Can You Use Copyrighted Music in Vlogs - at all?

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
YOU CAN'T FIGHT CITY HALL - PT. 2

Just won my second copyright claim dispute against Youtube with my latest post. Here's a copy of my claim release letter. It's good to know you can push and fight back against these claim, especially when the alternative is having unwanted ads on your channel post.

- Wolf

Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 7.43.42 PM.png

Mr. G

Essential G
Nov 19, 2017
I ride a
V-Star 1300
It was really just a series of emails sent back an forth, but I could talk about how to pick copyright free music and the links I used to back up my claim in my dispute case.

- Wolf
That would be great

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
I have tried to use copyrighted material. I did not do my homework and the audio was blocked in most countries.
Not a vlog, but just a compilation video of some riding clips, I did, to show to my family.

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
The YouTube audio library is a good place to start for copyright free material. I use freemusicarchive.org as 99% of the music is under a Creative Commons liscense. The links to each track’s licensing agreement is what I used as proof to win my dispute.

- Wolf

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
So recently I received a couple of song claims on my older videos which I was using music not from the YT audio library. The claims were total bullshit, not at all by the original song maker, it was claimed by some shitty company by some stupid artist. Disputed their claims and they retracted their claim onto the video. That's the whole problem with using music.. Some random company and claim it saying it's by some random artist and own the monetary rights to it without missing a heartbeat. And if you don't dispute them, they claim it even though it's a false claim.

This is why I am so against using songs.. Full of potential bullshits out there easily putting their false claim on it and you must defend yourself. Guilty till proven innocent.

For the audio I use from the YT library I just pick the totally free ones and mainly use it for some really soft background music if my background is silent so that the video sound doesn't seem "hollow" or "empty". Other than that I usually steer clear from music.

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
Definitely know what you mean. The site I use has the license agreements for all of the songs posted there. I think my last two disputed claims were also from bogus record labels. I just put on my Producer/Lawyer hat and fill out the dispute form. It's part of the vlogging business on social medial entities.

- Wolf

Reactions: R-Rated

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
I have a few reviews of artists and just roll with their coyright claims as I'm trying to bring attention to tehir work and am happy for them to get a few cents if ads are placed on my vlogs. But in vlogs where I'm using music either for my intro or another spot where I need some ambiance I highly recommend making your friends famous if you have friends that are in bands or play music. Keep it DIY and independent if possible.

Reactions: R-Rated

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
I have a few reviews of artists and just roll with their coyright claims as I'm trying to bring attention to tehir work and am happy for them to get a few cents if ads are placed on my vlogs. But in vlogs where I'm using music either for my intro or another spot where I need some ambiance I highly recommend making your friends famous if you have friends that are in bands or play music. Keep it DIY and independent if possible.
Even if you do use your friend's music, and if your friend is not big or famous, still some random company can come and put their claim saying the song is from one of their jackass artist.. To me that is actually the core issue, random companies automatically claiming rights on your video, and you have to do all the defending and justifying.. It's not fair and really troublesome if you keep having to dispute false claims.

On the other hand if you did use a certain artist's music and it is claimed by the correct artist, I too have no issue with that. It's all the BS false claims that gets on my nerves.

Reactions: HippoDrone

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
Even if you use a friend’s or copyrighted material there could still be a strike or block against you. It comes down to who owns the actual copyright and whether or not they want their property to be exploited or saturated online or not. If it’s so saturated (viral video) that the ad money they make is nothing compared to their own marketing of the property they may want it pullled (because why would anyone pay for music if they can listen to it for free on a YouTube video?).

I’m about to disbute another copyright claim against the same video that I just won’t few weeks ago.

- Wolf

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Even if you use a friend’s or copyrighted material there could still be a strike or block against you. It comes down to who owns the actual copyright and whether or not they want their property to be exploited or saturated online or not. If it’s so saturated (viral video) that the ad money they make is nothing compared to their own marketing of the property they may want it pullled (because why would anyone pay for music if they can listen to it for free on a YouTube video?).

If it's a legit claim then it's fine to me, if you have the permission you can sort it out. If it's a bogus claim, then that pisses me off.

I’m about to disbute another copyright claim against the same video that I just won’t few weeks ago.

Good luck with that, you will probably win again but sooner or later it will get tedious and annoying to keep disputing those false claims over and over.

- Wolf
:)

HeyItsRick

MotoRickyRicardo
Apr 6, 2018
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2017 Harley Davidson Iron 833
I'm using epidemicsound.com

Chase on 2 Wheels, Do It With Dan and I think Bike N' Bird use the same service, I've found some really good tunes out of it and they've got alot of sound effects too.

HeyItsRick

MotoRickyRicardo
Apr 6, 2018
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2017 Harley Davidson Iron 833
Good selections. If only I had enough subs to monetize I could afford the subscriptions or track cost. Thanks for the link.

- Wolf
It's the only expense I'm willing to make towards this and even then I sometimes question whether or not its worth it. I also tried out supporting a patreon to a beat maker that I like (Lakey Inspired) but in the end there simply wasnt a diverse enough track selection for me to use on my videos.

Kjell

Philippine Rider
Nov 5, 2018
Mabalacat Philippines
kjelljansson.com
I ride a
Kawasaki Avenger 220 CC
I've noticed a few vloggers using music in their vlogs. I do, but mine is all creative commons, although I'd love to use some of my own personal favourites, I'm not sure of the legality. Can you use any part of a song if you give credit or link to a site that sells the song? Cheers, and sorry if this has been answered ad nauseam.
If You Moniize your videos with music you do not own rights to - Google will Put Adds most likely but the content owner of the music earns the $. It is not recomended,

M0T0B34R

M0T0 B34R
Jul 29, 2018
Columbus Ohio
I ride a
2014 FXDB
Actually you can. There are different licenses for music. Copyright doesn't mean you can't use it. It all depends on the license. Creative commons license for instance can mean there is some sort of stipulation around it like you have to attribute the artist, or there you can use the music if you include attribution and its for non-commercial use. There is also public domain use, allowed for commercial use (you usually have to pay for these), allowed for use in remix and/or video.

I use a site called
h t t p s : / / f r e e m u s i c a r c h i v e . o r g /

which allows you to search based on license. They also have links to the artist if you like their music you can license more music from a particular one.

Reactions: Theodor

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts