What Type Of Gas Do Ya'll Use?

NevRR

Wannabie Member
Feb 15, 2015
United Kingdom
I ride a
Honda CBR600RR
Always high octane, preferably Shell V-power Nitro+. I always get a higher mileage with this fuel, and my bike tends to feel a bit happier.

SteinerOTR

Wannabie Member
Jul 19, 2016
I ride a
Kawasaki
Always always always ron 98 (93 in the states i think) either way it's always the most premium fuel available,

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
I ride 2014 HD Limited and run premium. I found on my cross country trip that around here and to Chicago, premium was 92 or 93. The further west I went, the highest octane was only 90. Which mid here is 89 so I am confused why the difference.

SteinerOTR

Wannabie Member
Jul 19, 2016
I ride a
Kawasaki
I ride 2014 HD Limited and run premium. I found on my cross country trip that around here and to Chicago, premium was 92 or 93. The further west I went, the highest octane was only 90. Which mid here is 89 so I am confused why the difference.
not a hundred percent sure but i think it could have to do with elevation

Reactions: R-Rated

DansJaunts

Smartass, tech wizard
Aug 20, 2016
Hungary
I ride a
MZ ETZ 125
Here the two types we have are mostly 95 and 98 octane, having an older bike and a cheaper choice, I go with 95 myself.

Generally - as browsing through the replies - us, riders don't really have to worry about octane. Simplified, that will only mean the compression threshold of the fuel. Let me explain!

Tech talk:
I'd call most of our bikes have around 10:1 compression ratio. Just to give you an idea on it, my 1987 single cylinder 125 has that, a typical cruiser would have about 9.x:1 and higher rev bikes can have about 11,12,13:1, such as an R1 (Depending on year).

Technically, the reason why you need higher octane gas is because of the magical thing we call "knocking". Basically -depending on your compression - the gas will ignite itself before the spark plug fires because it can't take the compression. And THAT is what kills power, not to mention the ENGINE itself.

Ethanol is the second killer. Companies use that to save money on their gas additives, which means cheaper gas, that is all good and everything until you realize that it absorbs the moisture in air, gums up in your carb jets and fuel injection lines and generally oxidizes everything you don't want. Avoid at all costs.

It all comes down to this:
- No ethanol.
- Treat your bike well, high octane will cause no harm.
- Big rev machines = advised high octane, low spinners = preferably higher, but won't reject low ;)
- My personal recommendation for good treatment and a tiny bit of power: Shell V-Nitro +
Won't become a rocket, but the bike will definitely like it!

Thanks for reading!

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Here the two types we have are mostly 95 and 98 octane, having an older bike and a cheaper choice, I go with 95 myself.

Generally - as browsing through the replies - us, riders don't really have to worry about octane. Simplified, that will only mean the compression threshold of the fuel. Let me explain!

Tech talk:
I'd call most of our bikes have around 10:1 compression ratio. Just to give you an idea on it, my 1987 single cylinder 125 has that, a typical cruiser would have about 9.x:1 and higher rev bikes can have about 11,12,13:1, such as an R1 (Depending on year).

Technically, the reason why you need higher octane gas is because of the magical thing we call "knocking". Basically -depending on your compression - the gas will ignite itself before the spark plug fires because it can't take the compression. And THAT is what kills power, not to mention the ENGINE itself.

Ethanol is the second killer. Companies use that to save money on their gas additives, which means cheaper gas, that is all good and everything until you realize that it absorbs the moisture in air, gums up in your carb jets and fuel injection lines and generally oxidizes everything you don't want. Avoid at all costs.

It all comes down to this:
- No ethanol.
- Treat your bike well, high octane will cause no harm.
- Big rev machines = advised high octane, low spinners = preferably higher, but won't reject low ;)
- My personal recommendation for good treatment and a tiny bit of power: Shell V-Nitro +
Won't become a rocket, but the bike will definitely like it!

Thanks for reading!

Very good explanation!

I remember hearing slight ping while riding up on the Angels Crest Highway outside of Los Angeles, but they did not have as of octane as here in Tennessee and the elevation was higher.

I should have gotten some octane booster but hindsight is 20/20.

Reactions: DansJaunts

DansJaunts

Smartass, tech wizard
Aug 20, 2016
Hungary
I ride a
MZ ETZ 125
I remember hearing slight ping while riding up on the Angels Crest Highway outside of Los Angeles, but they did not have as of octane as here in Tennessee and the elevation was higher.
Yes indeed sir! It makes a weird noise in the cylinder, pinging, knocking, something like that.
Altitude is another thing to watch. Different heights affect the air-fuel mixture ratio, it's a common problem for racers.

Djustified

Wannabie Member
Aug 29, 2016
Sri Lanka
I ride a
Honda XR 250 (2007)
For me 92 Octane has worked the best. 95 Octane has proved to be producing less power and consuming more fuel in my experience

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts