Think For The Car And Yourself - Near Miss

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
Of course, which way do you swerve. If he'd not stopped as you swerved right, could have been a collision. Had you swerved left and he didn't stop, you'd have passed behind, but he did stop.

Biggest question for any rider is, could I have stopped safely in the distance?

All about planning the ride and running the what ifs.

dandoolittle

Site owner, lovely and adorable
Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K7 track/race bike
Kawasaki ZX6R 98 race bike
MiniMotos
I'm gonna be fair on the driver here... I was going too quick for that road so it would have been a 50/50% in a claim.... If I didn't KO'd

That was MY choice but I forward planned as I knew it was coming.

I thnk a lot of people on bikes get KO'd because they won't go on that side of the road to be honest... Or most will target fixate which is the killer IMO

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
I'm gonna be fair on the driver here... I was going too quick for that road so it would have been a 50/50% in a claim.... If I didn't KO'd

That was MY choice but I forward planned as I knew it was coming.

I thnk a lot of people on bikes get KO'd because they won't go on that side of the road to be honest... Or most will target fixate which is the killer IMO

People need to realise that you can use all of the road if it's safe and legal to do so, but need to understand why and what the benefits are. Should certainly be considered as part of your B plan.

Reactions: dandoolittle

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
My answer is YES.. Its just that he stopped so I didn't have too

This. People forget this.

How many people think about if there's any hidden turnings ahead, or that low 2 seater you can't see lower than the hedge line?

dandoolittle

Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
MiniMotos
low 2 seater you can't see lower than the hedge line?

Funny you say that. I took out two CBT students once. The one in front decided to red line the YBR to get past a car, probs doing 58mph, the YBR screamed like anything and I had to just let him do it, rather than shout down the radio as didn't want to put him off.

It was a sweeping road to the right, you could see for miles over the hedges....... But he didn't see the Kit Car coming the other way!!! To this day, I have no idea how he didn't end up splattered on the driver.

Needless to say, I refused to 'pass' him that day and he had to come back for another day

dandoolittle

Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
MiniMotos
Nice reaction, this happens to me quite frequently where I live. People just don't pay attention.

I find that if something happens a lot to a rider its not the other people who's the issue ;)

However, I'm speaking from a UK point of view, our roads are actually pretty safe and we have a LOT of marketing about looking out for bikes etc

Reactions: burlyjack

burlyjack

The bearded dude with a cool YouTube
Oct 10, 2015
Oklahoma, USA
I ride a
2004 Honda VTX 1300
I find that if something happens a lot to a rider its not the other people who's the issue ;)

However, I'm speaking from a UK point of view, our roads are actually pretty safe and we have a LOT of marketing about looking out for bikes etc

Lol maybe my chrome isn't shiny enough. People here in the good ol' USA are usually paying too much attention to their phones. Plus most people here suffer from HUA (head up ass) disorder. Not me though, I'm the best ;).

dandoolittle

Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
MiniMotos
Lol maybe my chrome isn't shiny enough. People here in the good ol' USA are usually paying too much attention to their phones. Plus most people here suffer from HUA (head up ass) disorder. Not me though, I'm the best ;).

Sounds very much like the UK ha

Its only the 'ThinkBike' campaigns that I think helps here anyway. Although, I personally think the campaign makes people who ride bikes look like idiots so its made people think 'fuck off'

http://think.direct.gov.uk/motorcycles.html

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
Funny you say that. I took out two CBT students once. The one in front decided to red line the YBR to get past a car, probs doing 58mph, the YBR screamed like anything and I had to just let him do it, rather than shout down the radio as didn't want to put him off.

It was a sweeping road to the right, you could see for miles over the hedges....... But he didn't see the Kit Car coming the other way!!! To this day, I have no idea how he didn't end up splattered on the driver.

Needless to say, I refused to 'pass' him that day and he had to come back for another day

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1505996222766292&id=134885869877341&ref=bookmarks

dandoolittle

Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
MiniMotos
So if you are going faster than the speed limit, especially on twisties, then you can expect cars to pull out in front of you because YOU are going too fast for them to see.

Which is why I've refrained from the 'cars are crap, using their phones, he tried to kill me' route -

I would say this was actually 50/50% for the reason you stated

dandoolittle

Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
MiniMotos
Yep, I got that you are more experienced/mature to go down that route ;)

Life's too short to pass blame when there's video evidence of both parties ha

Robbie fair once again - her taking the choice to stop where she did shows she's actually a decent driver, just cocked Up

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts