Hopes he doesn't crash this month
Feb 18, 2016
Birmingham, AL
I ride a
Salvaged SV1000S
From Oz but applies to all...
That's a pretty good vid.

This is my take on it...

If the vehicle is designed for X octane rating and is left as it came from the factory, run X fuel. You don't need extra octane.

If the vehicle's engine, intake, exhaust is modified and it's not retuned for a specific fuel, it's a safe choice to run higher octane fuel.

If the vehicle is modified and tuned for a specific fuel, use the fuel octane it's tuned for and no lower.

And, overall, most any vehicle (aside from crazy high hp race vehicles) can run on regular, lower octane fuel as long as the engine is not stressed. So if you only cruise around and never pass, go up hills or rev high, feel free to run low octane on your high compression modified bike. But, as soon as you roll on the throttle you could risk damage from detonation.

And the video mentions that all fuel is shipped in in AU. In the US that's not true. I'm not sure about other places. But in the US the multiple octane ratings are all similar in terms or the mix and detergents. Some premium fuels have additional detergents to help keep things clean, but it's not that much different than the cheap stuff. Bullshit, as the video says.

SalvageSV

Feb 18, 2016
Birmingham, AL
I ride a
Salvaged SV1000S
The basic info is:
USE THE FUEL RECOMMENDED BY THE MANUFACTURER

Anything higher won't hurt but is a waste of money.

Engines only need higher octane if the the compression is higher and the manufacturer will state what is needed.
Compression isn't the only thing that necessitates the need for higher octane fuel. Timing, fuel mix, VE changes, etc all play in to the possibility of the engine developing knock. Compression is a notable consideration, but not the only thing.

BurntRuber

Burnt Rubber TV
Apr 8, 2016
Florida
I ride a
DRZ400SM and random stuff people let me ride
Pretty much run the higher octane it could save you money in the long run.

Kartch

Wannabie Member
Apr 3, 2016
I ride a
Lot of different bikes.
The cheap stuff. Unless your bike needs the higher octane rating you are wasting your money.

Mousez

It's a KLR kinda thing.
Apr 30, 2016
I ride a
2013 KLR 650
87, cheapest I can get. Seafoam once every 3-5 tanks.

SmokyOwl

Hey dude, your hair is on fire.
Jul 3, 2016
Southern Wisconsin
I ride a
KZ1100 A2 Shaft
In my area we used to have 93 octane up until about 10 years ago it all switched to 91. On some pumps you can see the previous sticker underneath. Pretty common statewide in WI.

Ton

Rock n' Ride
Jul 7, 2016
I ride a
2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic
I use Non-oxygenated fuel whenever I can. There is a station near me that has it. It's 91 octane but the main reason I use it is because it does not have any additives that are harmful to your fuel system. Its recommended to run it in any small engine that may not be used on the daily. On long trips I use whatever is cheapest and has an octane rating that is recommended for my bike as I know it will be all run through and not have time to gum up my injectors or kill my pump. Running too high of octane can lead to pre-detonation and scored cylinders if your compression and timing are not set up for it.

JonJeoprdy

Wanderer...
May 16, 2016
Colorado
I ride a
F800GS
I've always run 91/93 whatever is the premium at the local station, in all of my bikes.

I don't think it's required in the GS as it is designed to be able to run on some sketchy fuel from 3rd world places.

But the cost difference is minimal, I still fill up for $10, so I don't mind.

SalvageSV

Feb 18, 2016
Birmingham, AL
I ride a
Salvaged SV1000S
Running too high of octane can lead to pre-detonation and scored cylinders if your compression and timing are not set up for it.
This is not true. Octane is a measure of knock resistance. There is no negative benefit from having extra knock protection. It's the same fuel type, just with added aromatics, etc, so the stoichiometry is the same and it burns the same.

Ton

Rock n' Ride
Jul 7, 2016
I ride a
This is not true. Octane is a measure of knock resistance. There is no negative benefit from having extra knock protection. It's the same fuel type, just with added aromatics, etc, so the stoichiometry is the same and it burns the same.
Thanks for calling me out, I will do some research. I always thought that was the case as I have seen guys try to run super high octane race fuel and airplane fuel in their bikes and have heard the ping and seen the scored cylinder after the fact. Maybe there is a difference in it being race or airplane fuels. Or maybe the correlation is completely off. Google will have the answers! :)

SalvageSV

Feb 18, 2016
Birmingham, AL
I ride a
Salvaged SV1000S
Thanks for calling me out, I will do some research. I always thought that was the case as I have seen guys try to run super high octane race fuel and airplane fuel in their bikes and have heard the ping and seen the scored cylinder after the fact. Maybe there is a difference in it being race or airplane fuels. Or maybe the correlation is completely off. Google will have the answers! :)
Yeah, the type of fuel makes a notable difference. If you run high octane unleaded it should be fine. But if you do leaded or airplane fuel the additives can cause issues, but mainly with sensors. Don't quote me on this, but "airplane fuel" might have a high concentration of aromatics like toluene or xylene. They are fine in small amounts, but in large amounts are too dry and while they shouldn't cause pinging, they will cause fuel lines and other items to dry out and fail.

Reactions: Ton

Ton

Rock n' Ride
Jul 7, 2016
I ride a
Yeah, the type of fuel makes a notable difference. If you run high octane unleaded it should be fine. But if you do leaded or airplane fuel the additives can cause issues, but mainly with sensors. Don't quote me on this, but "airplane fuel" might have a high concentration of aromatics like toluene or xylene. They are fine in small amounts, but in large amounts are too dry and while they shouldn't cause pinging, they will cause fuel lines and other items to dry out and fail.

Also wanted to say its cool to see an SV die hard. 2006 SV1000S was my main bike for the last 8 years until I got my Scrambler. It was hard to let go but I'm really happy with the decision.

SalvageSV

Feb 18, 2016
Birmingham, AL
I ride a
Salvaged SV1000S
Also wanted to say its cool to see an SV die hard. 2006 SV1000S was my main bike for the last 8 years until I got my Scrambler. It was hard to let go but I'm really happy with the decision.
Thanks! I recently tested the new Scrambler and love it ... we seem to think alike.

Reactions: Ton

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts