Why You're Getting Wind Noise ...

WingManGT

Wannabie Member
Jan 16, 2017
Varna, Bulgaria
www.facebook.com
I ride a
2004 Kawasaki ZX-6r
Yeah I thought about soldering a resistor, but considering I have no idea what value I'm going to end up needing it has to be adjustable :). As for the resistance, the current mic I'm having is 600 ohm like a set of big full sized headphones. So if I'm correct in order to drop the level around 20dB i have to solder a 2.2k resistors, but I'd rather have it adjustable like I said. Still I'm gonna give it a shot since I won't have anything better to do during the winter.

MasterSpin

Ride Hard-Die Free
Nov 1, 2017
Empire calif.
masterspin77.net
I ride a
2015 mv agusta 800 dragster rr
I was frustrated with severe wind noise on my first 2-3 videos..tried blocking the front vents =nothing...at last I used my neck scarf to block the wind from under my chin=success!..My newer vids are now clear of wind noise at speed..I am using a prism tube with the stock mic.

Reactions: HippoDrone

Mrhooligan

Mr. Hooliganisms
Oct 17, 2017
WA
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton 900
Wow, I'm using a Sony ECMcs3. It's excellent when I'm riding around on roads around 45MPH (I also have the wind screens on. Helps a bit.) After that it gets shotty. I also don't have the most aerodynamical helmet either. But this is excellent information. I'll surely be looking into those proper mics. Thanks for sharing this information!!!

Reactions: Undead MV

CDA441

Red Viffer VTEC!
Apr 15, 2016
Belgium
cda441.wordpress.com
I ride a
'04 Honda VFR800 VTEC
So, I came to the conclusion that my voice is drown out by the wind noise at higher speeds. After numerous attempts with microphone fur and microphones, I finally bought a Sena 20S mic, and the quality is AMAZING!!! Thank you for your service by testing this! The voice is clear, there's a little bit of wind noise, but that doesn't matter because it gives the impression of riding and a little highpass filter can fix this. I probably needed to do this earlier.

CDA441

Red Viffer VTEC!
Apr 15, 2016
Belgium
cda441.wordpress.com
I ride a
'04 Honda VFR800 VTEC
Hmpf, after a few tests I feel like I still get an overload of wind noise when going over 120kmh (75mph).
Since I mostly ride highway, it's difficult to cut down on the noise. It's back to the drawing board.
I now have packed the mic tight in some foam from my other mics, and then packed it in fur to isolate the noise/vibration sounds(?) from the helmet. Though I don't know if it would matter. Till 100kmh it's clear as day, then afterwards the quality begins to degrade. Still a better mic than my Philips LFH.

CDA441

Red Viffer VTEC!
Apr 15, 2016
Belgium
cda441.wordpress.com
I ride a
'04 Honda VFR800 VTEC
@HippoDrone Well yeah I have tried that too, but the sound is then muffled way too much. Didn't really work out that well. If I talk it's too bassy, and since the wind is also bassy because of the turbulence (idk) it wil drown it out even more :')
I have disassembled the chin bar and filled up the vent with foam and other sound isolating stuff (fur, old furry sweatshirt) and I hope it will cut down on the little wind vortexes that SalvageSV was talking about.

oneblackdo

Wannabie Member
Apr 9, 2019
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
I ride a
2008 KLR650
Thanks heaps everyone for research & sharing.
I've just started with this and find the Sony CS3 picks up all the mechanical & wind noise (which there is a lot of) and drowns out my voice, so, Sena here I come.
Cheers, John

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
Thanks heaps everyone for research & sharing.
I've just started with this and find the Sony CS3 picks up all the mechanical & wind noise (which there is a lot of) and drowns out my voice, so, Sena here I come.
Cheers, John
Hey John, just remember the positioning is often more important than the equipment! :)

oneblackdo

Wannabie Member
Apr 9, 2019
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
I ride a
2008 KLR650
Hey John, just remember the positioning is often more important than the equipment! :)
Cheers, yes I've tried a few places - vertical (one pointing up, the other down) in the corner against the cheek pad (heard very little), vertical in the front (much better, but voice drowned out by mechanical & wind noise) & horizontal in front (a little bit better).
Maybe I need a quieter bike???? The new helmet is certainly a lot quieter.
I've just ordered the Sena 20s mic & adaptor to play with.

• Love

Uvtyler

Wannabie Member
Apr 13, 2019
I ride a
2003 v rod
Picked up a 20s sena mic. Firat adapter didnt qork. Used another 9ne from OP's link and all audio runs straight from the gopro hero 4 and not the mic itself. Lav mic picks up to much wind noise no matter what I do. I have a lot of wind pushing up from my vrod as well (helmet lifts up after 100mph. ) I'm at a loss on how to proceed :(

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
Sounds like you need a new helmet if it lifts up, doesn't sound like it fits properly. Once you have a helmet that wants to stay on your head, if you are getting a lot of wind, then you need to work out how to reduce that. I think I have seen something possibly called a helmet sock (I may be mistaken on the name) which fits around the base of the helmet and blocks the wind from coming up into it from underneath. You also don't really want your mic touching the shell of the helmet, it will suffer with induced wind noise there too. burying the mic in the cheek pad seems to work well for a few people, I do that on my road and dirt helmets.

Uvtyler

Wannabie Member
Apr 13, 2019
I ride a
2003 v rod
So I was wrong. My mics arnt being recognized by the go pro at all. Iv gone through 2 diffrent 10 pin miniusb to 3.5 adapters my guess is I need to bite the bullet and by the gopro one. Idk. Yes I do need a new helmet regardless. I have a mesh chin qind block and had the mics behind chin pads ect. My gopro just isnt recognizing the adapter and therfor not engaging my mics

Uvtyler

Wannabie Member
Apr 13, 2019
I ride a
2003 v rod
After checking the miniusb with a charging cable (which I made sure qorked with another device) it appears to not be qorking

Top Posters Past 30 days

Winners Video

Want your video here?
Supported by Suffolk SEO who helps maintain this site.

Latest posts