Motovlogging : As channel to promote safe riding?

D-Cycle

Wannabie Member
Mar 9, 2019
I ride a
2018 Harley-Davidson Sport Glide
MC Rider and DanDanTheFireman both have great safety tips for motorcycling. I've shared a few tips on my channel that have kept me safe, but I am not as seasoned in riding, so I don't know if I qualify to give much advice.

Reactions: RiderSkill

Emma13

Gesto and Lane - The Motorcycle Diaries
Mar 20, 2019
I ride a
Honda CBR 600RR and MTo9
Hey guys. Just a thought.

I am really new to this motovlogging scene but i watch other motovlogging channels just to get an idea of how to do this gig.

Some channels have a vast number of subscribers in my opinion which may have an impact in educating other bikers on safe riding.

Please do not get me wrong, as I am not telling anyone on how to run their channels or on how to ride, but I am just stating how crucial our role as motovloggers in promoting safe riding in terms of riding our bike and wearing appropriate apparels. At least a proper helmet, gloves, riding jacket or even proper riding boots, perhaps?

What do you guys think?
I agree with @HippoDrone , I watch YouTube for fun and information so if you can get the message across without coming across as "I'm telling you what to do" it could be a good thing. Maybe informational with a 'look what happens if you don't wear it' angle?

Meifesto

Tarmac crosser
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Downside is, the big "Oh No" road rage type vids will get more views.

So certain creators will look for those scenario's and deliberately create situations which will give them content with a high watch rate.
That is why i unsubscribed to certain channels.
And something allot of (European) channels make fun off xD

HippoDrone

Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
I recently unsubbed a channel that posted a road rage vid... he actually thought he was in the right even after getting tugged by the police.

Last edited:

Chris_SVS

Now Chris_MT09
Aug 12, 2017
Northern Ireland
I ride a
2015 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
I watched quite a popular insta-biker the other day, with her knee nearly down on double solid whites, upper body and head in the other lane - there was oncoming traffic....

The comments were basically "badass" "go you!" Likely from the kind of people who wouldn't go out of their way to search for anything regarding safe riding.

That's not to be a downer on the idea of promoting safe riding (or promoting further education) but realistically it's a huge mountain to climb.

Chris_SVS

Now Chris_MT09
Aug 12, 2017
Northern Ireland
I ride a
2015 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
I watched quite a popular insta-biker the other day, with her knee nearly down on double solid whites, upper body and head in the other lane - there was oncoming traffic....

The comments were basically "badass" "go you!" Likely from the kind of people who wouldn't go out of their way to search for anything regarding safe riding.

That's not to be a downer on the idea of promoting safe riding (or promoting further education) but realistically it's a huge mountain to climb.
Edit window :mad:

I learned an awful lot from channels like RoadcraftNottingham,AdvancedBiker,seaflyfisher simply by giving the advice a go myself on the road - not long after I signed up for Bikesafe where my PSNI observer basically said "there's really no feedback to give, your riding's A*, TBH you'd not have an issue with the entry level police course"

I recently passed my IAM mock test with the highest grading, F1rst (not telling when the real thing is!)

RiderSkill

Wannabie Member
Feb 24, 2019
South Australia
I ride a
BMW F800GS
Downside is, the big "Oh No" road rage type vids will get more views.

So certain creators will look for those scenario's and deliberately create situations which will give them content with a high watch rate.
That is why i unsubscribed to certain channels.
And something allot of (European) channels make fun off xD
We have a guy (who I know personally) Vegan, runner, cyclist with literally millions of views across his channel. I definitely say he baits everything and everybody for the controversy factor to get views. He makes $200K a year easy (allegedly?) just off his YT. Comes across as a bit of a knob jockey on the tube ... but in real life really nice chap. The online persona creates the following

• Wow
Reactions: WheelyPerd

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Just like everyone else, I dont like safety being forced down my throat. I ride daily and I could drone on about safety, but I dont. Much like I would never give someone a lecture about riding in flip flops, I'd simply say nice flops (if they were nice) even though it drives me mad when I see these 1000cc flip floppers.

Personally I'd prefer if safety orientated videos were named correctly and not just randomly in the middle OR make your whole channel more safety focused. I think the biggest issue is being consistent IE: Dont complain about other riders wearing no gear but then you wear no gear.

Chris_SVS

Now Chris_MT09
Aug 12, 2017
Northern Ireland
I ride a
2015 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
We have a guy (who I know personally) Vegan, runner, cyclist with literally millions of views across his channel. I definitely say he baits everything and everybody for the controversy factor to get views. He makes $200K a year easy (allegedly?) just off his YT. Comes across as a bit of a knob jockey on the tube ... but in real life really nice chap. The online persona creates the following
Loves eating Durian fruit ;)

• Haha

RiderSkill

Wannabie Member
Feb 24, 2019
South Australia
I ride a
BMW F800GS
Loves eating Durian fruit ;)
He does ...... I have a big issue with his high carb diet and I look at science rather than what the food companies or DR leads us to believe we should eat. I’ve not brought up the subject with him but I also don’t believe half of what he claims he lives off, he earns his dosh from winding people up, but the majority of his comments on YT are criticism of his methods. I talk running and cycling with him as that’s the community I know him from. A proper face to face debate he would lose but he hides behind a camera and doesn’t respond much. Like I said though, I don’t dislike him weirdly. Nice enough geezer.

Reactions: Chris_SVS

Chris_SVS

Now Chris_MT09
Aug 12, 2017
Northern Ireland
I ride a
2015 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
He does ...... I have a big issue with his high carb diet and I look at science rather than what the food companies or DR leads us to believe we should eat. I’ve not brought up the subject with him but I also don’t believe half of what he claims he lives off, he earns his dosh from winding people up, but the majority of his comments on YT are criticism of his methods. I talk running and cycling with him as that’s the community I know him from. A proper face to face debate he would lose but he hides behind a camera and doesn’t respond much. Like I said though, I don’t dislike him weirdly. Nice enough geezer.
He got me when after years of claims of not having a driving licence, he starts collecting boxes of bananas in a Lambo :D:D

• Haha

RiderSkill

Wannabie Member
Feb 24, 2019
South Australia
I ride a
BMW F800GS
Just like everyone else, I dont like safety being forced down my throat. I ride daily and I could drone on about safety, but I dont. Much like I would never give someone a lecture about riding in flip flops, I'd simply say nice flops (if they were nice) even though it drives me mad when I see these 1000cc flip floppers.

Personally I'd prefer if safety orientated videos were named correctly and not just randomly in the middle OR make your whole channel more safety focused. I think the biggest issue is being consistent IE: Dont complain about other riders wearing no gear but then you wear no gear.
My channel is based around bike safety hints and tips

Top Posters Past 30 days

Winners Video

Want your video here?
Supported by Suffolk SEO who helps maintain this site.

Latest posts