Have license but not on the road.. yet

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
Dear lord, my first time riding on the road was so long ago that I have no idea what it was like! :p

• Haha
Reactions: YBGuy

nophix

Where's my coffee?
Apr 15, 2012
Stevens Point WI
I ride a
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
Same! We're talking legally 24 years ago, I got my Class M the same week as my 16th birthday. Literally did the Class D test, and registered for the Class M safety course the same day, and they had an opening for the weekend class. Now, unofficially, I had been on the street long before that.....

That said, my wife sort of just went through this. She hadn't had her Class M for too long, and we took a break from riding. So, she hasn't been on a bike in 7ish years, when she came back on this year. She was nervous as hell at first, but it faded fast. I will say we have the advantage of living rural, so it was probably much easier to get her street legs back without the extra traffic risks and what not.

I've also taught MSF, and put many new riders on bikes, and will say for the most part the jitters are usually gone after a half season or so.

nophix

Where's my coffee?
Apr 15, 2012
Stevens Point WI
I ride a
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
I don't think I'd have the patience to teach a class on how to ride.
It's not bad. Actually a lot of fun, and the excitment the new riders get when things start to click is pretty awesome to watch. My favorite was years ago, I had a girl who was just barely 21. Her parents were very strict growing up, like ankle length dresses strict. She wasn't even allowed to wear jeans, because it wasn't "proper".

She broke away when she went to college and was doing very well for herself, and she had always liked the idea of bikes and the freedom of exploration. She had never even driven a manual transmission. Took her a bit, but once she got the feel of it and the rythmn, she was unstoppable! She was SO happy! Her parents even threatened to disown her over it, but she was over them. I wound up teaching her at the ERC a year later, and she was doing fantastic on her SV650. She wound up doing some track schools with us as well, and eventually discovered dual sports and adventure riding. It's been a while since I've heard from her, but she did end up going hardcore into Iron Butt and endurance, and was rocking it on a Vstrom 650. I know she still rides, she pops up in pics with some mutual friends once in a while, but she moved out state for work. She was so scared at first, but the shift was so fast and the level of happiness she had was amazing.

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
It's not bad. Actually a lot of fun, and the excitment the new riders get when things start to click is pretty awesome to watch. My favorite was years ago, I had a girl who was just barely 21. Her parents were very strict growing up, like ankle length dresses strict. She wasn't even allowed to wear jeans, because it wasn't "proper".

She broke away when she went to college and was doing very well for herself, and she had always liked the idea of bikes and the freedom of exploration. She had never even driven a manual transmission. Took her a bit, but once she got the feel of it and the rythmn, she was unstoppable! She was SO happy! Her parents even threatened to disown her over it, but she was over them. I wound up teaching her at the ERC a year later, and she was doing fantastic on her SV650. She wound up doing some track schools with us as well, and eventually discovered dual sports and adventure riding. It's been a while since I've heard from her, but she did end up going hardcore into Iron Butt and endurance, and was rocking it on a Vstrom 650. I know she still rides, she pops up in pics with some mutual friends once in a while, but she moved out state for work. She was so scared at first, but the shift was so fast and the level of happiness she had was amazing.
That's a cool story nophix, does she have a yt channel by any chance?

Reactions: nophix

nophix

Where's my coffee?
Apr 15, 2012
Stevens Point WI
I ride a
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
That's a cool story nophix, does she have a yt channel by any chance?
Not that I know of. She really doesn't even do social media, which is how we lost contact. The pics I've seen her in were from group rides with some mutual friends from out of state.

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT

Awesome story. I knew a girl when I was younger who followed a similar trajectory, but without motorcycles. Her parents were so strict that after 18 she basically left them to live her life the way she wanted to. Became a modern day gypsy of sorts but she's had an amazing life filled with fun and adventures. I don't know if she ever made up with her parents, they mostly disowned her after she stopped following their strict rules.

• Wow
Reactions: YBGuy and nophix

AlanSmith7

Wannabie Member
Aug 17, 2020
I ride a
Suzuki Hayabusa
Harley Davidson Dyna Fatbob
When I first ride on the road I was with my father It was scary but it goes well. Then the first time when I was riding a motorcycle alone on the road is the best feeling ever I had in my life. It felts like I am a bird who is flying on the road. I must say it was the perfect ride and mesmerizing.

Last edited by a moderator:

FloraAllis

Wannabie Member
May 3, 2023
I ride a
Yamaha R6 2009
So I have a question for all of you. maybe silly but how was your first time on the road? I have my motorcycle license, I can ride a bike but I still have a weird feeling when I jump on the road. I guess a small fear something bad is going to happen. Did any of you have the same? also how did you overcome it?
Here are a few tips that might help:

Start slow: Begin by riding in a quiet neighborhood or a parking lot, where there is little traffic and few obstacles. Gradually work your way up to busier roads and highways.

Take a course: Consider taking a motorcycle safety course. These courses can help you learn the basics of safe riding and give you the confidence you need to ride on the road.

Gear up: Make sure you're wearing the proper gear, including a helmet, gloves, boots, and protective clothing. This will help keep you safe in case of an accident, and it can also help you feel more confident.

Visualize success: Visualize yourself riding confidently and safely on the road. This can help you overcome your fear and build confidence.

Practice, practice, practice: The more you ride, the more comfortable you'll become. Practice riding in different weather conditions and on different types of roads to gain experience and build confidence.

MotoWolfUK

L Plate Member
Mar 4, 2023
Hampshire, UK
linktr.ee
I ride a
Wife
I’ve not been on the road long but my advice is to avoid group riding with friends who also don’t have much experience and take your time - don’t let cars bully you into going faster than you feel comfortable

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts