Serious Suzuki Twisties Crash

IronicRbnd

Wannabie Member
Jul 16, 2015
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2014 Honda CBR650F
Looked like he took a bad line, possible target fixation, and jammed the rear brake to try to get out of it. Definitely replace the skid lid. Don't even think twice. Good on you being there for your friend and staying calm for him. Hope he is alright.
He's doing OK and we road another 600km that day, albeit it did shake him up

IronicRbnd

Wannabie Member
Jul 16, 2015
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2014 Honda CBR650F
Sorry he went down but glad him and the bike are ok. And advice for new riders to avoid this ?
Trust your bike and tires, bike in many and most cases can and will lean more, if you mess up your line don't worry about it and focus on the next turn, look well ahead and to where you want to be after the turn, never at the inside our outside of the turn right in front of ypu

Reactions: Jay Moto

DanielJ

Wannabie Member
Sep 5, 2016
I ride a
Ninja ZX6R.
Clear cut target fixated, we hit the same roads at twice the speed the day prior when I was leading

Ah cheers for the clarification. Also didn't realize it was your own video / ride! Distractions at work. :eek:

Just goes to show, little things can distract us while riding..... or just taking your mind off the task in hand. :)

Jay Moto

Mysticmoto
Sep 1, 2016
Seattle WA
I ride a
Kawasaki 300 Ninja 2014 SE
Trust your bike and tires, bike in many and most cases can and will lean more, if you mess up your line don't worry about it and focus on the next turn, look well ahead and to where you want to be after the turn, never at the inside our outside of the turn right in front of ypu
Thanks for that I going to try working this more.

dandoolittle

Site owner, lovely and adorable
Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K7 track/race bike
Kawasaki ZX6R 98 race bike
MiniMotos
Trust your bike and tires,

What people seem to forget!!

The machine you're riding is perfect engineering. The rider isn't. In most cases, unless you're a Rossi, any bike will out perform the rider.... Even a scooter, argh! Trust is the key

Reactions: IronicRbnd

dandoolittle

Site owner, lovely and adorable
Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K7 track/race bike
Kawasaki ZX6R 98 race bike
MiniMotos
Thanks for that I going to try working this more.

You want to be looking at the furthest distance, and keep your eyes going with the road!!

Also, at the same time you should always be able to stop, safely within that distance as well... Basically never ride at 100% talent... Always 75% and keep the rest as back up

Reactions: Jay Moto

Jay Moto

Mysticmoto
Sep 1, 2016
Seattle WA
I ride a
Kawasaki 300 Ninja 2014 SE
You want to be looking at the furthest distance, and keep your eyes going with the road!!

Also, at the same time you should always be able to stop, safely within that distance as well... Basically never ride at 100% talent... Always 75% and keep the rest as back up
That is probably the best advice I heard 75/25. ! And somthing to keep in mind. Thanks so much.

DanielJ

Wannabie Member
Sep 5, 2016
I ride a
Ninja ZX6R.
....yeah I've watched a YouTube video on Bike road craft, where the guy talks about looking up the road to the vanishing point / furthest point of the bend where it disappears... plus ensuring your current speed is suitable that you can stop within that distance, should there be an obstruction just past that perspective point, queue of cars, etc...

Obviously that vanishing (perspective) point will be further or nearer, depending if you are on a straight, negotiating a slight bend, or sharp bend.... Why go into a corner "blind" at full speed, ASSUMING there wont be something just around that corner (you've not yet seen)!?

Reactions: IronicRbnd

IronicRbnd

Wannabie Member
Jul 16, 2015
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2014 Honda CBR650F
What people seem to forget!!

The machine you're riding is perfect engineering. The rider isn't. In most cases, unless you're a Rossi, any bike will out perform the rider.... Even a scooter, argh! Trust is the key
this is true, most can never fully use the potential of their ride... and if they can its likely on to be on a track, not back roads

IronicRbnd

Wannabie Member
Jul 16, 2015
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2014 Honda CBR650F
....yeah I've watched a YouTube video on Bike road craft, where the guy talks about looking up the road to the vanishing point / furthest point of the bend where it disappears... plus ensuring your current speed is suitable that you can stop within that distance, should there be an obstruction just past that perspective point, queue of cars, etc...

Obviously that vanishing (perspective) point will be further or nearer, depending if you are on a straight, negotiating a slight bend, or sharp bend.... Why go into a corner "blind" at full speed, ASSUMING there wont be something just around that corner (you've not yet seen)!?

I have had more than a few instances where the corner ends up with gravel, potholes or an oncoming vehicle straying into your lane, all setups for a very bad day and out of your control ultimately on open country backroads.

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
But that's what proper road positioning and appropriate speed mitigates.

Position for an early view, adjust speed for the ability to stop in the distance you can see to be clear on your side of the road. Half that distance if it's a narrow/single track.

If you see a vehicle you should be able to pull the bike up and to the side, and in ANY bend you don't know what's out of sight. Animals, a breakdown, some gravel etc, be able to stop in time.

If you think bends are to be tackled at the highest speed you or your tyres can hold on for then it's been nice knowing you.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts