Show Your Motovlogging Setup!

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I see I haven't posted in this thread before, so I'll show a pic of my motovlog GoPro setup:

thumb3-gimp.jpg

Just my Hero 8 mounted to my helmet via a curved arm. No external mic, instead I have the Hero 8 mounted by my chin and put a foam deadcat over the internal mics. Works well honestly!

CubanRider

Wannabie Member
Jul 9, 2020
I ride a
BMW S1000XR
Here's the set-up that I have been running for over 3 years now. Hero5 Session, microphone adapter, Giant Squid Omnidirectional Mono microphone, Type-C to USB-A cable running to a 10Ah power bank on the jacket's chest pocket. Coupled with a 128GB card, I can record for over 8 hours at 1080p 60fps.

The set-up works amazing, with the caveat that I have to turn on the camera using the back button before I can hit record, otherwise it doesn't pick-up the microphone on the adapter.

18451489_1480198042022505_3441470723803557798_o.jpg

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I used to run the 5 Session as my primary too, in a similar setup, but it all stopped working with the battery bank for some reason (on 2 cameras at the same time weirdly).
I have made a video on how to fix the issue of no audio when you hit the one touch record if of interest to you, it is on the front page of my YouTube channel I think.
I really wish they would make a new Session, it was the perfect motovlogging camera when it worked with a powerbank! :)

Reactions: CubanRider

CubanRider

Wannabie Member
Jul 9, 2020
I ride a
BMW S1000XR
I used to run the 5 Session as my primary too, in a similar setup, but it all stopped working with the battery bank for some reason (on 2 cameras at the same time weirdly).
I have made a video on how to fix the issue of no audio when you hit the one touch record if of interest to you, it is on the front page of my YouTube channel I think.
I really wish they would make a new Session, it was the perfect motovlogging camera when it worked with a powerbank! :)

I'm right there with you, the Session is ideal for what we do, would love to see a newer one with hypersmooth.

It was really frustrating at first finding out that my Sony ECM-CS3 mic that I had with the Hero4 did not work anymore, plus the times that I hit record with no audio. It took me a while to figure it but it was worth it.

I've been lucky that the Hero5 Session has been very reliable for the past 3 years. I have it recording everywhere I ride, sometimes for 8+ hour days, but I know there may come the day that one of the pieces fail, that's why I'm trying to research newer set-ups.

Reactions: HippoDrone

CVentures

Rookie Rider
Aug 28, 2020
Maine
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2017 Beta 300RR
I’m really interested to know how or if anyone is attaching an external battery to the helmet and how to mount it on a not-flat surface. I have the GoPro on the chin, and i bought a nice compact 10000 Mah battery thats smallest i could find but I’m unsure how to best secure it.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I used to attach a battery, used velcro and it worked well but is not workable with the GoPro Hero 8 so easily as it can't charge and record at the same time, so needs the battery to be removed, and then if the lead gets caught it will shut off the camera. Worked well with my Hero 5 Session cameras when I ran them though! :)

ShiftHer

Wannabie Member
Nov 14, 2015
Chicago area
shifther.com
I ride a
Yamaha FZ-07
I’m really interested to know how or if anyone is attaching an external battery to the helmet and how to mount it on a not-flat surface. I have the GoPro on the chin, and i bought a nice compact 10000 Mah battery thats smallest i could find but I’m unsure how to best secure it.

I saw someone a few years ago with a neat solution. They attached a gopro mount to the battery and one to the helmet and connected them. That way it was removable when needed but secure when attached.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I've edited the photo to be full size rather than thumbnail so people can see it for you.

That looks quite neat, but if for trail riding, you may want a shorter power lead, or at least a more secured one as that will get pulled out if it snags on branches etc and will cause the recording to stop possibly :)

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Cor, that looks like it was a pain to sort the cabling! :)

Teh Purp

Friendly Neighbourhood Idiot
Aug 9, 2020
SCOTLAND!
I ride a
SFV650, NC700x, anything im given
Iv been lurking here far too much to not post my setups.... so here we go!

both helmets front.jpeg

The scorpion is my main setup, the osmo action is a far superior camera to the cheapy gopro clone.

what makes this set up work as it needs to is totally the mic addapter:

both helmets side.jpeg

the mic its attached to is one of the small flat sena mics, and iv bodged together an adapter to make it work....it does sometimes! decided to put a polerising lense just to see if it makes a diffrence, so far not noticed a whole lot of diffrence...

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
No pics, but I have a half helmet with the GoPro (Hero 8) stuck on the side, in a Media Mod. Ran a cord down to my lapel mic, which is clipped to the collar of my t-shirt. On a faired bike I get great audio up to 60 or 70mph, on non-faired bikes, 40mph is about where the wind noise takes over.

-John

TMackie

Up Shift Freak
Jun 12, 2020
Alberta , Canada
I ride a
Victory Vision 8 Ball , Indian Chieftain
Iv been lurking here far too much to not post my setups.... so here we go!

View attachment 5373

The scorpion is my main setup, the osmo action is a far superior camera to the cheapy gopro clone.

what makes this set up work as it needs to is totally the mic addapter:

View attachment 5374
the mic its attached to is one of the small flat sena mics, and iv bodged together an adapter to make it work....it does sometimes! decided to put a polerising lense just to see if it makes a diffrence, so far not noticed a whole lot of diffrence...
I prefer my Osmo Action to my GoPro as well.

Arfa

Beginner Biker Adventures
Nov 17, 2020
London
www.beginnerbiker.com
I ride a
Yamaha FZ6
My current setup is a Drift Ghost X bolted to the side of either my AGV k5 or Shoei Neotec lids. I did a blog post earlier in the year on the rest of my setup, but here's the main picture with all the juicy kit in it.

VLogging-Computer-Setup-2-labelled-1536x1134.jpg

Thinks haven't changed too much since I took this. Second monitor picked up a dodgy line, so has been replaced with a bigger/better display. I've recently picked up a DJI Osmo Mobile 3 gimbel to try and smooth out my hand shot footage. I don't use the Sony Digicam much these days, has a great lens, good for stills, but is geting on a bit and only handles 480p video capture.

As per my other thread, I'd like a better camera with some image stablisation, but I do really like the Ghost X. Great shape for side of helmet, the rotatable lens is brill for flexible setups,a dn the battery life is amazing, often 4-4.5 hrs on single charge! I'm currently mulling over a GoPro Hero 9, more for battery life over the Hero 8, but it's a lot of money...

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts