Motorbike Crime London

thunderous71

Daddy
Aug 4, 2011
Surrey
www.thunderous71.com
I ride a
Mt-09
Hi all just some information for all motorbike/moped riders in London UK especially.

Motorbikes are being stolen at an alarming rate, so who, why, how and how to protect yours.

First off, who are stealing the bikes?
Commonly teenagers stealing lower powered bikes and older higher powered bikes. (Don't kid yourself tho new bikes are also stolen.) Why? Well the lower powered bikes most likely will not have a immobiliser so can easy be hot wired. Older higher powered bikes can easily have the immobiliser "emulated" so it can then be started as if they owned the bike.

How do they steal them?
Most common way is to find a bike that has no lock on it, this can be stolen in seconds. A steering lock on your bike can be broken very easily by anybody even a skinny little teen.
Bike with only one security device on it, IE a chain or a disk lock. Cheap disk locks can be removed in seconds with a blow from a hammer, cheap chains can be bolt cut in seconds too. (I cover angle grinders later)
Once the steering lock and security device is off the thieves will then use a second bike to push the stolen bike back to their storage or more commonly move the bike a few streets away and dump it. They will leave it there for 24-48 hrs before removing it again to another location for sale or strip down. Why move it like this? Well if they come back and it has been removed it was most likely fitted with a tracker, the thieves do not want a bike with a tracker in their back garden.

The van.
Yes we have all heard of the transit van that appears in a street and suddenly a few bikes go missing as they are simply lifted into the van. Yes it happens.

The Skateboard
You know that gang of kids you see wandering the streets where just one of them is carrying a skate board. Well they may be a skateboard mob. This is what they will do, find a bike with a disk lock on or chain not secured to an object, they will then lift the unlocked wheel onto the skate board and just wheel the bike off. One they have moved it a few streets away they will set to work removing the lock.

The Jack.
Sadly this is becoming common in some parts of London, as you stop at a red light a gang of riders will surround you, assault you and take the bike. COmmon weapons are knives and acid. Acid being the favorite in London.

The angle grinder:
This is the tool of choice for all bike thieves, a portable angle grinder. It will cut through ALL security chains, locks and disk locks in 1-10 mins depending on the quality of your security.

Also worth mentioning is the spotter.
A spotter is someone that will ride round the area looking for bikes to steal they will then note down the location of bikes and when and where they are parked to come back later with the boys to nick em. The spotter will usually visit a location more than once and also take a keen eye on the locks on a bike.

So what can you do?

Security.
Chain: Get a decent chain, for example a Almax III or IV http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/
Ground Anchor: Many types out there, install one at your home!
Disk Lock: Get a decent one! For example https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... prod/59284
Storage: If you have a garage use it! IF you don't but have some free space on your property get a motorbike garage http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/motorcycle-garage
Cover: get a good cover for your bike, it hides it a little and protects it from the weather!

LAYERS! I will say that again LAYERS!

Now you do not use one of these security methods, but ALL of them (well as many as possible). Sad to say you can not rely on just a chain or just a disk lock. But use a few.
Each layer will protect your bike by another 2-5 mins and that maybe enough time for the Police to turn up. But the more secure your bike looks the less likely the thieves will want to risk the time to steal it.

What about the Jacking?
Always have eye protection! Be it glasses or your visor always down. Yes it is that bad, acid in the eyes = blind. If attacked either submit and let them have the bike or if that isn't an option for you, you can legally flee at speed etc if your life is in danger. Make the choice now in your mind.

Tips:
Chain and lock, make sure the chain goes through the frame and an immovable object, not just through the wheel. Or your come back to your wheel chained to a lamp post but no bike. I'm no mechanic but even I can remove a wheel in 30 seconds.

Disk locks.
Use more than one, they are light to carry and fitting more than one to your bike makes it less attractive and hinders the skateboard steal if one is fitted to front and back. For this trick you can just use cheap ones. I know a biker that has 4 cheap disk locks on his bike.

Bike tracker:
If you have a high end bike get a tracker, yes they cost a bit for a fully serviced one but they also reduce your premiums. https://biketrac.co.uk/
Yes there are cheap ebay systems, they are good also but the Police will not follow them up. If you get a tracker from a premium service they have direct contact with the police and have a very high rate of recovery not perfect but a very high rate.

Security cameras!
Well as you may have seen on other posts in the forum, they are only good for you to watch your bike being stolen. They will wear hoodies and masks to hide their identities and have false/clone plates on the bikes they use to commit the crime. Or simply no plates at all, as the Police will not chase.

Helmet Camera
Get one, and use it. They helmet camera does tend to scare off a lot of thieves from jacking you at the lights.

What happens to the stolen bikes?
Cheap end ones are just stripped for parts and sold on as is or used for joy riding or as a crime bike.
High end bikes are stripped again for ebay or moved to mainland europe.
Some bikes will simply be re-framed and traded into a dealer, yes this still goes on.

Are the Police doing anything?
Well its VERY low on their priorities and due to the no pursuit policy on motorbikes they will not give chase even if they pass a Police car while obviously committing a crime.

BTW: Tmax bikes are the bike of choice for most of the ganges to commit the crime as they have enough power to push another bike and have ample storage under the seat for an angle grinder.

How to help stop it?
You can check plates of cars and bikes to see if they are stolen it is easy just use the website https://totalcarcheck.co.uk/ (you get a free check a day if you register with them). So if you spot a bike parked/dumped in a strange place check its plate and if listed as stolen report to the Police 101.

Don't use Ebay etc.
Yes that is a bit broad but you know the cheap parts you see on ebay from a broken bike or stripping for parts bike well that means you probably are buying a stolen part and have a chance of it being discovered as stolen when next worked on. Police are actively checking track bikes for stolen parts. remember if a stolen part is found on your bike you lose then bike regardless if bought in good faith.

Hope this helps some of you and I also hope this educates why some bikers, law abiding ones seem very edgy at the moment.

Ride safe!

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Good write up and sadly is information we all need to absorb! I've had 2 bikes stolen from me, the last one was my KTM which was taken from in my garage, it had a disk lock and a decent chain/padlock (they got the disk lock off very easy but couldn't get the chain off so stole that too!

I've since massively upgraded my security and will never own a competition style offroader again.

thunderous71

Daddy
Aug 4, 2011
Surrey
www.thunderous71.com
I ride a
Mt-09
Good write up and sadly is information we all need to absorb! I've had 2 bikes stolen from me, the last one was my KTM which was taken from in my garage, it had a disk lock and a decent chain/padlock (they got the disk lock off very easy but couldn't get the chain off so stole that too!

I've since massively upgraded my security and will never own a competition style offroader again.

Oh that reminds me...

How do they steal from your house / Garage.
Ever wonder how your bike is stolen out from under your nose at home or in your garage? Well one a spotter has seen where your store it or you know when you buy thouse nice cheap parts off Ebay? Well you have just told someone where you live and what bike you own. Another reason to give ebay a wide birth.

RoadSprock

Original Vlogs
Mar 7, 2016
United Kingdom
I ride a
KTM 690 Supermoto/ Triumph Speed Triple 1050
Hate to say it, it's now become common in surrounding areas of London.. Essex being one of these. Another common method is you'll see a moped riding around two's up, they'll find your bike and break your steering lock and make no attempt to start it but the moped will then push/assist the other rider up the road. This is probably the most common method to be honest, as it's quickly done. These videos will show you what I mean;

How easy it is to push a bike with a moped:
How quick it is to brake a steering lock:
(appreciate it's a cheap bike, but same rules of method apply.)

2WV

@2WheelVandal
Feb 25, 2017
South England
I ride a
A motorcycle, silly.
Just avoid London altogether!
Including Southampton, Bristol, Birmingham, Liverpool/Manchester and finally Leeds. These places are plagued with Bike thieves. London, Birmingham, Bristol and Southampton being the worst.

Im in a few groups on facebook and fair to say a bike goes missing near enough every week in Southampton. Including my own back in 2016. Apart from that, its pretty much every night in the others..

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
Can't say I've heard much about bike theft in Leeds anywhere near like it is in London. Certainly not heard of any bike jacking up here anyway.

Bikes get pinched from homes and sometimes public parking, but that's no worse than anywhere else.

I don't commute, so rarely see peak times, but when I do, there's not many bikes out. They certainly don't crack on like in London, I'm quicker than most bikes in the area through traffic, whereas Lomdon I'm quite slow, as a comparison as to how bike oriented the cites are.

2WV

@2WheelVandal
Feb 25, 2017
South England
I ride a
A motorcycle, silly.
Can't say I've heard much about bike theft in Leeds anywhere near like it is in London. Certainly not heard of any bike jacking up here anyway.

Bikes get pinched from homes and sometimes public parking, but that's no worse than anywhere else.

I don't commute, so rarely see peak times, but when I do, there's not many bikes out. They certainly don't crack on like in London, I'm quicker than most bikes in the area through traffic, whereas Lomdon I'm quite slow, as a comparison as to how bike oriented the cites are.

Thats true for sure. I rarely see the odd post from West Yorkshire etc. Im not a cager myself but they have it just as bad. Probably not as bad as bikes granted but still bad.
Especially the whole keyless signal cloning fiasco... thats just damn scary.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
time to start responding like for like, water pistol filled with lemon juice would do the same as acid but not be permanent!

Reactions: EDcase and 2WV

CBRHoonigan

#1 Hoonigan
Apr 20, 2014
West yorkshire uk
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Anything with 2 wheels, ride it like you stole it.

Alright bro :) long time and yeh its not really bike jacking up our end its just the flat out robbing it from w here every its been parked

2WV

@2WheelVandal
Feb 25, 2017
South England
I ride a
A motorcycle, silly.
Alright bro :) long time and yeh its not really bike jacking up our end its just the flat out robbing it from w here every its been parked

Same in Southampton really. The struggle is real in London thats why its the way it is now sadly

Jafnhaar

Riding Triumph Sprint GT SE 1050
Jul 13, 2017
East Anglia, UK
I ride a
Triumph Sprint GT SE 1050
Police don't even chase them as its "too dangerous" for them to continue with the pursuit!!

Did anyone see the video of them 2 kids angle grinding a disc lock last week?

There were members of the public just walking past.... Does no one intervene in these things anymore?? They pull out their phones to record...

thunderous71

Daddy
Aug 4, 2011
Surrey
www.thunderous71.com
I ride a
Mt-09
Police don't even chase them as its "too dangerous" for them to continue with the pursuit!!

Did anyone see the video of them 2 kids angle grinding a disc lock last week?

There were members of the public just walking past.... Does no one intervene in these things anymore?? They pull out their phones to record...

Sadly this is true but it isn't the copper on the beat that gives up. They are told to give up by the control room. IE if the rider takes off their helmet they will most likely call the pursuit off. If the rider enters a build up area with lots of peds the pursuit is called off. The problem is if their is a fatality of the rider being chased by the Police papers like the Guardian make the thieves out to be heroes being run down by a corrupt police force. So sadly they now have to let them go most of the time encase the thieves hurt themselves.

2WV

@2WheelVandal
Feb 25, 2017
South England
I ride a
A motorcycle, silly.
Sadly this is true but it isn't the copper on the beat that gives up. They are told to give up by the control room. IE if the rider takes off their helmet they will most likely call the pursuit off. If the rider enters a build up area with lots of peds the pursuit is called off. The problem is if their is a fatality of the rider being chased by the Police papers like the Guardian make the thieves out to be heroes being run down by a corrupt police force. So sadly they now have to let them go most of the time encase the thieves hurt themselves.

That and the IPCC

Reactions: Jafnhaar

Jafnhaar

Riding Triumph Sprint GT SE 1050
Jul 13, 2017
East Anglia, UK
I ride a
Triumph Sprint GT SE 1050

Fucking ridiculous, thats why theres a high rate of bike thefts in London at the moment.. bacause of this very issue..
And the thieves know this!

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts