Microphone Wind noise problem

goncalecas

Wannabie Member
Aug 4, 2020
I ride a
Honda CB500X
Hello guys, I'm new to these community and I need your help/opinions.

I want to start filming my rides properly with good image and audio quality of my bike's exhaust sound.

I bought a boya by-mm1 microphone ( recording attached to iPhone) and I tried it everywhere possible to try to record the sound, but I can't seem to get rid of the wind noise. I tried in the back of the bike, inside the seat, on my backpack/ jacket, with the dead cat on, everything... The recording is so bad I can't even ear the bike when I'm riding, it cancels the noise and reproduces a high pitch sound from the wind.

Could you share how you do it yourselves to get a cleaner sound of the exhaust? Do you think it is a bad microphone brand to record these type of things, do post-editing of the audio files help?

From what I read from different moto vloggers, zoom mics seem a better and usual choice. Are lav mics any good too?

I tried a lot of things but none of them seems to work, I would appreciate some help!

Thank you all in advance and safe rides! :)

Pooley

Wannabe tractor enthusiast
Nov 19, 2019
Derbyshire
I ride a
2003 Honda Deauville 650
In addition to motosera, wrapping a dictaphone/smartphone in foam or something similar and putting under the seat will capture exhaust audio brilliantly.

As for you mic issue, I would try a different mic or try connecting to a proper recording device and playing around with gain ect.

It's all trial and error with this motovlogging lark :)

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Is the mic 100% compatible with your phone? Not all mic jaks are the same!
If just after engine noise, maybe get an audio recorder as @Pooley has suggested, or even an old actioncam, and put it under the passenger seat on top of a sponge and wedged under another to keep the wind away from the mics and stop the device rattling or touching the solid parts of the bike causing vibration

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
The Zoom is a good audio recorder, as is the Tascam DR-05. All my bike audio is normally recorded in helmet so I can talk too, but with a fruity exhaust it still comes through and cuts a lot of wind noise too. If you just want bike audio I suggest going the route @motosera and @Pooley have mentioned

goncalecas

Wannabie Member
Aug 4, 2020
I ride a
Honda CB500X
If I want exhaust noise I hang a GoPro looking backwards from the back of the bike - doesn't pick up any wind noise, just exhaust.
Thank you very much motosera, will definitely try that! :)

goncalecas

Wannabie Member
Aug 4, 2020
I ride a
Honda CB500X
In addition to motosera, wrapping a dictaphone/smartphone in foam or something similar and putting under the seat will capture exhaust audio brilliantly.

As for you mic issue, I would try a different mic or try connecting to a proper recording device and playing around with gain ect.

It's all trial and error with this motovlogging lark :)
Thank you!!

Reactions: Pooley

goncalecas

Wannabie Member
Aug 4, 2020
I ride a
Honda CB500X
Is the mic 100% compatible with your phone? Not all mic jaks are the same!
If just after engine noise, maybe get an audio recorder as @Pooley has suggested, or even an old actioncam, and put it under the passenger seat on top of a sponge and wedged under another to keep the wind away from the mics and stop the device rattling or touching the solid parts of the bike causing vibration
It is compatible, I think it's just not a good mic ( shotgun mic) to record these type of things, I will try all of your suggestions! Thank you all for you help!

Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Shotgun mics are very directional, grab a cheap lav mic, they are omni directional, so should work better

MMVNJ

Wannabie Member
Jul 28, 2020
I ride a
Indian Scout
The Zoom is a good audio recorder, as is the Tascam DR-05. All my bike audio is normally recorded in helmet so I can talk too, but with a fruity exhaust it still comes through and cuts a lot of wind noise too. If you just want bike audio I suggest going the route @motosera and @Pooley have mentioned

I was surprised when I first tested my setup how I could actually hear the bike pretty well. I still have factory exhaust, so it's not really loud to begin with, but it still sounds pretty good.

LandyVlad

King of Mycenae
Jun 8, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
gsx1400owners.org
I ride a
Suzuki GSX1400
I have a zoom audio recorder but obviously the built in mics are of no use for motovlogging - I presume some sort of mic that can be used in the helmet can be plugged in? ANy recommendation?

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
grab a cheap lav mic off Amazon or ebay, they normally have at least 1m of wire so can run it to the helmet from your pocket

Titter

Wannabie Member
Aug 14, 2020
I ride a
Multistrada 1200 and Street Triple 675R
I had exactly this problem until I simply ran the microphone down the inside of my jacket and clipped it to the back of my trousers. Picks up the exhaust sounds fine without any wind noise. The problem I now have is how to do this with the camera mounted on the bike not on my helmet!

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
I have tried lots of lav mics and many were just too sensitive and my exhaust to loud so nothing was ever really usable or coherent when it came to narrating until I landed the purple panda mic. That mic along with its dead cat cover has worked pretty well for me in my last couple videos. I pair this with a used GoPro Hero4 I bought on ebay and it's been working out quite nice. I think one of the main things to consider is the sensitivity of the lav mic. You actually want a less sensitive mic so it picks up less wind noise. How this sensitivity is rated/measured I am still trying to figure out. I just know the Purple Panda hits that sweet spot of being sensitive enough to pick up my voice but not so sensitive that wind/engine/exhaust noise destroys everything.

motosera

Weirdo, mosher, freak
Jun 4, 2020
Cambridgeshire UK
www.motosera.com
I ride a
Honda CBR1100XX and Buel XB9R Custom
I used the purple panda for a while, but still found it too noisy, I've recently switched to using an Interphone Prosound mic and it's by far the best I have used so far. That said I seem to have partially killed a mic adapter riding in the rain this last weekend. So I'm having other issues now!

However YMMV, there are so many variables - I get a lot of turbulence off the fairing of my bike at certain speeds which causes it's own issues.

Reactions: YBGuy

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
I used the purple panda for a while, but still found it too noisy, I've recently switched to using an Interphone Prosound mic and it's by far the best I have used so far. That said I seem to have partially killed a mic adapter riding in the rain this last weekend. So I'm having other issues now!

However YMMV, there are so many variables - I get a lot of turbulence off the fairing of my bike at certain speeds which causes it's own issues.
Interesting! I'll have to check that one out. I wonder if its available in the USA the Interphone Prosound mic.

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a

Hi Motosera,

Is this it?

YBG

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts