But you can always interject if you see something really interesting on the road while you are on your topic.

2WDutch

Wannabie Member
Jul 28, 2017
Netherlands
I ride a
Kawasaki Z1000
well i think it depends on who you are, viewers subscribe what they like.

Lets say if you at your work and you get a business meeting request, the requester has not an topic, a bid odd if you got an invite and nobody knows where te meeting is goin about.

When you plan a meeting with friends, it would be odd to send an agenda with points where to talk about.

In both worlds, who are you, are you a tumb sucker or a agenda reader.
Do what you like the most That's where you probably good at, youtube has billions viewers there would be some who like your wawa.

Reactions: HippoDrone

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I generally have a topic and points to discuss. I do go off topic if something motivates it -- bad traffic, riders, colorful pedestrians, or road conditions. A lot of off topic stuff I tend to edit out because it feels like I'm rambling and drifting into weird areas, like when I started to do a movie review.

- Wuf

Sharktank

Wannabie Member
Sep 2, 2017
Tampa, FL
I ride a
2011 Road Glide Custom
I just made my first video and I had not topic in mind. It ended up being a 22 minute video outlining how I started on motorcycles and went through the short story behind each one. Probably too long of a video and I actually cut it short because I was recording for almost 2 hours. I do like watching videos with a theme more than ones who ramble, so I'll take that as a hint for what I should do.

2WV

@2WheelVandal
Feb 25, 2017
South England
I ride a
A motorcycle, silly.
I usually just go with the flow of things. I never go out with a pre planned topic. I create the topic as i ride. But i do try to theme things sometimes. I think the topic can go off in any direction as long as the theme remains relatively the same.

CDA441

Red Viffer VTEC!
Apr 15, 2016
Belgium
cda441.wordpress.com
I ride a
'04 Honda VFR800 VTEC
Sometimes I have a topic, but because English isn't my native tongue, it is difficult for me to just ramble about anything.

Some topics also don't interest me, and some don't interest the public :)

I still should make a video on how I got the idea to buy a motorcycle.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I think if you talk about things that you find interesting then people that are interested in the same things will find your content

Reactions: CDA441

EpicNick

Wannabie Member
Aug 26, 2017
USA
I ride a
Ninja 300
I've been researching and talking to many different people in the vlogging niche of YouTube over the past month. What I've found out so far is actually pretty simple, but not many people really think about it initially.

Try picking, let's say 5 of your favorite vloggers/motovloggers. What makes their content so interesting to you? What keeps you engaged?

for me, as an example, my list looks something like this:
  1. No dead silence - Try imagining you're having a conversation with someone and you're sitting there listening to them trip over their words, long pauses in between lines and a bunch of uh's, ah's, and um's. Not really engaging....
  2. Topic doesn't really matter to me, but if it's relatable then I'm more inclined to listen.
  3. Stick to your opinion. Going back to my explanation for #1, It's a lot less engaging and interesting for me to listen to someone act all wishy-washy over their opinion on the topic. Have a strong opinion on your topic and keep that stance over a few different points. Also fact check, you don't want to end up like a certain "fat shaming isn't real" youtuber.
  4. It's okay to have pauses and silence as long as there is something going on that can grab the audience's interest.
  5. Keep the videos short and sweet. From most vloggers I've talked to, they generally try to shoot for around 3-4 minutes, but if you have enough strong content to carry you a bit past that then it's okay. Just don't have 3-4 minutes of strong content and then prattle on for another 6. Usually that ends up causing the viewer to click away and that's a great way to screw yourself in YouTube's algorithm if you're trying to grow your channel.

Again, these are just my personal views and tastes. Yours may be completely different and that's okay, you do you fam.

2WV

@2WheelVandal
Feb 25, 2017
South England
I ride a
A motorcycle, silly.
Or better yet. Buy a loud exhaust, and decent audio recorder and just ride the same routes every week in London on your niche motorcycle.. 100k+ subs instantly.

Reactions: CDA441

Abay

Wannabie Member
Mar 13, 2017
I ride a
Yamaha MT-25, Yamaha "Vixion" FZ 150
I always wanted to be able to just go out and start vlogging, and just go with the flow of things. But my English and my speaking in general aren't good enough yet to do that. So I just prepare beforehand

CDA441

Red Viffer VTEC!
Apr 15, 2016
Belgium
cda441.wordpress.com
I ride a
'04 Honda VFR800 VTEC
Or better yet. Buy a loud exhaust, and decent audio recorder and just ride the same routes every week in London on your niche motorcycle.. 100k+ subs instantly.

It's actually a problem to do this because people will say you're an RJ imposter and are stealing his format :')

2WV

@2WheelVandal
Feb 25, 2017
South England
I ride a
A motorcycle, silly.
It's actually a problem to do this because people will say you're an RJ imposter and are stealing his format :')

Sorry i forgot that was his branding. Please don't sue me ;) :D haha he reminds me of a glorified youtube tourist guide, ngl

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
RJ is a really nice chap, met him up Box Hill a good few years back when I had a Husky SM510R and we chatted bikes for a bit, it was then that I first thought about mounting a camera to my lid and I used to record my rides up in the fire trails in Scotland and trackdays

Reactions: 2WV and scooterwuf

2WV

@2WheelVandal
Feb 25, 2017
South England
I ride a
A motorcycle, silly.
Yeah hes a sound chap for sure. I remember when his nuda got stolen sadly.

2WV

@2WheelVandal
Feb 25, 2017
South England
I ride a
A motorcycle, silly.
Going back to this topic, the worst thing is having a "writers block" where you can't think of topics or literally nothing interesting happens when you're out on your bike. This is why riding in London is always great. Something is always happening.

Reactions: NF Vulcan

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts