media mod vs mic adapter (hero 9 black)

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Even though I'm just a tiny hobby channel, I had the same problem at first. It takes time just getting used to talking to/through a camera. As for polish, I'm intentionally trying to keep my videos pretty simple to focus at getting better at my general presentation style and my editing workflow. Only when I feel that I have those down will I try to work on making the videos fancier. For your early videos, you don't need anything more than a camera and mic, and something to say. The rest can come later!
This is great advice - wish I'd heard it sooner! I spent so many hours figuring out how to add fancy bits & baubles to my earlier videos, and transitions all over the place... only to realize that none of THAT makes a difference!

Concentrating on your workflow - from recording to editing to publishing - is a great thing to start on!

The other thing I'd recommend is to tinker with your recording gear nearly constantly, so you get a deep understanding of how it works, what's going to record, and how to change settings quickly and on the fly when needed.

-John

TallADVer

Compulsive Hobbyist
Apr 13, 2023
Maryland
I ride a
2017 Honda CRF1000L (Africa Twin DCT)
This is great advice - wish I'd heard it sooner! I spent so many hours figuring out how to add fancy bits & baubles to my earlier videos, and transitions all over the place... only to realize that none of THAT makes a difference!

Concentrating on your workflow - from recording to editing to publishing - is a great thing to start on!

The other thing I'd recommend is to tinker with your recording gear nearly constantly, so you get a deep understanding of how it works, what's going to record, and how to change settings quickly and on the fly when needed.

-John

Thanks, man - yeah, it's hard-earned advice after multiple hobbies where I've jumped in at the deep end with equipment and peripheral skill building before getting the hang of the basics.

And definitely agree with "get to know your gear". Part of that is "understand where things get messed up". Like I found out when the cheapo TRRS-to-TRS adapter for my Purple Panda mic kept flaking out, ruining audio. Better to have that happen around town than in a trip.

Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Thanks, man - yeah, it's hard-earned advice after multiple hobbies where I've jumped in at the deep end with equipment and peripheral skill building before getting the hang of the basics.

And definitely agree with "get to know your gear". Part of that is "understand where things get messed up". Like I found out when the cheapo TRRS-to-TRS adapter for my Purple Panda mic kept flaking out, ruining audio. Better to have that happen around town than in a trip.
And that's why we're here - to share and educate.

Your TRS -> TRRS adapter fouled up? Dang. I keep hearing that, and my Purple Panda helmet mic is going on 3 years old. I taped it on Day 1 and it's never fouled up [knock on wood].

-John

Dnljmrs

Dr Dan
Apr 13, 2020
South Wales
www.danielmorse.me.uk
I ride a
Suzuki GSX650f (K8)

Funny you say this..I didnt check my setup before I went on my Wales tour (which was superb) so I ended up with footage but no sound..
The setup I have is GoPro Hero 9 > Media Mod > TRS:TRRS adapter Purple panda. I dont know if I need to change any settings on the GoPro but it wouldn't record sound from the mic.. So I dont know if its the TRS:TRRS adapter, the mic or the GoPro settings..but I left the GoPro audio settings on default

TallADVer

Compulsive Hobbyist
Apr 13, 2023
Maryland
I ride a
Funny you say this..I didnt check my setup before I went on my Wales tour (which was superb) so I ended up with footage but no sound..
The setup I have is GoPro Hero 9 > Media Mod > TRS:TRRS adapter Purple panda. I dont know if I need to change any settings on the GoPro but it wouldn't record sound from the mic.. So I dont know if its the TRS:TRRS adapter, the mic or the GoPro settings..but I left the GoPro audio settings on default
Oh damn, I'm sorry to hear that! In my case, I was running the Purple Panda through the TRS adapter into my Zoom recorder, and was getting occasional periods where the audio would drop out or get really static-y. Then it just stopped recording altogether through the adapter. I ended up buying an inexpensive (but much more durable looking) adapter from Amazon, and so far haven't had any further issues -- though I've only done one video with it so far, so we'll see how it holds up...

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I've heard of that happening - could it be a loose connection? I used gaffer's tape on all my connections except for where the adapter is plugged into my Media Mod... and knock on wood, I've not had an issue outside of my Hero 10 screwing up.

-John

TallADVer

Compulsive Hobbyist
Apr 13, 2023
Maryland
I ride a
I've heard of that happening - could it be a loose connection? I used gaffer's tape on all my connections except for where the adapter is plugged into my Media Mod... and knock on wood, I've not had an issue outside of my Hero 10 screwing up.

-John
Just to clarify, in my case, my issue appeared to be due to the flimsy TRS connector that came with my Purple Panda mic set, and nothing to do with my actual recorder (Zoom in my case).

Dnljmrs' issue may have been the same, as he was using the same adapter into his Media Mod, but that's TBD at this point I think

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Just to clarify, in my case, my issue appeared to be due to the flimsy TRS connector that came with my Purple Panda mic set, and nothing to do with my actual recorder (Zoom in my case).

Dnljmrs' issue may have been the same, as he was using the same adapter into his Media Mod, but that's TBD at this point I think
OK, that's what I figured was going on. Still weird, as mine hasn't come loose or anything... but that may be due to the tape I put on there. I have recently cleaned up the wiring on my helmet so there are no exposed wires, and thus, nothing moving around when I'm out riding.

That may help too.

-John

Reactions: TallADVer

motonomad

Wannabie Member
May 20, 2023
Chiang Mai, Thailand
I ride a
Yamaha MT-03
Even though I'm just a tiny hobby channel, I had the same problem at first. It takes time just getting used to talking to/through a camera. As for polish, I'm intentionally trying to keep my videos pretty simple to focus at getting better at my general presentation style and my editing workflow. Only when I feel that I have those down will I try to work on making the videos fancier. For your early videos, you don't need anything more than a camera and mic, and something to say. The rest can come later!
Agreed! I kept thinking I wouldn't have anything to say and yet my first vlog was 26 minutes of me rambling. I probably could've/should've cut it short. Just kind of got on my bike with everything on and started talking about what I was thinking. I feel it worked out. There was a bit that I did indeed want to talk about, but most of it was just random thoughts that popped up while driving.

Being on a motorcycle already makes me super enthusiastic, but another tip I had heard a popular vlogger mention was to just yell before you make your video. Helps you get amped up and increase your tone/output (like you would do if on a sports team about to play a game, or perhaps if you were a viking headed into battle :D)

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Agreed! I kept thinking I wouldn't have anything to say and yet my first vlog was 26 minutes of me rambling. I probably could've/should've cut it short. Just kind of got on my bike with everything on and started talking about what I was thinking. I feel it worked out. There was a bit that I did indeed want to talk about, but most of it was just random thoughts that popped up while driving.

Being on a motorcycle already makes me super enthusiastic, but another tip I had heard a popular vlogger mention was to just yell before you make your video. Helps you get amped up and increase your tone/output (like you would do if on a sports team about to play a game, or perhaps if you were a viking headed into battle :D)
That last tip is GREAT! Of course, I'm wearing a half helmet in my vlogs... so the yelling part is built in.

I get amped up just by pressing record. I think it's a trained response... like with a new puppy.

Woof.

-John

rattlinjak

Wannabie Member
May 20, 2022
NSW Australia
I ride a
V Strom DL650A 2015
I personally hate the Media Mod, it is a nightmare to change batteries / memory cards when using it. I'd recommend using the microphone adaptor with the Ulanzi (or GoPro) door that gives access to the USB-C port
It is how I have run my helmet setup since starting my channel with a Hero 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 & now 10

View attachment 6694
Do you ever use a battery pack to charge whilst recording on that setup?

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Do you ever use a battery pack to charge whilst recording on that setup?
I used to run a powerbank to power it rather than charge it when I was using a Hero 5 Session but with the endurance batteries in the Hero 10, I don't really need to bother anymore as a single battery will normally last me a day trail riding with how I record, and on longer rides where I record for longer periods like road rides, I'll just swap the battery at our lunch stop.

MotoWolfUK

L Plate Member
Mar 4, 2023
Hampshire, UK
linktr.ee
I ride a
Wife
I used to run a powerbank to power it rather than charge it when I was using a Hero 5 Session but with the endurance batteries in the Hero 10, I don't really need to bother anymore as a single battery will normally last me a day trail riding with how I record, and on longer rides where I record for longer periods like road rides, I'll just swap the battery at our lunch stop.
Woah that’s a crazy good battery then - my battery tops out at 40mins I’d say so I take it out and use powerbank exclusively personally. Can’t wait to upgrade the camera and look into endurance batteries :D

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Woah that’s a crazy good battery then - my battery tops out at 40mins I’d say so I take it out and use powerbank exclusively personally. Can’t wait to upgrade the camera and look into endurance batteries :D
On my trail rides, I turn the camera fully off when on tarmac and only switch it back on when on the next trail. For road rides, I tend to leave it running mostly, but won't turn it on until I get to a good set of twisties or nice scenery to do my intro and start the vlog.

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
I used a Hero 7 Black in the Ulanzi case with the mic adapter. On our Scotland trip, it pissed down and the mic adapter was buggered, even though the inputs/outputs areas were sealed with bluetac around them.
That stinks! From what I read bluetac is an adhesive putty right? Do have the GoPro subscription and did they replace it for free?

I use this around my mic input and where the adapter goes into the camera. I just poke a little hole in the center and slide the earplug right on the cable.

SmartSelect_20231018-120147_Chrome.jpg

If I know there will be some heavy storms in advance I put the camera in a dive case that has a hole for the mic adapter and use the ear plug to seal around it.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts