When Should I Start Uploading Material?

Canadiot

Wannabie Member
Mar 31, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I ride a
2006 Yamaha Virago
So I got my setup the way I want it, and I've started recording a whole bunch of material like channel and video intro's. My question is though, should I start posting as soon as I can, or should I wait until I have enough backup stuff to upload somewhat consistantly? I mean really I'm uploading just for the fun of doing it, but at the same time I don't wanna turn off potential viewers with stuff before I really get a lot of material ready. What do you guys think?

Canadiot

Wannabie Member
Mar 31, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I ride a
2006 Yamaha Virago
So you're saying to wait until I have lots of backup stuff then? Because another worry of mine is being in Canada I'm gonna have a long part of the year where I cant make any new stuff unless I find other things to fill the channel with in winter.

SalvageSV

Hopes he doesn't crash this month
Feb 18, 2016
Birmingham, AL
I ride a
Salvaged SV1000S
I think you can start uploading whenever you have final content, but promotion timing is much more important. You need a decent amount of content before you start doing any type of real promotion so that people see that you are committed. Get 5 or 6 solid videos up, then start getting the word out. Have an established posting schedule that you can follow and demonstrate.

F4celess

Cold
Dec 20, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer
So you're saying to wait until I have lots of backup stuff then? Because another worry of mine is being in Canada I'm gonna have a long part of the year where I cant make any new stuff unless I find other things to fill the channel with in winter.

I have the same concerns, my current plans is to simply go on hiatus, and maybe try to offer other content in the winter months. Alternatively I'd save up content I can use for randomness vids during the off-time. Simply recording all the time and storing anything interesting for later would be the way to go.

I started out even before I got my bike, which I don't recommend, I got 2 vids up now, where I spend time talking about bikes in my car. Which is far from optimal, and I can't even make any bike-specific vids because I have to sort out stuff to get the thing on the road (plates etc).
So I recommend waiting until you got a bit of content, if you have the chance to record enough to cover the next week you might as well get stuff out there, backlogs gives you a buffer, but if your content reflects the news in any way you might not want to be too late either.

Canadiot

Wannabie Member
Mar 31, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I ride a
2006 Yamaha Virago
I think you can start uploading whenever you have final content, but promotion timing is much more important. You need a decent amount of content before you start doing any type of real promotion so that people see that you are committed. Get 5 or 6 solid videos up, then start getting the word out. Have an established posting schedule that you can follow and demonstrate.
That makes sense. Thanks for the tips.

Pigs

Wannabie Member
Dec 4, 2015
Portland, OR
I ride a
zx6r
Right? That's kind of what I want to do. I've got an intro I'm pretty happy with and am in the process of editing some other content. So I figure I might as well get as much out as I can
Putting too much thought into it. You don't have any videos up now and you're talking about having videos in a year. Upload and be happy :)

BbqRider

Wannabie Member
Aug 30, 2015
I ride a
Suzuki DR650
Honestly I don't think it matters. I tried to build up a reserve of videos before "coming onto the scene" but I really doubt it makes a difference. Months later and my channel is still too small for it to have made a difference. Try to build up enough videos so you can upload regularly even if you have mic problems or something similar, but as Pigs says, don't over-think it. There's no formula for being successful from the start. Just upload and be active on other peoples vids and your channel will grow just like everyone else's.

jthomas

jthomas1310
Jan 9, 2016
Australia
I ride a
2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
A new viewer/subscriber most likely wont religiously go through all you content anyway. But having a few there can help to show that its more than one of those channels that does one video and gets over it. I like to see that there is regular content coming out for a channel when I subscribe, unless I see something that looks promising and will watch out for it. When you launch prolly have a few out to start with and the channel trailer to show what your going to be about and then keep pumping out a weekly vid. But ultimately, the only thing that gets attention is good content, grow and learn with your channel and have fun with it, thats what counts.

TheDutchTexan

Wannabie Member
Jul 2, 2013
I ride a
bicycle...
Just go for it. But my hot tip? Forget about more than 1 video a week. It is a huge time waster when your channel is young or does not have a huge subscriber base. I went from 3-4 to 2 to 1 at the moment per week. Sometimes there are more, sometimes it takes a little more than a week for a new video to hit. The funny thing? I get more views now with less than I did in the past. Quality > Quantity. Unless you have 100K subscribers. They will probably gobble up everything you produce (within reason)!

Reactions: BridgeCity

KittenMeat

Wannabie Member
Nov 15, 2015
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800xc
Suzuki Sv650-R
focus on doing the best you can with what you have. You'll naturally cut out a lot of stuff. You have to make a few rough edits before you can watch it again and see what you liked/hated, then go out and shoot with that in mind.

every vid, write down a few things you would do differently/better, then do it next time.

1/week is a lot starting out, which is where I'm still at.

Canadiot

Wannabie Member
Mar 31, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I ride a
2006 Yamaha Virago
Thanks for all the tips guys. I uploaded a (somewhat rough, but decent) copy of my intro for some friends to see and got some good feedback, so between that and all the positive response here I think I'm going to start uploading as soon as I possibly can.

SalvageSV

Hopes he doesn't crash this month
Feb 18, 2016
Birmingham, AL
I ride a
Salvaged SV1000S
Thanks for all the tips guys. I uploaded a (somewhat rough, but decent) copy of my intro for some friends to see and got some good feedback, so between that and all the positive response here I think I'm going to start uploading as soon as I possibly can.
FYI, there is a specific section here on the forum to post intros for feedback if you're interested.

BbqRider

Wannabie Member
Aug 30, 2015
I ride a
Suzuki DR650
Just go for it. But my hot tip? Forget about more than 1 video a week. It is a huge time waster when your channel is young or does not have a huge subscriber base. I went from 3-4 to 2 to 1 at the moment per week. Sometimes there are more, sometimes it takes a little more than a week for a new video to hit. The funny thing? I get more views now with less than I did in the past. Quality > Quantity. Unless you have 100K subscribers. They will probably gobble up everything you produce (within reason)!

This x1000

I would actually love it if all the people I'm subbed to would upload just one vid a week. I just don't have time to watch more than that and that means I will often skip some vids simply because I can't watch that many per week

Reactions: TheDutchTexan

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
If you have something ready to post.. Just post it up. If you have a lot of things to post, then pace your posting. You can still upload them all at once but set the publish date to space them apart. You don't want to be spamming videos in your sub's news feed. Also, people are likely to skip watching multiple new videos from a single user posted at the same time. Unless every one of the videos are of you crashing/falling/chased by police, etc.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts