Wannabie Member
Nov 8, 2020
I ride a
Road Glide
Road King
BMW R 1200 GSA
BMW K75
OK lads,
I have been 1 week in trying to record a video that I am willing to post. I have had trouble. I have external Audio, and I used 1 helmet GP, 1 Fairing rear facing GP, and Use my phone for Off Bike walk around stuff. I start the audio when I leave my house, and its like 15 minutes in that I begin to video record. I have troubles trying to bring all of the media on an import in Final Cut Pro.

I am a total newbie at this stuff. I know I have some decent video, I just cannot get it timed to land in order on the FCP timelines. I realize I should keep it simple, but I had no way to have a the GOPro mic'd up and had the digital audio recorder available.

Any tips on pulling this together? I am frustrated to say the least. Do I bring all the footage in at the same time? OR do I need to edit the audio first and pull out all of the NO Talk sections in the audio first to get it to line up?

Also have messed with GP settings thinking I can post correct.....I am not at all tech or photography oriented...I jump in deep and have overwhelmed myself. What are the best GoPro color and capture settings to use? Full Auto, I just need settings for my training wheels days...maybe after I have many videos up I can start to focus in on color correction and the like. Right now I just need guidance on how to produce my first video.

Thank you in advance.

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
If you are trying to sync all of your camera and audio footage together, you'll have to find a synch point that they all share and use that to lock all of your tracks that way. I use a hand clap, or beep my horn to make a synch point. You can also make a tail slate where you do the same thing at the end of our motovlog session before turning off your cameras.

I would suggest doing all color and audio corrections for each track before doing any cutting. Once you begin to cut up and place your shots in different sections of your edits you may have to go and color and audio correct each clip, which could be a lot. More, what you do in one clip may not work in another - both in terms of color correction and sound.

In other words apply color and audio correction to the entire footage from each camera before you make cuts. Later, when your motovlog is fully edited, you can go back in and make more corrections to different shots/clips, but with luck it will be tweaks, especially if you are trying to match the look and exposer from other cameras.

Hope this helps and makes sense.

- Wolf

Reactions: Sai390

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Do like what I do.. I just search FCPX tutorial vids on YT. As Wolf said, you need to align your sources, you can opt to separate audio track from the video if you don't need their audio (just video), you can then either disable or delete that unwanted audio track, otherwise you can use the slice tool to slice all the tracks are the same point so that you can flip to a different PoV or switch audio source if you have them separated.

I totally understand if you have no clue as to what I'm talking about, so YT tutorials is the best way to go.

Reactions: Drakhen99

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
The easiest way is to start and stop all devices at the same time, then do a clap as already suggested soon after they are all running and then just align the audio spike when editing. Unfortunately, if you like to start and stop your cameras a lot, you will need to start and stop the audio recorder then too, or do a sync clap each time you start the cameras going. If you keep the cameras rolling, then just start the audio recorder at the same time, no point starting it 15min prior.
As for GoPro settings, keep it simple, put it all in auto, but maybe drop the sharpness down to medium from high.

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I do the hand clap sync thing too, works fantastic.

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I'll chime in too...

I leave all my GoPro settings alone. Stock all the way. The footage generally looks very good, minus some low-light situations, where I will put it in Low Light mode and let the camera handle it.

I've only had to do color grading in 1 video, and that was to make some nighttime footage decent enough to post.

As for syncing up audio, yes, use the clapping method - I saw recently where multiple (3) claps is better because it shows up on the waveform in a NLE program, making it easier to line up the audio from the GP and the external recorder.

I currently don't have to do any syncing because I use a Media Mod to allow for an external mic on my GP, but I am getting a second camera, so even with the GP Smart Remote, I'll probably have to clean it up a bit.... and this will make things interesting. I may have to change my workflow. (I currently record snippets, not whole rides, so I end up with 5-50 clips to pull into the editor instead of one big long video)

As for the editor, I am not familiar with FC, I use Resolve, so this may not work, but definitely pull in all the footage at once. As you scrub through it, you should be able to cut and delete the leading footage, and it OUGHT to ripple the footage. If this doesn't work for you, there should be a timeline zoom feature where you can see more or less video on-screen in the timeline.

SighBored is correct - before anything else with a software package like video editors, go to YT and search for what you're trying to do - I can almost guarantee you that someone has filmed a how-to on exactly what you want to do. I say *almost* because I've found some things that aren't in tutorials, and I spent over 12 hours figuring it out and refining the process.

All this to say that 3 months ago I was in *exactly* your situation - jumped in deep, overwhelmed, and you'll get through it! Just persevere!!!!!!!

Good luck!

-John

Dewey316

Dewey|Rides
Oct 1, 2020
I ride a
BWM F800gs / DR650 / Honda CM450E
What editing program are you using? In Resolve, there is a multi-cam editing mode (I bet other editing programs do as well). It is super easy, I do a clap then sync 4 camera's, and drop it in. Then you just edit like it was a single camera and trim what you want to trim, then you can just click to which camera view you want. It puts everything in sync, and saves you from trying to line up clips from different cameras.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
What editing program are you using? In Resolve, there is a multi-cam editing mode (I bet other editing programs do as well). It is super easy, I do a clap then sync 4 camera's, and drop it in. Then you just edit like it was a single camera and trim what you want to trim, then you can just click to which camera view you want. It puts everything in sync, and saves you from trying to line up clips from different cameras.

I am using Resolve 16... are you on 16 or 17??? Also, paid or free version?

I must investigate this further. I did a quick test yesterday of 2 cameras, and was able to sync them up manually, but that sounds way easier!

-John

Dewey316

Dewey|Rides
Oct 1, 2020
I ride a
I am using Resolve 16... are you on 16 or 17??? Also, paid or free version?

I must investigate this further. I did a quick test yesterday of 2 cameras, and was able to sync them up manually, but that sounds way easier!

-John

I'm using the free version of 16. I have to set my initial sync point manually most of the time, but after that it is all easy.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I'm using the free version of 16. I have to set my initial sync point manually most of the time, but after that it is all easy.

So you're recording all your cameras for your entire ride? Then you sync up once and it stays synced?

I dragged both videos on top of each other, lined up the waveforms, and then clipped excess on either end and dropped the 2nd camera's audio track.

What do you have to do to go into multicam mode?

-John

Dewey316

Dewey|Rides
Oct 1, 2020
I ride a
So you're recording all your cameras for your entire ride? Then you sync up once and it stays synced?

I dragged both videos on top of each other, lined up the waveforms, and then clipped excess on either end and dropped the 2nd camera's audio track.

What do you have to do to go into multicam mode?

-John

I record all the cameras for the section I want to record. Use the multicam sync function in resolve to create a multicam clip, then edit. When I am done, then I go back through and pick where I want to switch views. I am going to be out riding on Saturday (if the weather holds), when I get back, I'm happy to record a quick how-to-video on setting up multicam clips.

Dragging and matching them makes it a ton of work. It is hard to explain by typing this out, it will be much easier for me to just record a short video on how to set up and edit a multicam. If I end up with time tomorrow night, I'll do it then, if not I'll do it Saturday after I get back from riding.

Hippo--what are the rules for embedding a how-to video in a thread like this?

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I record all the cameras for the section I want to record. Use the multicam sync function in resolve to create a multicam clip, then edit. When I am done, then I go back through and pick where I want to switch views. I am going to be out riding on Saturday (if the weather holds), when I get back, I'm happy to record a quick how-to-video on setting up multicam clips.

Dragging and matching them makes it a ton of work. It is hard to explain by typing this out, it will be much easier for me to just record a short video on how to set up and edit a multicam. If I end up with time tomorrow night, I'll do it then, if not I'll do it Saturday after I get back from riding.

Thanks, that would be awesome! I may tinker with it tonight to try some things out (I enjoy figuring things out for myself sometimes), but look forward to your how-to!

-John

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660

If it is purely a factual how to video and is concise start a new thread with it in the members vlogs section with a decent wordy explanation in the thread to what it is you are doing, on what software and any plug-ins etc required, then drop me a message and I'll move it into a better section. Please don't do it as a vlog though, do it purely as a "how to do this" type instructional video.

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Other than all the tips already given, i also make the B-roll footage smaller, so i can see all camera's used playback in sync.
This makes knowing where to cut and what to keep easier.
After the first and second round of cutting and removing footage i then do a run where i just pick out which camera angle i want to use at which time, and removing the rest. Often separating the audio from the main clip, to keep all audio on the same level.

Working with multiple camera's means more work, can't avoid that, but you can make it as easy for yourself as possible ;)

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a

Hey, no need for you to create a how-to... this guy does a great job explaining it and showing it:

I have subscribed to his channel for months - he's full of TONS of DaVinci Resolve tips & tricks and how-tos.

I watched the above video this morning and followed along at home, and you're right - it's way easy.

Cheers!

-John

Dewey316

Dewey|Rides
Oct 1, 2020
I ride a
Hey, no need for you to create a how-to... this guy does a great job explaining it and showing it:

Glad you found something, I actually just posted the how-to I made at lunch, but, maybe for people seeing a couple ways to do this will help it click for them and find a workflow that works for them.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Thanks, I'm watching it now :D

You're right - multiple perspectives on the topic will be helpful! (see what I did there?)

-John

• Haha
Reactions: Dewey316

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Quick update: make sure you have a SSD in your computer to do multicam clips with Resolve! Otherwise, the playback during editing gets really choppy. Luckily, my new laptop has a 1TB SSD in it, which I drop my new footage into for editing, and then it gets moved to a platter disk after render (in case I want to come back and make small changes), and then to another disk for archiving.

I've gotten pretty good at multicam editing in Resolve in the last few weeks, and it's super easy once you get the initial sync done - I actually turned both GoPros off after getting on the highway the last time I rode (2+ weeks ago, sad face) and then turned them both back on at highway speed, started recording, and was able to line it up in Resolve, yay! That was fun, getting them synced with vastly different audio and video - but when I switch camera angles, the audio lines up from camera 1 (helmet view) with the video from camera 2 (facing me).

-John

Reactions: Dewey316

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts