Share A Noobie Vlogging Tip!!

Captain

Professional Amateur Vlogger
Aug 15, 2016
West Yorkshire. England
I ride a
2008 Yamaha R125
2001 Honda CBR929RR
If your stuck on what to talk about to get started on the vlogging stage then I wou
Test your audio before you do anything, and by that I mean at a stand still, visor up, visor down, full throttle, half throttle, and anything else you can think of.
Definitely check the microphone position if you intend on making a 'riding' vlog rather than one where your talking. you'll be surprised what the microphone pics up that you don't normally hear. For example I tried putting the microphone under the pillion seat thinking it would pick up the exhaust note on a ride out. But when I watched the footage back it had also picked up the sound of the gears being selected and some gearbox whine.

JBH

Wannabie Member
Jul 29, 2015
I ride a
Kawasaki Z750
Well, pretty much everything has already been said :D but another thing to keep in mind is to try and not care about the subs that you think you should have, but care about the ones you do have. Just make sure that your video and audio quality is good. You can have the most amazing roads and scenery but bad video quality can completely ruin it. You can have the most amazing stories to tell, but if you're mic is crap then people aren't even gonna understand what you are saying. Those are the key features that any vlogger HAS to get straightened out first. You can worry about everything else later!

Reactions: Hakz and Captain

XeonGhos7

Rookie Rider
Sep 5, 2016
India
xeonghos7.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSX-150F
Plan your vlog ahead of time. Rehearse if you have to. Use the scheduling feature on YouTube when uploading videos saves a lot of time.

Don't take it too seriously, have fun while doing it otherwise the attitude reflects in the video.

Be creative, nothing wrong in copying certain patterns from other Motovlogger.

DanielJ

Wannabie Member
Sep 5, 2016
I ride a
Ninja ZX6R.
Yeah but its not always easy to press the stop/start button, especially on a busy commute.

I tried doing this, just as I approached an excellent section of filtering through traffic.

Excitedly looked for the video on the Camera microSD card after I got home, only to realize I must have hit the wrong button on the Cam, as there was no footage of the filtering! :mad: :(

- - -

Do you guys just have your Cam set to record video constantly, and fill up the memory card, then begin overwriting the oldest video files as its writing new video content?

Suppose it depends if you set out and record 30 minutes footage that you will chop up into a single video. OR, you just record constantly, then cut and paste bits of video together as and when, to create a vLog.

F4celess

Cold
Dec 20, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer
Do you guys just have your Cam set to record video constantly, and fill up the memory card, then begin overwriting the oldest video files as its writing new video content?

I wipe my cards after use. Even if there is plenty of space left.

Captain

Aug 15, 2016
West Yorkshire. England
I ride a
2008 Yamaha R125
2001 Honda CBR929RR
I tried doing this, just as I approached an excellent section of filtering through traffic.

Excitedly looked for the video on the Camera microSD card after I got home, only to realize I must have hit the wrong button on the Cam, as there was no footage of the filtering! :mad: :(

- - -

Suppose it depends if you set out and record 30 minutes footage that you will chop up into a single video. OR, you just record constantly, then cut and paste bits of video together as and when, to create a vLog.
I start the camera recording as I start putting on my bike gear to ensure i doesn't trip out of recording during the first minute or so. Leave the camera running for the duration of the ride then transfer it straight onto laptop when i return and wipe the sd card clear again.

Nothing worse than going out for a good vlog only to find the memory card is full 5 mins into journey.

Reactions: Hakz and DanielJ

DanielJ

Wannabie Member
Sep 5, 2016
I ride a
Ninja ZX6R.
I start the camera recording as I start putting on my bike gear to ensure i doesn't trip out of recording during the first minute or so. Leave the camera running for the duration of the ride then transfer it straight onto laptop when i return and wipe the sd card clear again.

Nothing worse than going out for a good vlog only to find the memory card is full 5 mins into journey.

Sounds methodical / logical. Will do it this way myself....

I quite recently passed my 'big bike' tests so have only been riding proper ;) for a couple of months.
I've equipped my helmet with a mount for my Cam. I DO feel much more self conscious, with the Camera hanging off the helmet (compared to riding without it).

It recently passed the motorway test :D ...the mount at least - was expecting the lot to get ripped off at speed.

Mine is set to record 10 minute vids, then save, then record (to help keep the output video files manageable).
But 10mins of footage is 1GB !! That's a lot of media to scan through, on say an hours ride! :rolleyes:

Captain

Aug 15, 2016
West Yorkshire. England
I ride a
2008 Yamaha R125
2001 Honda CBR929RR
Sounds methodical / logical. Will do it this way myself....

I quite recently passed my 'big bike' tests so have only been riding proper ;) for a couple of months.
I've equipped my helmet with a mount for my Cam. I DO feel much more self conscious, with the Camera hanging off the helmet (compared to riding without it).

It recently passed the motorway test :D ...the mount at least - was expecting the lot to get ripped off at speed.

Mine is set to record 10 minute vids, then save, then record (to help keep the output video files manageable).
But 10mins of footage is 1GB !! That's a lot of media to scan through, on say an hours ride! :rolleyes:
My Drift records half hour sections about 2.5gb. Maybe problem with 10min intervals is you will always have a small section missing between files. And if your talking at that part then the words may be distorted when you join the files back together in editing.

Congrats on passing your test. I went out 3 days after and bought a Fireblade!!

Reactions: DanielJ

DanielJ

Wannabie Member
Sep 5, 2016
I ride a
Ninja ZX6R.
My Drift records half hour sections about 2.5gb. Maybe problem with 10min intervals is you will always have a small section missing between files. And if your talking at that part then the words may be distorted when you join the files back together in editing.

Congrats on passing your test. I went out 3 days after and bought a Fireblade!!

Many thanks! ...where's the :thumbsup: smiley when you need it! :D

Love the Fireblades! I actually bought my ZX6R (cheap) about a year ago, and have been tidying it up since. So to have that sat there so long without being legally able to ride it - feels fantastic to finally be able to take the bike out properly!

Appreciate your feedback, will change the Camera settings, so it records 30 min videos each. Will probably be seeing similar size files (2.5 - 3.0Gb). Am recording at 1080.

Then as you do, will start it recording jumping on the bike then leave it. Until I get off. No more fumbling with little buttons wearing big gloves, while also juggling the throttle! :eek: :rolleyes:

Last edited:

MIcruiser

SW Michigan motovlogger
Sep 25, 2015
SW Michigan
I ride a
2008 Yamaha V-Star 1300
https://www.youtube.com/c/MIcruiserGUY

I was out riding with a group of vloggers this past weekend, had the camera running the entire time I was on the bike. I have 9 hours of footage to scrub through and will probably only make a 5-6 minute video when its all said and done.

DanielJ

Wannabie Member
Sep 5, 2016
I ride a
Ninja ZX6R.
I was out riding with a group of vloggers this past weekend, had the camera running the entire time I was on the bike. I have 9 hours of footage to scrub through and will probably only make a 5-6 minute video when its all said and done.

Sounded alot of fun! Plus as you say, AMPLE footage to scan through.
Suppose its better to be spoilt for choice when it comes to footage, rather than not having enough, to put a video together. :)

Reactions: tom650

jasmoto

Wannabie Member
Sep 6, 2016
Pennsylvania, USA
I ride a
Aprilia RSV, Husqvarna TE450
As I am a complete noob, I'll offer what I've learned from the past few months.

Extra batteries.
The batteries in these action cams don't last long. I bought a 2 pack with a usb charging dock. I also have an Anker portable battery pack that can charge one set of batteries in my backpack while I'm using the other set.

Wipe the card after each trip.
First thing I do when I get back is move all the video files from the SD cards to my external hard drive.

Get a large external drive.
Video eats up space really fast!

Use the loop record feature if your camera has it.
This makes the files alot smaller and easier to import to editing programs. Only catch here is if you're out for several hours make sure you don't overwrite the start of your ride.

Reactions: ShiftHer

Jibbs

Wannabie Member
Sep 21, 2016
I ride a
'14 Ducati Hyperstrada
This is a fantastic thread, I just wanted to say thanks for all the great tips.

One thing I will say is that if you mount a camera on the bike, be aware of vibration. A cleverly placed piece of foam can do wonders for vibration

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
Actually make sure your camera(s) are recording and don't rely on the lights on the remote.

Now I have to revlog what I said and rewheely everywhere again.

Reactions: ShiftHer

DanielJ

Wannabie Member
Sep 5, 2016
I ride a
Ninja ZX6R.
Be creative, nothing wrong in copying certain patterns from other Motovlogger.

There's only so many ways to reinvent the wheel. I think people just need to get out there and record and do their own thing... if they have a naturally addictive personality, plus are interesting with it, they'll get noticed, people will subscribe and come back for more.

I see a number of (copy cat) channels now where they've used animated cartoon style faces imposed over the video (usually near the bottom / corner), to indicate the riders mindset, in sync with what's happening in the video. Some viewers might like this, as cute, while for the rest it becomes a (childish) irritation. :D :rolleyes:

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts