What Is Your Opinions On High-visibility Jackets When Riding A Motorcycle?

JonJeoprdy

Wanderer...
May 16, 2016
Colorado
I ride a
F800GS
LIGHTS! If you want to be seen ride with your high beam on during the day and even at night as long as you're not blinding people. LEDs are even better as they are more piercing than a standard incandescent bulb.

When I'm not being cool in my black leather jacket, I have the Rev'IT sand 2 with the blaze orange across the shoulders. It's not so much about the fact that it's has high vis it has more to do with that makes the jacket have three different color blocks white, black, and orange and breaking up your profile making it more visually interesting I think does help, and bring you out of the background. Not as much as lights but does help.

BurntRuber

Burnt Rubber TV
Apr 8, 2016
Florida
I ride a
DRZ400SM and random stuff people let me ride
I don't wear high vis yellow because I just wear shorts and a t shirt. It's way to hot here for jackets and I don't like the look of it.

Aleks

Wannabie Member
Feb 29, 2016
I ride a
Honda Varadero XL125 (53 plate)
I don't wear high vis yellow because I just wear shorts and a t shirt. It's way to hot here for jackets and I don't like the look of it.
In England most of the time if you don't wear at least a jacket you'll be pretty cold. It's kinda of a win-win scenario cos you can wear all your gear most of the time and not get too hot. On the other hand we do have quite a bit of rain.

Aleks

Wannabie Member
Feb 29, 2016
I ride a
I repeat, Hi_VIZ may give you a feeling of safety that may put you at more risk, in many cases its less safe than black wear. TFL research has proved that HI-VIZ is not the answer!!! Just because its 'intuitive' to you that HI VIZ must make you more visible, it doesn't make it so.... look past your own pre-conceptions and look at the evidence. Thats why it is not mandatory to wear.

Ride like your vulnerable...... and you will be safer. If you think that Hi-VIZ is helping you.... you may be at more risk of an accident.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22062342

The TRL's report says:

The results are interesting in that they show the previously held assertion that a bright reflective jacket will improve rider conspicuity may not always be true ...

[T]he message seems to be that the most conspicuous outfit will be dictated by the lighting conditions and local environment at the time, which may be extremely variable within the confines of even a fairly short ride.

In the conclusion they add:

Given that environments may differ over even fairly small changes in time or location, there is not likely to be a one-size-fits-all solution, meaning that motorcyclists need to be aware of the limitations of whichever interventions they use.
Thanks for the reply! I unintentionally ride like I'm vulnerable just because I'm a noob and I hope I never lose the habit because it seems that your much safer if you do.

Aleks

Wannabie Member
Feb 29, 2016
I ride a
LIGHTS! If you want to be seen ride with your high beam on during the day and even at night as long as you're not blinding people. LEDs are even better as they are more piercing than a standard incandescent bulb.

When I'm not being cool in my black leather jacket, I have the Rev'IT sand 2 with the blaze orange across the shoulders. It's not so much about the fact that it's has high vis it has more to do with that makes the jacket have three different color blocks white, black, and orange and breaking up your profile making it more visually interesting I think does help, and bring you out of the background. Not as much as lights but does help.
I'm actually thinking about buying a new jacket that isn't 99% black just to make me that little bit more visible just as an extra precaution. Also, from what a lot of people have said including you, lights and LEDs are a great way to go because they are more visible from any distance than a high vis jacket... and they look cooler :D

Aleks

Wannabie Member
Feb 29, 2016
I ride a
I just want to say thanks for all the replies and great advice!

F4celess

Cold
Dec 20, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer
A thought on this topic. I find it amusing that so many touring oriented riders choose to have a black bike. Only to cover themselves up in hi-viz everything. It seems a bit silly to not make use of the big surface that is fairings and apply a not only cool, but pretty visible color. Such as red, yellow and white.

As far as the high-beam goes. I find myself being blinded by some of the bikes I meet on the road, bike headlights aren't that bad.

Doing a search on the Norwegian idea of craigslist, out 65 bikes made for touring. only 25 of them has a non-black color. Including darker grays.
The perfect bike for me turned up at the local dealer the other day. A 2010 Yamaha Diversion F. Low mileage, nearly stock, close to me. BUT, it's matte black, so frustrating.

Aleks

Wannabie Member
Feb 29, 2016
I ride a
A thought on this topic. I find it amusing that so many touring oriented riders choose to have a black bike. Only to cover themselves up in hi-viz everything. It seems a bit silly to not make use of the big surface that is fairings and apply a not only cool, but pretty visible color. Such as red, yellow and white.

As far as the high-beam goes. I find myself being blinded by some of the bikes I meet on the road, bike headlights aren't that bad.

Doing a search on the Norwegian idea of craigslist, out 65 bikes made for touring. only 25 of them has a non-black color. Including darker grays.
The perfect bike for me turned up at the local dealer the other day. A 2010 Yamaha Diversion F. Low mileage, nearly stock, close to me. BUT, it's matte black, so frustrating.
To be honest a lot of bikes do look good in black, but what you could do with the Diversion F you like is something similar to the picture I have posted, (if it worked). A nearly all matte black GSXR with some high vis paint on it and it looks amazing in my opinion, it will be considerably more visible, and it won't be too expensive to paint.
I have also noticed some bikes going past me and sometimes I find myself being blinded by their lights, and I feel like it would just frustrate people if anything.

Behold....
Thanks for the reply!
DSCF8294.jpg

F4celess

Cold
Dec 20, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer
Might as well just paint the entire bike in whatever color I want then. And yes, hiviz green is the best option for optimal visibility.
I'm not much of a hiviz type myself. I merely find black to be a pretty boring and "safe" color for a bike. The road is gray enough to begin with. I want color. My frustration has little to do with being seen.

BurntRuber

Burnt Rubber TV
Apr 8, 2016
Florida
I ride a
DRZ400SM and random stuff people let me ride
In England most of the time if you don't wear at least a jacket you'll be pretty cold. It's kinda of a win-win scenario cos you can wear all your gear most of the time and not get too hot. On the other hand we do have quite a bit of rain.
it rains allot here the bad part is its still hot a fuck when its raining and hotter after its done.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts