Show Your Motovlogging Setup!

CDA441

Red Viffer VTEC!
Apr 15, 2016
Belgium
cda441.wordpress.com
I ride a
'04 Honda VFR800 VTEC
Because Photobucket now asks about €/$400 for hosting on third party sites, I now use imgur.
Also: new helmet & visor.

Second photo shows how I mounted the microphone into the flip up part of the helmet :)
I now record in 1920x1080 60fps in XAVC format, but that makes the files 3x bigger, but weird enough it's faster to render...

Reactions: 2WV

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
My current setup. I have my Contour+2 on my helmet with a Olympus ME15 mic. I usually have another camera with a mini tripod in my backpack or in the pass seat. I go on photoshoots I the area so I have a backpack for my Canon camera.View attachment 2657
Wow that is A LOT of gear to carry!
Ok, I've uploaded the file.

First half is on E.C. Row Expressway, footage was taken the other day (with shield) and taken from my road rage vlog (without).

The second half is at regular road speeds. Once northbound (with deadcat) and the other southbound (without) on the same street.

I tried to be as fair as possible with my comparisons.

I'll let you guys be the judge. I find the best improvements were found at low speeds, and helmet noise is responsible for the bulk of the noise at high speeds, more than wind hitting the mic directly.

I think without the cat sounds better to me, as it feels more "open" to the ambient noises from your surroundings, the cat sort of muffs the world around you, if you get what I mean. I would just use an editor to clean up some of the wind noise from the no cat footage and call it a day. You want people to be able to hear you, and also hear the surroundings, feel the speed as they tag along for the ride.

chrisw959

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
www.chriswallace959.weebly.com
I ride a
2007 Hartford HD125L, 2013 Honda CB500X
Does anyone have a external battery pack? Where do you hid it?
I don't usually as the batteries in my Drift Ghost S last long enought however if I do I have a long cable run from my Drift (mounted to the right side on my helmet) and run the cable into my jacket (going down my back) and put the power bank into my left inside pocket.

Matt Leech

What chicken strips?
Jul 17, 2017
Sheffield
I ride a
BMW F800 GT
I don't usually as the batteries in my Drift Ghost S last long enought however if I do I have a long cable run from my Drift (mounted to the right side on my helmet) and run the cable into my jacket (going down my back) and put the power bank into my left inside pocket.
Hmmm, I've just realised something: The Ghost 4K uses the same USB port for external mic and charging, so maybe there's no way to record external-mic audio and charge simultaneously. I'll buy a USB splitter and give it a try.

CDA441

Red Viffer VTEC!
Apr 15, 2016
Belgium
cda441.wordpress.com
I ride a
'04 Honda VFR800 VTEC
I am in the same situation as chrisw959, cam on the right, powerbank on the left.
I don't use it a lot, because my ramblings are only 1 hour long max.

Matt Leech

What chicken strips?
Jul 17, 2017
Sheffield
I ride a
BMW F800 GT

GIZZ

Wannabie Member
Jul 25, 2017
Canada eh!
I ride a
K5 gsxr 1000
I need to upgrade my camera as I am using an old one to get started, but heres my setup...

Scorpion Exo Combat helmet
Go Pro Hero 3+ Black
Sony ECM CS3 Microphone - with external mic lead
Black Skeleton housing fitted with black M5 thumbscrews to make it more subtle.
I'm using a Hero 3 black as well, the images are clear enough and the color is good. The one thing it's lacking is stabilization. I'm using my sena 20s evo for the mic though the sena backpack. I want to get a forward facing cam with stabilization then point the hero 3 somewhere else, likely at me.

TheViking

The Viking Biker
Mar 21, 2018
Bedfordshire, UK
www.TheVikingBiker.co.uk
I ride a
Harley Davidson Sportster Iron 883
I'm using a Hero 3 black as well, the images are clear enough and the color is good. The one thing it's lacking is stabilization. I'm using my sena 20s evo for the mic though the sena backpack. I want to get a forward facing cam with stabilization then point the hero 3 somewhere else, likely at me.
I like it so far, although this was only a starting block for me to see if I could get used to it and get into it properly.
I'd like to upgrade to something newer, ideally the GoPro 5 or 6, although I'm not a massive fan of the large GoPro external mic box you now need. perhaps the GoPro 4 Black would be a better compromise.

HeyItsRick

MotoRickyRicardo
Apr 6, 2018
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2017 Harley Davidson Iron 833
Here's my setup, hoping to get a better helmet this summer.

Fly Tourist Helmet
GoPro Hero5 Session
GoPro Mic Adapter
Insten Mini Flexible Microphone

M5 Screws on all but the camera itself, had to sacrifice one for the B-Camera that I keep on the handlebars.
I had to use a curved extension to mount the camera in such a way that it doesnt block my visor lip.
6439449247596670391.jpg

My B-Camera is an ActiveOn CX HD Camera.

Reactions: HippoDrone

chrisw959

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
www.chriswallace959.weebly.com
I ride a
2007 Hartford HD125L, 2013 Honda CB500X
Got the Media Mod for my GoPro Hero 8 today so new helmet setup! :) The GoPro is mounted to the helmet with a 3D printed mount specifically for this helmet which is aces! :)

View attachment 4705
Looks better than the old dongle style adapter. Though why they just can’t put a god dam jack in the camera is beside me

• Love
Reactions: HippoDrone

GIZZ

Wannabie Member
Jul 25, 2017
Canada eh!
I ride a
K5 gsxr 1000
Since I posted here last I moved my hero 3 black to my “B” cam that records all multi vlog audio, I started using a GoPro 5 for “A” cam, then switched it up to a DJI osmo action while still using the hero 3 for audio. I was waiting to see someone mount the media mod on a helmet. It looks rather clunky there?? I’ll stick with my DJI osmo action.
44FACC6E-4F7B-42DF-9D34-1E89DCEB7C5D.png

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
Since I posted here last I moved my hero 3 black to my “B” cam that records all multi vlog audio, I started using a GoPro 5 for “A” cam, then switched it up to a DJI osmo action while still using the hero 3 for audio. I was waiting to see someone mount the media mod on a helmet. It looks rather clunky there?? I’ll stick with my DJI osmo action.
Aye, it would be smaller than the Hero 5 without the Media Mod attached, but I like to keep my helmet setup simple and just run the audio into the main camera rather than have wires everywhere.

Reactions: Meifesto

Winners Video

Latest posts