So a couple of new cameras rumoured! <3

Ride_NZ

Wannabie Member
Oct 11, 2015
New Zealand
I ride a
1995 Kawasaki ZZR600, 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000
It looks very much like the Media Module which you are required to buy for a mic input, is NOT waterproof. So those of us in 'changeable climate' countries will be out of luck using this camera for motovlogging. And now with the Osmo Action being quite a bit less expensive and finally having an official mic adapter available, I'm going the Osmo route, sorry GoPro you lost me there...

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
It looks very much like the Media Module which you are required to buy for a mic input, is NOT waterproof. So those of us in 'changeable climate' countries will be out of luck using this camera for motovlogging.
I didnt even think about this, but yes its not waterproof. Pointless for me as in summer it'll go from full sunshine to raining on a 20km trip home.

Reactions: RideOnTwo and HRMV

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
It looks very much like the Media Module which you are required to buy for a mic input, is NOT waterproof. So those of us in 'changeable climate' countries will be out of luck using this camera for motovlogging. And now with the Osmo Action being quite a bit less expensive and finally having an official mic adapter available, I'm going the Osmo route, sorry GoPro you lost me there...

Ah that is a bit shit, especially when much of the competition can offer external mic options that are waterproof.

Reactions: RideOnTwo

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Lol... In Scotland you can look outside and it can be sunny and by the time you have your bike keys in hand it can be monsoon season lol
Then you have to spend another 5 minutes moving your GoPro 8 from the media module to the waterproof case, then only realizing you still need to put your rainsuit on.

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
Then you have to spend another 5 minutes moving your GoPro 8 from the media module to the waterproof case, then only realizing you still need to put your rainsuit on.

Exactly lol. Think I will be sticking with what I have or alternative options that are waterproof.

DB Moto

"Spirited" Supersport Motovlogger
Oct 23, 2019
Auckland, New Zealand
I ride a
2018 Yamaha R6
It sure is out! :cool: There's a video on my channel with me talking about my new Hero 8 Black that I managed to snag from the local tech store. It's pretty epic - the last GoPro I had was the Hero 4 Silver, so this was a massive step up.

I've just finished editing a multicam video with my old Hero 4 Silver and the new Hero 8 Black - not far away now!

Feel free to ask any questions if you want to know more about what it's like.

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: RideOnTwo and HRMV

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
It sure is out! :cool: There's a video on my channel with me talking about my new Hero 8 Black that I managed to snag from the local tech store. It's pretty epic - the last GoPro I had was the Hero 4 Silver, so this was a massive step up.

I've just finished editing a multicam video with my old Hero 4 Silver and the new Hero 8 Black - not far away now!

Feel free to ask any questions if you want to know more about what it's like.

View attachment 4584
Will check out your review too.

Reactions: RideOnTwo

DB Moto

"Spirited" Supersport Motovlogger
Oct 23, 2019
Auckland, New Zealand
I ride a
2018 Yamaha R6
Will check out your review too.
Thanks! Fair warning though - You'll be a little disappointed if you're looking for a review, since I really only talk about how excited I am to use it. I'm more than happy to do a practical review after using it for a while, if that's something you'd be interested in.
The 8 looks so bulky with the mic adapter on it, and worst of all, the mic input is on the back instead of on the side.
If you have an angled adapter it should be fine. I guess..
I know! I have to say that this is probably the biggest downfall that I've seen in the way of the new design. Having said that, I think I understand the compromises that they're making and their reasoning. I see it as focusing more on video quality and migration to modern technology such as USB-C, which might restrict them from keeping useful features from the old design. I was going to buy the mic adapter for hooking up to my in-helmet microphone, but decided to buy the Zoom H2n instead since the GoPro 8 mic adapter doesn't appear to be waterproof, either.

Reactions: CDA441 and HRMV

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
Thanks! Fair warning though - You'll be a little disappointed if you're looking for a review, since I really only talk about how excited I am to use it. I'm more than happy to do a practical review after using it for a while, if that's something you'd be interested in.

I know! I have to say that this is probably the biggest downfall that I've seen in the way of the new design. Having said that, I think I understand the compromises that they're making and their reasoning. I see it as focusing more on video quality and migration to modern technology such as USB-C, which might restrict them from keeping useful features from the old design. I was going to buy the mic adapter for hooking up to my in-helmet microphone, but decided to buy the Zoom H2n instead since the GoPro 8 mic adapter doesn't appear to be waterproof, either.

To be honest dude I will enjoy both. Reviews are good but can all become a bit samey.

Reactions: DB Moto

CDA441

Red Viffer VTEC!
Apr 15, 2016
Belgium
cda441.wordpress.com
I ride a
'04 Honda VFR800 VTEC

I've recently upgraded to a Hero 7 Black and I still think that the older design with that huge dongle is easier to work with. That said, hot swapping batteries on the GH8 is faster, if you don't use the mod. If you use the mod then it makes it even more difficult because you have to remove the camera from the cage first. To me, the user friendlyness hasn't been improved with the Hero 8. It probably has even worsened with the non exchangeable lens protector. (where you need Gopro plus as a replacement insurance). The mic adapter for the Hero7B isn't waterproof either, but I ride in all weather and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I just insured the camera is as waterproof as it can get (plugging the open connections with poster putty, it doesn't get messy :) )

Ride_NZ

Wannabie Member
Oct 11, 2015
New Zealand
I ride a
1995 Kawasaki ZZR600, 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000
I’ve purchased an Osmo Action and the official mic adapter. So has Volgnit. His sounds terrible and mine doesn’t even work. I don’t know what he plans to do but I’m trying to return my adapter and I’ll just use my 10C Pro to record audio

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R-Rated Camera Setups 18

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts