Another Set Of Eyes - Want Feedback Of Your Vlog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SalvageSV

Hopes he doesn't crash this month
Feb 18, 2016
Birmingham, AL
I ride a
Salvaged SV1000S
Okay here is the final cut. I shimmed 4 minutes and cut out a lot of dead time. I think I made my wheelie attempt section a little more watchable.

Off the top, great audio ...

I think someone mentioned that the logo is hard to read. The black just blends in a lot. Also, you can annotate the subscribe mention so people can click it.

I liked the bumpy part around 1:10 ... that brought me back in.

I like the cut at 1:56. Nice work. Seamless time transition.

You need to annotate and link your content at the end too.

Overall a pretty tight edit. There were some places that were slow and content that really didn't hold me too well, but you also recovered from those many times, so I think you're hitting the right marks, content wise. You can't please everyone. But I liked the blocks I mentioned earlier, the turkeys, the snake, wheelie practice, the off-camber place in the sand, murder place, etc.

I didn't see the original but this definitely didn't need 4 more minutes. Nice adjustments.

I think if you gather your thoughts a little more you can tighten it up a little better next time and get closer to 5 min. Also, consider that each ride doesn't have to be a single vid. You can sometimes go out to find, say, the airstrip, but then get lost and doo off-road on the way and on the way back, and cut the wheelies and the off-road into two different videos out of order.

But, all that to say it was pretty good. No huge things to give feedback on.

Last edited:

NS.YT

Ultimate Savage
Jan 14, 2016
Tennessee
www.facebook.com
I ride a
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR 650
Off the top, great audio ...

I think someone mentioned that the logo is hard to read. The black just blends in a lot. Also, you can annotate the subscribe mention so people can click it.

I liked the bumpy part around 1:10 ... that brought me back in.

I like the cut at 1:56. Nice work. Seamless time transition.

You need to annotate and link your content at the end too.

Overall a pretty tight edit. There were some places that were slow and content that really didn't hold me too well, but you also recovered from those many times, so I think you're hitting the right marks, content wise. You can't please everyone. But I liked the blocks I mentioned earlier, the turkeys, the snake, wheelie practice, the off-camber place in the sand, murder place, etc.

I didn't see the original but this definitely didn't need 4 more minutes. Nice adjustments.

I think if you gather your thoughts a little more you can tighten it up a little better next time and get closer to 5 min. Also, consider that each ride doesn't have to be a single vid. You can sometimes go out to find, say, the airstrip, but then get lost and doo off-road on the way and on the way back, and cut the wheelies and the off-road into two different videos out of order.

But, all that to say it was pretty good. No huge things to give feedback on.

I do see that I have a thing with chronological order lol. But you're right I can shop it up how I want I appreciate the feedback

Reactions: Hypertard

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
So, I just posted critiques of all of the videos posted so far. This is a look at what you'll get from me. I'm honest and I try to give solid advice and suggest solutions. I hope you all will do the same for me.

So far i think your critiques is all positive based and something most people can work with.

Even if they are not my video's, some information is also helpful for me, and probably many others ;)

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
I just leave this one here.

I know it isn't a vlog, but that is for a reason.
My vlogs aren't bad editing wise, even though there is still much to improve.
The music video's are a different cup of tea and i think there is much more room for improvement.

So that is why i choice this one to be the first one to bring to the butchers club here ;)

Hypertard

Life, the Universe and Bikes...
May 25, 2016
Oxfordshire
I ride a
BMW F800R, Husqvarna 900R

The music video's are a different cup of tea and i think there is much more room for improvement.

So that is why i choice this one to be the first one to bring to the butchers club here ;)

The visuals were excellent but the music was too cheesy for me.

:)

Hypertard

May 25, 2016
Oxfordshire
I ride a

Im trying a new format because iv moved to the lake district id love some feedback to what you guys think!

Great video, not too long and not too short. Lovely drone footage. The only crit is the intro could do with being half the length.

Reactions: BlackMamba

BlackMamba

WINNER!
May 17, 2015
Derby Eastmids UK
I ride a
Dl650 Vstrom
Thank you for the feed back thats not the 1st time someones has said that about the intro i will cut it down or make a new one i think. do you think this style of video will do well? i intend to do all 214 fells in the lakes like this

Hypertard

May 25, 2016
Oxfordshire
I ride a
Thank you for the feed back thats not the 1st time someones has said that about the intro i will cut it down or make a new one i think. do you think this style of video will do well? i intend to do all 214 fells in the lakes like this

I honestly don't think anyone has any idea of how a video will do. The golden rule is: if you enjoyed making and watching your own videos, then chances are, someone else will!

Reactions: BlackMamba

NS.YT

Ultimate Savage
Jan 14, 2016
Tennessee
www.facebook.com
I ride a
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR 650

I liked it, it kept me watching and I didn't feel bored. The bridge in the song though was a low point to me. I understand how techno has those bridge builds but putting it close to the middle of the video might lose people attention. Is the song long enough to start from the bridge build and go through the whole video? If so you might look in to going that route so there isn't a lull in the soundtrack. Or chop the video up to where the rooster tail in the sand is during the bridge since the slow motion shot will play well with the bridge. Other than that it was entertaining and engaging, plus it's on a bike that a lot of people are curious about.

NS.YT

Ultimate Savage
Jan 14, 2016
Tennessee
www.facebook.com
I ride a
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR 650

Im trying a new format because iv moved to the lake district id love some feedback to what you guys think!

I have to echo Hypertard, cut the intro a bit. The drone footage was amazing but the shot where you are circling the peak a few times I'd cut down to once or twice as it became a bit repetitive. Also what is the drone shooting resolution versus your helmet cam? Can they shoot the same res? The drone footage was crisp and cinematic in nature but the helmet cam was pixelated. Do you have the ability to match the quality closer? Also have you thought about running a drone clip before your motorcycle vocal set up? I think it would be more engaging to have a teaser of what's to come before you set the section up. I enjoyed it but I think you could play with it and switch a few things around to really make the video pop.

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
I liked it, it kept me watching and I didn't feel bored. The bridge in the song though was a low point to me. I understand how techno has those bridge builds but putting it close to the middle of the video might lose people attention. Is the song long enough to start from the bridge build and go through the whole video? If so you might look in to going that route so there isn't a lull in the soundtrack. Or chop the video up to where the rooster tail in the sand is during the bridge since the slow motion shot will play well with the bridge. Other than that it was entertaining and engaging, plus it's on a bike that a lot of people are curious about.

Thanks.

After rewatching the video i see what you mean.
That is something i didn't think about, but i'm going to remember.

probably have either a song without (such a long) bridge or like you set, but something more suitable for the bridge in that location of the edit.

Hypertard

May 25, 2016
Oxfordshire
I ride a
Holy shit! Those views! Great epic video, the only thing i didnt like was asking for subs and likes, i dont want to be rude but i just find it a bit much when its asked for as i always beleive: "Never ask for what should be freely given."

:)

Viper1350

Wannabie Member
Jan 15, 2016
Cape Town, South Africa
I ride a
Yamaha YZF-R6
Here is my submission for the week

First off, this kept me interested. Not so much the music, but the scenery and the fact that it's Pikes. The views were amazing and the quality of the picture as well. Some colour correction could have gone in there, but it's not yearning for it.

The most important thing though, is that I was really struggling to hear what you were saying. I'm not sure what mic setup you're using, but it's quite muffled. If it's behind a cheek pad, maybe move it to the front of the helmet with a windshield on it ;)

Otherwise, great edit!

NS.YT

Ultimate Savage
Jan 14, 2016
Tennessee
www.facebook.com
I ride a
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR 650
Here is my submission for the week

I'll echo the whole audio thing. I could understand you but it was muffled. I think the establishing shot of "Today we're going there" that should be it. The second cut after should be the park entrance and starting the hill climb. It's cuts to the chase of the content. Also, have you thought of making the music the main audio track until the informative bits come in? Like during the climb putting a soundtrack versus wind noise. Make the non-verbal sections engaging but using music to your advantage. The views were cool and you didn't fast pan which is nice. I always hate when I get 2 seconds of a view when the main point of the video was that exact view!. It was entertaining but I think it could flow better between music and talking.

Viper1350

Wannabie Member
Jan 15, 2016
Cape Town, South Africa
I ride a
Yamaha YZF-R6
Here's the uploaded edit of last week's crit video.

I've added:
New channel logo
No more silly intro clip
Annotations to another video/channel that I'm talking about in the video
Annotation to subscribe link
Colour correction
Cut out unnecessary pauses/talking
More concise tags
Shorter video title
Longer description
Video thumbnail

Let me know what you guys think ;)

Reactions: SalvageSV

Hypertard

May 25, 2016
Oxfordshire
I ride a
Definite improvement over the original. Shame you can't do anything about the street lighthing as it's pretty dark. I am hoping to do a night ride at some point, probably end up looking like yours :)

Viper1350

Wannabie Member
Jan 15, 2016
Cape Town, South Africa
I ride a
Yamaha YZF-R6
Definite improvement over the original. Shame you can't do anything about the street lighthing as it's pretty dark. I am hoping to do a night ride at some point, probably end up looking like yours :)

Yeah my camera doesn't do well at night. Unfortunately, it's mostly at night that I do vlogs.

Looking forward to seeing your night vlog mate. Thanks for the kind words ;)

JonJeoprdy

Wanderer...
May 16, 2016
Colorado
I ride a
F800GS
Holy shit! Those views! Great epic video, the only thing i didnt like was asking for subs and likes, i dont want to be rude but i just find it a bit much when its asked for as i always beleive: "Never ask for what should be freely given.":)

I know the "call to action" is debatable. Really I just need to get my outtro done and then I won't have to worry about it.

First off, this kept me interested. Not so much the music,...

I'll echo the whole audio thing....

The mic setup is the same as in all of my other vlogs, however, this time I messed with the levels instead of doing my usual gain I was trying to soften it between my talking and the music. Guess I went a little too soft, I'll have to make sure to watch that next time.

I was actually debating that second clip for the intro. I decided to leave it in to be more clear, but thinking about it now given the title of the video I agree it could have been taken out.

I kept the audio with the music because people seam to like to hear the engine noises. And I knew the music wasn't going to be everyone's cup o tea but I felt it fit with where I was.

Overall I'm glad this one went over well, this is the direction and type of vlog that I'm steering towards. A few technical things to take care of but that's no big deal. As always thanks for the feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts