Motovlogging : As channel to promote safe riding?

Emma13

Gesto and Lane - The Motorcycle Diaries
Mar 20, 2019
I ride a
Honda CBR 600RR and MTo9
Hey guys. Just a thought.

I am really new to this motovlogging scene but i watch other motovlogging channels just to get an idea of how to do this gig.

Some channels have a vast number of subscribers in my opinion which may have an impact in educating other bikers on safe riding.

Please do not get me wrong, as I am not telling anyone on how to run their channels or on how to ride, but I am just stating how crucial our role as motovloggers in promoting safe riding in terms of riding our bike and wearing appropriate apparels. At least a proper helmet, gloves, riding jacket or even proper riding boots, perhaps?

What do you guys think?
I agree with @HippoDrone , I watch YouTube for fun and information so if you can get the message across without coming across as "I'm telling you what to do" it could be a good thing. Maybe informational with a 'look what happens if you don't wear it' angle?

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Downside is, the big "Oh No" road rage type vids will get more views.

So certain creators will look for those scenario's and deliberately create situations which will give them content with a high watch rate.
That is why i unsubscribed to certain channels.
And something allot of (European) channels make fun off xD

Reactions: Riderguide

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I recently unsubbed a channel that posted a road rage vid... he actually thought he was in the right even after getting tugged by the police.

Last edited:

Chris_SVS

Now Chris_MT09
Aug 12, 2017
Northern Ireland
I ride a
2015 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
I watched quite a popular insta-biker the other day, with her knee nearly down on double solid whites, upper body and head in the other lane - there was oncoming traffic....

The comments were basically "badass" "go you!" Likely from the kind of people who wouldn't go out of their way to search for anything regarding safe riding.

That's not to be a downer on the idea of promoting safe riding (or promoting further education) but realistically it's a huge mountain to climb.

Chris_SVS

Now Chris_MT09
Aug 12, 2017
Northern Ireland
I ride a
2015 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
I watched quite a popular insta-biker the other day, with her knee nearly down on double solid whites, upper body and head in the other lane - there was oncoming traffic....

The comments were basically "badass" "go you!" Likely from the kind of people who wouldn't go out of their way to search for anything regarding safe riding.

That's not to be a downer on the idea of promoting safe riding (or promoting further education) but realistically it's a huge mountain to climb.
Edit window :mad:

I learned an awful lot from channels like RoadcraftNottingham,AdvancedBiker,seaflyfisher simply by giving the advice a go myself on the road - not long after I signed up for Bikesafe where my PSNI observer basically said "there's really no feedback to give, your riding's A*, TBH you'd not have an issue with the entry level police course"

I recently passed my IAM mock test with the highest grading, F1rst (not telling when the real thing is!)

Riderguide

Neil - The Rider Guider
Feb 24, 2019
South Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha Tenere 700 T7
Downside is, the big "Oh No" road rage type vids will get more views.

So certain creators will look for those scenario's and deliberately create situations which will give them content with a high watch rate.
That is why i unsubscribed to certain channels.
And something allot of (European) channels make fun off xD

We have a guy (who I know personally) Vegan, runner, cyclist with literally millions of views across his channel. I definitely say he baits everything and everybody for the controversy factor to get views. He makes $200K a year easy (allegedly?) just off his YT. Comes across as a bit of a knob jockey on the tube ... but in real life really nice chap. The online persona creates the following

• Wow
Reactions: WheelyPerd

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Just like everyone else, I dont like safety being forced down my throat. I ride daily and I could drone on about safety, but I dont. Much like I would never give someone a lecture about riding in flip flops, I'd simply say nice flops (if they were nice) even though it drives me mad when I see these 1000cc flip floppers.

Personally I'd prefer if safety orientated videos were named correctly and not just randomly in the middle OR make your whole channel more safety focused. I think the biggest issue is being consistent IE: Dont complain about other riders wearing no gear but then you wear no gear.

Chris_SVS

Now Chris_MT09
Aug 12, 2017
Northern Ireland
I ride a
2015 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
We have a guy (who I know personally) Vegan, runner, cyclist with literally millions of views across his channel. I definitely say he baits everything and everybody for the controversy factor to get views. He makes $200K a year easy (allegedly?) just off his YT. Comes across as a bit of a knob jockey on the tube ... but in real life really nice chap. The online persona creates the following
Loves eating Durian fruit ;)

• Haha

Riderguide

Neil - The Rider Guider
Feb 24, 2019
South Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha Tenere 700 T7
Loves eating Durian fruit ;)
He does ...... I have a big issue with his high carb diet and I look at science rather than what the food companies or DR leads us to believe we should eat. I’ve not brought up the subject with him but I also don’t believe half of what he claims he lives off, he earns his dosh from winding people up, but the majority of his comments on YT are criticism of his methods. I talk running and cycling with him as that’s the community I know him from. A proper face to face debate he would lose but he hides behind a camera and doesn’t respond much. Like I said though, I don’t dislike him weirdly. Nice enough geezer.

Reactions: Chris_SVS

Chris_SVS

Now Chris_MT09
Aug 12, 2017
Northern Ireland
I ride a
2015 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
He does ...... I have a big issue with his high carb diet and I look at science rather than what the food companies or DR leads us to believe we should eat. I’ve not brought up the subject with him but I also don’t believe half of what he claims he lives off, he earns his dosh from winding people up, but the majority of his comments on YT are criticism of his methods. I talk running and cycling with him as that’s the community I know him from. A proper face to face debate he would lose but he hides behind a camera and doesn’t respond much. Like I said though, I don’t dislike him weirdly. Nice enough geezer.
He got me when after years of claims of not having a driving licence, he starts collecting boxes of bananas in a Lambo :D:D

• Haha

Riderguide

Neil - The Rider Guider
Feb 24, 2019
South Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha Tenere 700 T7
Just like everyone else, I dont like safety being forced down my throat. I ride daily and I could drone on about safety, but I dont. Much like I would never give someone a lecture about riding in flip flops, I'd simply say nice flops (if they were nice) even though it drives me mad when I see these 1000cc flip floppers.

Personally I'd prefer if safety orientated videos were named correctly and not just randomly in the middle OR make your whole channel more safety focused. I think the biggest issue is being consistent IE: Dont complain about other riders wearing no gear but then you wear no gear.
My channel is based around bike safety hints and tips

Riderguide

Neil - The Rider Guider
Feb 24, 2019
South Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha Tenere 700 T7
I think having a channel on good riding techniques and tactics doesn't have to be directly about safety. But one can connect to the other. Good videos on counter-steering, riding in the rain, at night, on groove pavement, SMIDSY maneuvers and chasing the vanishing point can make bad riders better (and hopefully) safer. I think there are only so many of theses videos one can make, so make a channel both broad and deep with a variety of subjects.

- Wuf
Hoping that your points are seen in my channel, that's pretty much where I'm aiming mate. My riding level is up there (I believe) and of course I'm still always learning. However I'm still finding my feet on how to deliver my information on film. I'm evolving and improving at the same speed as my channel haha. I also try to throw in some stories and a couple of reviews of stuff I like.

Reactions: scooterwuf

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I think it's a great idea. I'm always interested in safety tips and demos. I'm approaching 10 years of riding, but I still feel like I'm in the novice zone.

Ride safe,

- Wolf

• Love

Riderguide

Neil - The Rider Guider
Feb 24, 2019
South Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha Tenere 700 T7
I think it's a great idea. I'm always interested in safety tips and demos. I'm approaching 10 years of riding, but I still feel like I'm in the novice zone.

Ride safe,

- Wolf
Always room to learn something, it keeps us alive. I have good and bad days and feel like a novice after 35 years sometimes. There's a human factor after all. I'm trying to get my head around some safe braking stuff and 'emergency' stop tips, a bit of research being done, but I'm likely to court a bit of controversy as I actually believe that the more experience you have the less likely you'll need to emergency stop, I can't recall my last, is it down to luck or my experience and defensive riding? I'd say I control my environment as far as other road users are concerned - animals such as Deer, Kangaroo (over here), dogs can throw in curve balls but overall we control our own destiny. Will see how I go getting this over on the channel ;)
Neil

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I’ve found that most emergencies happen within block to a few miles of where I live. The other day I was pulling down a small lane that runs behind my house to a main road where the lane connects to it as a T-section. I was turning right, and checked my left. Being in the States I would turn right into the right lane, so opposing traffic in the left would not be a factor. Just as I was about to pull out my wife (and passenger) shouted. Three kids were bike riding down the sidewalk on my right and hardly stop as I grabbed my brakes.

Mentally I scolded myself for not doing a better job checking for pedestrians as I normally do when I drive in a city. Being only a block from my own house I was completely complacent to any danger. It was a good reminder to get my A game on the moment I get on my bike.

- Wolf

Riderguide

Neil - The Rider Guider
Feb 24, 2019
South Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha Tenere 700 T7
I’ve found that most emergencies happen within block to a few miles of where I live. The other day I was pulling down a small lane that runs behind my house to a main road where the lane connects to it as a T-section. I was turning right, and checked my left. Being in the States I would turn right into the right lane, so opposing traffic in the left would not be a factor. Just as I was about to pull out my wife (and passenger) shouted. Three kids were bike riding down the sidewalk on my right and hardly stop as I grabbed my brakes.

Mentally I scolded myself for not doing a better job checking for pedestrians as I normally do when I drive in a city. Being only a block from my own house I was completely complacent to any danger. It was a good reminder to get my A game on the moment I get on my bike.

- Wolf

Yeh that’s actually a very valuable point mate. When I get my content together you’ll be getting a mention for good advice :)

Reactions: scooterwuf

MotoGinji

Wannabie Member
Jun 17, 2019
The Netherlands
www.instagram.com
I ride a
2008 Kawasaki ZX6R Special Edition
Like mentioned before, these topics are interesting and MotoJitsu does a good job. Altough I don't agree with his tankslapper video and asked him further questions about it, but his response kinda a short cold "No" "you are wrong" kind of answer instead of a "no you are wrong and here is why" poeple come to learn on those kind of videos, and that continues in the comment section. Make sure you take your time in actually answering in the comment section aswel, since these kinds of videos can bring op more questions.

Riderguide

Neil - The Rider Guider
Feb 24, 2019
South Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha Tenere 700 T7
Like mentioned before, these topics are interesting and MotoJitsu does a good job. Altough I don't agree with his tankslapper video and asked him further questions about it, but his response kinda a short cold "No" "you are wrong" kind of answer instead of a "no you are wrong and here is why" poeple come to learn on those kind of videos, and that continues in the comment section. Make sure you take your time in actually answering in the comment section aswel, since these kinds of videos can bring op more questions.
I'd love to get in to answering questions on my channel, not quite got the traffic but it will come I'm sure. I've a long way to go before I get the following of the likes of Motojitsu and MCRider. I saw a Motojitsu clip the other day, he comes across really well, good delivery, you can tell he's been on the tube some time! I can't get my head around MCR, his channel is well edited which I think gives him the appeal but the info given sometimes seems like he's trying too hard to find content - such as new riders riding with their side-stand down. It went on for ages and I reckon I'd have to find 500 bikes before I found one either with a faulty switch or a bike that old it didn't have a switch and was capable of actually being ridden like that. New riders don't purchase classic bikes generally. Can't think of a bike that doesn't cut out that's less than 30 years old when you stick it in gear - or maybe I'm wrong :oops: .... Fortunately I've got a few unique ideas to stand out from the crowd, I'm not close to where I want to be yet and am becoming patient haha. My delivery is way off so far but will improve. I might have a look at that tank slapper video :)

Reactions: MotoGinji

MotoGinji

Wannabie Member
Jun 17, 2019
The Netherlands
www.instagram.com
I ride a
2008 Kawasaki ZX6R Special Edition
I'd love to get in to answering questions on my channel, not quite got the traffic but it will come I'm sure. I've a long way to go before I get the following of the likes of Motojitsu and MCRider. I saw a Motojitsu clip the other day, he comes across really well, good delivery, you can tell he's been on the tube some time! I can't get my head around MCR, his channel is well edited which I think gives him the appeal but the info given sometimes seems like he's trying too hard to find content - such as new riders riding with their side-stand down. It went on for ages and I reckon I'd have to find 500 bikes before I found one either with a faulty switch or a bike that old it didn't have a switch and was capable of actually being ridden like that. New riders don't purchase classic bikes generally. Can't think of a bike that doesn't cut out that's less than 30 years old when you stick it in gear - or maybe I'm wrong :oops: .... Fortunately I've got a few unique ideas to stand out from the crowd, I'm not close to where I want to be yet and am becoming patient haha. My delivery is way off so far but will improve. I might have a look at that tank slapper video :)
If you already have a plan go stick out from the rest then just be patient bro. Most of the big youtubers we are watching have been on the platform for 5 to 10 years almost. And starting up is hard. But once you are going it will be a snowball effect (my snowball isn't moving yet, but i have a feeling it will roll down soon!)

The key is you just gotta enjoy your stuff. If you do it to grow or get money you will get numbers crazy and get depressed really fast.

I started because i liked recording my rides with my friends, and because we like meme's i just eddited funny videos of us to watch and laugh on day we couldnt ride. And now i have 183 subs and a couple of core people that keep interacting which makes it even more fun to do.

Just ask the question, if no one would watch your videos, would you still do them. For me it's a def yes!

• Love

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO