GoPro mic adapter and poor weather

LRBOB

Wannabie Member
Jul 14, 2020
Manchester, UK
I ride a
CBR650R
Hi all,

For my audio recording I'm currently using a lav mic connected to my phone. At the moment it's not too bad, but it's a pain setting up every time I go for a ride. I'm considering getting the go pro mic adapter for a simpler setup and not needing to sync the audio during editing.

The one question I have is the side door on my gopro 7 black has to be removed and GoPro state it is no longer water proof, but has anyone had any issues with this setup if they get caught in rain?

Thanks
Rick

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Hi all,

For my audio recording I'm currently using a lav mic connected to my phone. At the moment it's not too bad, but it's a pain setting up every time I go for a ride. I'm considering getting the go pro mic adapter for a simpler setup and not needing to sync the audio during editing.

The one question I have is the side door on my gopro 7 black has to be removed and GoPro state it is no longer water proof, but has anyone had any issues with this setup if they get caught in rain?

Thanks
Rick

You could make it a bit more water resistant using a modified dive case and a Ulanzi door. Be sure to wrap a bit of tape where the plug passes though the case.

Also, tape over the USB-C port on the brick as well as wrap around the mic plug.

20200706_153729.jpg

It will not be 100% water proof as the factory door, but it will keep most of it out. Just don't submerge it.

I ran the same design on my Hero4 Silvers and they are still alive and thousands of miles.

Reactions: LandyVlad

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Can't do that with the 7 I don't think @R-Rated as there isn't a Ulanzi door for the 5/6/7... but you could use a dive case still! :)
When I ran a 5/6/7 with the mic adaptor I used Blu-Tac or electrical tape to seal it up a bit better.

Reactions: R-Rated

MMVNJ

Wannabie Member
Jul 28, 2020
I ride a
Indian Scout
HerTwoWheels found out on her recent trip to Florida that riding in the rain with the mic adapter plugged in will fry your GoPro.

Reactions: HippoDrone

LoneWally

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
I ride a
2007 Hartford HD125L, 2013 Honda CB500X
HerTwoWheels found out on her recent trip to Florida that riding in the rain with the mic adapter plugged in will fry your GoPro.

I did see. Though we all saw that coming since since she just uses the adapter with no effort on trying to make it resistant.

• Wow
Reactions: MMVNJ and R-Rated

motosera

Weirdo, mosher, freak
Jun 4, 2020
Cambridgeshire UK
www.motosera.com
I ride a
Honda CBR1100XX and Buel XB9R Custom
Been having intermittent issues with mine this weekend while we have been away. Its rained hard every day. I gave up and removed it from my helmet for some of the rides.

Its a shame gopro can't come up with a better solution. I know as soon as you put a connector on something its no longer waterproof though.

Some good ideas on this thread for sure. Makes my engineers brain start working

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CollingsB Camera Setups 31
G Camera Setups 11

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts