Smaller Bikes

F4celess

Cold
Dec 20, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer
But as 99% of mopeds and scooters here in the Netherlands are automatic or even single speeds or whatever, (I don't know anything about scooters) you can't really identify them with (real) motorcycles.

This is why my criteria is having the gears. Having ridden scooters on occation I find them to be boring, uninvolved modes of transportation. Anyone who goes trough the trouble of learning manual shifting deserves to be considered a motorcyclist.

Remember, there is plenty of moped riders with more experience than those "motorcyclists" who buys their midlife crisis bike only to let it sit in the shed for 4 years before selling it.

Reactions: DDR

RoadSprock

Original Vlogs
Mar 7, 2016
United Kingdom
I ride a
KTM 690 Supermoto/ Triumph Speed Triple 1050
gorgeous yooooo my god <3

<3<3

I probably would not have considered you a biker. But I when I would see you ride by I might wave because it easy to mistake it for a bigger bike.

I'd still of waved back, why wouldn't you of considered me a biker though? Same gear carried around everyday, I'd get soaked the same as you, I'd sweat my nuts off in the heat. The only thing is the power side, which I could say if I bought a s1000rr/hayabusa would I consider you a biker? ;)

RangerRide

RangerRides
Apr 25, 2016
tucson
I ride a
07 trx250ex
I probably would not have considered you a biker. But I when I would see you ride by I might wave because it easy to mistake it for a bigger bike.

But as 99% of mopeds and scooters here in the Netherlands are automatic or even single speeds or whatever, (I don't know anything about scooters) you can't really identify them with (real) motorcycles.
wave to any one 2 wheels or on a atv where all the same group no mater what you believe scooter quad dual sport mini bike cruiser we all ride for the same reason

Reize

2 Wheeled Islander
Jan 20, 2016
Singapore
www.reizeprimus.tk
I ride a
DRZ400SM / Shadow 400 ACE / ZX6R
This is why my criteria is having the gears. Having ridden scooters on occation I find them to be boring, uninvolved modes of transportation. Anyone who goes trough the trouble of learning manual shifting deserves to be considered a motorcyclist.
Actually, if anyone wants to be really pedantic, a scooter is just as much a real motorcycle as any other manual bike.

Motorcycle really just means anything with 2 wheels powered by a motor at it's base, so even automatic electric scooters with a sidecar are technically motor cycles.

And stuff like the Can Am Spyder is a Motor tricycle, despite often being lumped with the former.

F4celess

Cold
Dec 20, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer
Actually, if anyone wants to be really pedantic, a scooter is just as much a real motorcycle as any other manual bike.

Motorcycle really just means anything with 2 wheels powered by a motor at it's base, so even automatic electric scooters with a sidecar are technically motor cycles.

And stuff like the Can Am Spyder is a Motor tricycle, despite often being lumped with the former.

Agreed, there is indeed no reason not even a goped with a seat shouldn't be considered a form of motorcycle. And like I said earlier. Its all the same in the big picture.
However
I also said that if a line between motorcycles and non-motorcycles had to be drawn, people tend to place it at 50cc. This discussion isn't about technical specs and hard facts. Its about what we consider worthy of the title "motorcycle" in purpose and dedication. You certainly don't greet the rider of a bicycle with the electric helper motors like you greet the rider of a Honda CB650.

Where I live, you can drive a Can Am Spyder with your car license. Does that make their owners motorcyclists? It has the performance, the rider is still has to endure the weather. And they are still subject to the safety gear. On the other hand, it is no different than driving a car with no roof. Such as a Caterham or Ariel Atom.

My criteria of having gears. Along with other qualities of 2-wheel powered travel, is subjective. With things like rider dedication and involvement being part of it.

Remember the original question of the thread. "Where is the border between commuter and rider to you?"(paraphrased).

BurntRuber

Burnt Rubber TV
Apr 8, 2016
Florida
I ride a
DRZ400SM and random stuff people let me ride
I fucking love small bikes. It's so much more of an achievement when they are fast from something so small.

Reize

2 Wheeled Islander
Jan 20, 2016
Singapore
www.reizeprimus.tk
I ride a
DRZ400SM / Shadow 400 ACE / ZX6R
Remember the original question of the thread. "Where is the border between commuter and rider to you?"(paraphrased).
Lol, no border personally.

To me if the mode of transportation being used is a motorcycle (or even a bicycle, or a horse), a commuter = rider.

I'm a definition kind of guy. Your mode of transport requires you to straddle it? You're a rider. Are you going somewhere on that mode of transport other than purely for leisure? You're a commuter too.

SteinerOTR

Wannabie Member
Jul 19, 2016
I ride a
Kawasaki
i currently have my second ninja 250r, and it has it's place in between a zxr750 and a hornet 600. the small bikes are so friggin light, with the right tires and skill you can give a lot of guys a run for their money in the corners, in the straights not so much but then again any tool can be fast there.

DDR

Wannabie Member
May 17, 2016
I ride a
Honda CB125F
i currently have my second ninja 250r, and it has it's place in between a zxr750 and a hornet 600. the small bikes are so friggin light, with the right tires and skill you can give a lot of guys a run for their money in the corners, in the straights not so much but then again any tool can be fast there.

Ditto on small bikes being light and maneuverable. I always tell myself that any idiot could speed but what makes one skilled is the ability to maneuver well.

I also say that cause I lack the licence to get bigger bikes :)

Reactions: SteinerOTR

SteinerOTR

Wannabie Member
Jul 19, 2016
I ride a
Kawasaki
Ditto on small bikes being light and maneuverable. I always tell myself that any idiot could speed but what makes one skilled is the ability to maneuver well.

I also say that cause I lack the licence to get bigger bikes :)

I have the bigger bikes, if i would do with them what i do with my 250 crashing would be the least of my worries, id be dead. Smaller bikes (though preferably above 125cc are by far the best choice to begin with, enough power to get going not too much power to get you in serious trouble and you can truly learn how to ride, in combination with extra lessons if you choose to. This could be track riding lesson's or advanced maneuvers lesson's or both. It's sad when you see guys who have been riding for over a decade being unable to make a u turn or when they need 6 lanes to make a u turn or something.

Flyboy

Ninja Flyboy
Jul 23, 2016
Canada
I ride a
Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R on the street and a Kawasaki KX 450F in the dirt.
The way I look at it, if you ride something with two wheels and a motor, we need to sit down and have a beer or two, or three, or four - you catch my drift. Just cause I have a ZX14R, I'm no better than the moped guy next to me. It could be Giacoma Agostini on a Sunday moped rip. Wouldn't want to miss that beer sitdown.
However, to those guys that do have attitude and think they are the best, it sure is fun destroying you.

Reactions: SteinerOTR

Cynglen

Wannabie Member
Aug 29, 2016
Kansas City, KS
I ride a
2015 Ninja 300
I'll wave to anyone on two wheels. Though I do tend to have the following thoughts for different bikes:

Sport Bike (what I ride): Awesome man, let's ride sometime!
Cruiser: Bigger & more laid back, enjoy! (though this category usually has the no-gear riders which I think are poor decision makers)
Standard: Brap on, ride safe.
Scooters: zoom zoom!

I do hope one day to get to be in 50cc scooter race and "hooligan" through the subdivisions :D

SteinerOTR

Wannabie Member
Jul 19, 2016
I ride a
Kawasaki
I'll wave to anyone on two wheels. Though I do tend to have the following thoughts for different bikes:

Sport Bike (what I ride): Awesome man, let's ride sometime!
Cruiser: Bigger & more laid back, enjoy! (though this category usually has the no-gear riders which I think are poor decision makers)
Standard: Brap on, ride safe.
Scooters: zoom zoom!

I do hope one day to get to be in 50cc scooter race and "hooligan" through the subdivisions :D
i usually ignore scooters. mainly 16 year old douchebags here that ride scooters.

Captain

Professional Amateur Vlogger
Aug 15, 2016
West Yorkshire. England
I ride a
2008 Yamaha R125
2001 Honda CBR929RR
Only just seen this thread. if I can stick my two-penneth in and say I have a Yamaha R125 as well as the Fireblade. To tell the truth I love riding the 125 bike with all the gear changing. I remember when I used to use it for ride outs. When you arrived at the meeting point you felt like you'd actually achieved something when you get off the bike. Whereas on the Fireblade you feel like you've just got to the meeting point really quickly.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts