Have license but not on the road.. yet

lilith.L

Wannabie Member
Mar 11, 2020
I ride a
Pillion on a Daytona 675
So I have a question for all of you. maybe silly but how was your first time on the road? I have my motorcycle license, I can ride a bike but I still have a weird feeling when I jump on the road. I guess a small fear something bad is going to happen. Did any of you have the same? also how did you overcome it?

Reactions: Theodor and R-Rated

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton + Harley Lowrider
After spending my youth on a BMX, I tried to bunny hop my CBF250 over a gutter and ended up on the grass with a dislocated shoulder. Fun times.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
It was 29 years ago for me, it was intimidating, but at the time I was having to cycle to school around 8 miles so I was just grateful not to have to peddle! :D

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
I still get that feeling from time to time. It is part of the adventure of riding. I think humans have that wired in to keep us paying attention.

What seems to get more riders hurt is overconfidence. Kind of the universe hitting the reset button on us paying attention again.

See my other post where I quoted my Grandfather, that is how I get over it.

Reactions: HippoDrone

B.Vation

@Bikervation
Feb 28, 2019
Wiltshire
I ride a
2007 Harley Davidson Sportster XL1200R Roadster
48 years ago for me, I was totally intimidated and stuck to the kerb!! Bad idea as drivers just took what was left of the road and forced me even further in. After a scary 2 miles I moved to the middle and refused to be intimidated ;) been there ever since , Ride safe, Chris

CafeBrakes

Coffee Brakes
Jul 26, 2019
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2018 Yamaha R3
2014 Honda CBR1000RR
Delinquent move haha, Just kidding. Reminds of my rebellious days in high school. Better safe than sorry is what I live by during these times

Desmo

Desmodromico
Dec 29, 2019
Belgium
www.youtube.com
I ride a
MV Agusta Turismo Veloce 800 & Ducati 999
My first ride was a thrill for sure, after 6 hours of training I got a temporary permit and went to the store to pick up my bike. There was a store event going on that weekend and police officers were taking a look in the garage where my bike was being prepped for my first ride. My bike was fitted with open exhausts as loud as you can imagine and there I was hesitating whether to get on my bike and probably get fined or not. The store owner offered these guys an alcoholic beverage which they took and it shut them up for sure. Then I peddled towards the exit of the garage as it had a rather narrow space and I had no riding experience.

• Haha
Reactions: HippoDrone

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
Parking lot practice did a lot for me, and really built my confidence. I read a lot as well - David L. Hough's Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well - read cover to cover. Really helped a lot too.

- Wolf

WildOn2s

WildOn2s Vlog
Feb 18, 2020
San Antonio,Tx
I ride a
Indian Chief dark horse
So I have a question for all of you. maybe silly but how was your first time on the road? I have my motorcycle license, I can ride a bike but I still have a weird feeling when I jump on the road. I guess a small fear something bad is going to happen. Did any of you have the same? also how did you overcome it?
You just have to get on the bike and put in miles.

Reactions: whingnut

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
I see you have not been on for a while, but start with the small roads first and areas you are familiar with, maybe areas where you can make lots of right turns! (In the USA), so you don't have to cross traffic.

chris 2WJ

Wannabie Member
May 29, 2021
Dublin, Ireland
www.instagram.com
I ride a
Ducati Hyperstrada
From what I can remember I felt a similar weird feeling to this. The only way to overcome is hours in the saddle. Stick to routes you are already familiar with and with time the observation, control and decision making that motorcycle riding needs will move from the part of the brain that controls conscious thought to the part which controls muscle memory/reflexes.

Reactions: YBGuy

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
It has now been close to 11 years, but I still remember my first time on the street. I had no motorized two wheeler experience before going to driving school. After completing three lessons in the training field, on 125cc, 500cc and then 650cc accordingly, I managed to do all the required exercises well enough, teacher decided to take me on to the road. I felt a bit unsure myself, but hey, teacher knows better, he has experience. First street, out from the training area was 30kph street, so all well and nice - same speed as brake and swerve test, I felt ok. And then he asked me to turn on to a 70kph road immediately. Oh boy did that feel fast initially. I did everything wrong - stiffened my arms and rolled throttle on and off. But After that the normal streets with 50kph seemed a breeze and the fear went away.

MachKneel

Insta : @flex_and_freedom
Mar 23, 2021
Co.Derry, Ireland
I ride a
Harley Davidson Softail 2021, Yamaha R6 2005
I remember telling my riding instructor on my first lesson that I didn't think I was cut out for a motorcycle and I struggled with a Varadero 125CC in a car park!

It is like most skills in life, practice!

Still one of the best decisions I ever made and has given me so many memories and experiences.

Disclaimer : one of the most expensive hobbies in the world :D:confused:

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
It has now been close to 11 years, but I still remember my first time on the street. I had no motorized two wheeler experience before going to driving school. After completing three lessons in the training field, on 125cc, 500cc and then 650cc accordingly, I managed to do all the required exercises well enough, teacher decided to take me on to the road. I felt a bit unsure myself, but hey, teacher knows better, he has experience. First street, out from the training area was 30kph street, so all well and nice - same speed as brake and swerve test, I felt ok. And then he asked me to turn on to a 70kph road immediately. Oh boy did that feel fast initially. I did everything wrong - stiffened my arms and rolled throttle on and off. But After that the normal streets with 50kph seemed a breeze and the fear went away.
Nice first ride story Theodor.

Reactions: Theodor

Riderguide

Neil - The Rider Guider
Feb 24, 2019
South Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha Tenere 700 T7
My wife has just had her first ride on the road, benefited massively from having me along and we reviewed the video together to discuss how she went. I would recommend also getting an instructor to join you for a ride and see if you can get some communication between helmets, it's great to get hints and tips on the move. Extra training is gold. You might feel better after your first bimble. Hint - the video is on my channel ;-)

stephgoes4

Wannabie Member
Oct 25, 2021
Chicago, IL
www.instagram.com
I ride a
2012 Harley Sportster 72
My first time on the road was a couple months ago. I was scared as hell but just went for it and since then the fear has mostly gone away, I've gone on highways, etc. You kinda just have to say "f**k it. i'm going for it.' lol. I actually documented my first time on the road on my new YouTube channel I just launched if you're interested. I'll be posting all of my experiences that come with being a new rider. Stay safe out there!

Last edited by a moderator:

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts