Editing Programs To Get Started?

ncyrider16

Wannabie Member
Jun 20, 2017
I ride a
FZ-09, SV650"R", Polaris Slingshot
Looking for a good, easy to use, do-it-all, cheap (or free) app/program to download on my new Dell Windows 10 laptop. Right now I only need a program for some basic editing features: trim out parts of a video, put music in videos, put pictures/memes in videos, zoom in/out of parts of a video, insert other video clips/thread videos together, and do slow-mo/speed-up parts of a video. I know Youtube has some of these editing features, but the quality of the video I posted went to crap during my last attempt.
I recently tried 4 or 5 different free video editing apps from the Windows store and I couldn't get any of them to do the basic editing stuff I want to do for posting videos on Youtube. Let me know what I should download or buy...

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
The full version is a lot better than the free demo version and is very simple yo use.

ShiftHer

Wannabie Member
Nov 14, 2015
Chicago area
shifther.com
I ride a
Yamaha FZ-07
I use Adobe Premier Elements. I think it's about 80 bucks. There is a basic mode and an expert mode. Lots of tutorials on YouTube, too, if you ever get stuck on how to do something. I think there is a free trial.

AmpdMoto

Check Me Out on Youtube
Aug 28, 2015
I ride a
Harley Davidson VRod
Download the GoPro editor. It's free and has all of the features that you are wanting. It's simple and renders in full quality.

I personally use Premier Pro but lately have been editing with iMovie that comes standard on my Mac. Simple and quick are what stand out to me when it comes to a motovlog.

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
If you're on Windows, give Windows Movie Maker a shot. Simple to use, like dead simple. Obviously not super advanced.

Reize

2 Wheeled Islander
Jan 20, 2016
Singapore
www.reizeprimus.tk
I ride a
DRZ400SM / Shadow 400 ACE / ZX6R
If you're on Windows, give Windows Movie Maker a shot. Simple to use, like dead simple. Obviously not super advanced.
I actually used that waay back when I started, but it's seriously lacking.

It's better to pick one good solid program from the get go regardless of the learning curve and get good with it so you don't have to eventually change down the line when you want to do advanced editing and compositing.

For the most basic, I recommend to nycrider to try using Sony Vegas Pro as a baseline, it's one of the easiest editors out there with decent features. Or you can pick up Adobe Premiere Pro which is even better, or I dare say the pinnacle of editing software.

Reactions: Superballs

Superballs

Superballs' Supervids
Jul 16, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
I ride a
1999 VFR800Fi

Unfortunately, you cant get this from Microsoft's site anymore. I think there are some third party download locations but those have become more often dubious at best with their proprietary installers and download managers these days.

Does anyone have a good source for anyone who is interested in WMM?

Superballs

Superballs' Supervids
Jul 16, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
I ride a
1999 VFR800Fi
I actually used that waay back when I started, but it's seriously lacking.

It's better to pick one good solid program from the get go regardless of the learning curve and get good with it so you don't have to eventually change down the line when you want to do advanced editing and compositing.

For the most basic, I recommend to nycrider to try using Sony Vegas Pro as a baseline, it's one of the easiest editors out there with decent features. Or you can pick up Adobe Premiere Pro which is even better, or I dare say the pinnacle of editing software.

I can second Premiere Pro.

Since I already had the photography package, I subbed to the yearly plan for the entire creative suite.

It's not cheap...but when you factor in always having updated software, it's way cheaper than buying it every year.

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Unfortunately, you cant get this from Microsoft's site anymore. I think there are some third party download locations but those have become more often dubious at best with their proprietary installers and download managers these days.

Does anyone have a good source for anyone who is interested in WMM?

You right, it was discontinued earlier this year, but MS plan to replace it with another video editor coming out later this year.

I still have the Windows Essentials 2012 installer on my local hard drive. I could dropbox this for anyone interested.

NF Vulcan

Never Hold In A Fart
Aug 26, 2017
Nebraska USA
www.facebook.com
I ride a
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan Mean Streak 1600 SE
Used GoPro studio for my first video. It was pretty easy but I could tell that it wasn't the best one out there, plus it doesn't help that my computer is slow as molasses. I might try different ones in the future but for now I'm going to learn the ins and outs of GoPro studio.

2WV

@2WheelVandal
Feb 25, 2017
South England
I ride a
A motorcycle, silly.
I started out on Sony Vegas Pro which was okay. It did the job and some big vloggers use it still today. But i soon jumped over to the Adobe Family range of programs as i was already very familiar with their After Effects so Premiere Pro came naturally to me. You'll have to pay a subscription if you want to use it though

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
If it's affordable go with the Adobe suites package. Having access to Premiere, After Effects, Audition and Photoshop allows you do so much more. I just designed my channel logo, and integrated into a number of AE templates. Plus you can download presets and plug-ins made specifically for Premiere and AE. There may be more of them than ones available in other programs.

If you are starting out use something simple in Windows or on a MAC, but also look into sources and tutorials just on editing, color correction and for sound -- compression, normalization, de-humming, de-hissing, etc. ... . When you'r ready (and you'll know when you've outgrown a program, then move up.

- Wuf

CaptYanni

CaptainYanni
Aug 28, 2017
Perth
I ride a
Ninja 300
I use wondershare filmora. There should be some tutorials on youtube showing you how to register it for free... you know... if you don't want to pay for it ;)

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
Look around for older versions of software. e.g. sony vegas 13 or 14. You can normally find them at a heavily discounted rate.

You tend to get almost all of the stuff you are going to want with the older versions anyway.

Reactions: HippoDrone

HYF

HOLDYOURFIRE
Aug 8, 2017
england, east sussex
I ride a
triumph speedmaster
i use sony vegas 14/15 i find it very easy and simple to use and its dose everything i need, i have tried a few others but i just could get my head around them at all so i gave up and stuck with vegas

Mark

Our Scenic Life
Sep 15, 2017
Ohio, USA
www.oursceniclife.com
I ride a
2014 Canam Spyder RT
I'm new here and wanted to recommend Davinci Resolve. (can't share links yet)
I use Premiere Pro CC for editing, BUT I also have DaVinci Resolve.
If you're looking to learn a workflow and tool set that is 99% identical to Premiere or Final Cut then you should start with Davinci Resolve.
The only reason I am still using Premiere is that I have a subscription and use Photoshop and After Effects.
  • It's free. (does 4k UHD)
  • Has fully customizable panel layout, programmable keys, etc.
  • When you first setup the software you can have it mimic the layout and shortcuts of either Premiere Pro or Final Cut (makes it easy to learn then transition if needed)
  • One of the best color grading systems in the industry.
  • It's free.
  • YouTube Casey Faris for good free training.
Thanks....

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts