What Is Everyone's Microphone Set Ups?

TheViking

The Viking Biker
Mar 21, 2018
Bedfordshire, UK
www.TheVikingBiker.co.uk
I ride a
Harley Davidson Sportster Iron 883
I don't use a manufactured deadcat, I make my own so trim the fur to suit the role :) I also line the chin piece with fur too, especially around the wind deflector on the neck

hmmm hadn't thought about trimming it, maybe I'll give that a try.
didn't help that my visor kept misting up so i had to open the mouth piece :/

Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
do you use a PinLock? The standard PinLock is the 70, but they also do a 120 which works better :)

TheViking

The Viking Biker
Mar 21, 2018
Bedfordshire, UK
www.TheVikingBiker.co.uk
I ride a
Harley Davidson Sportster Iron 883
do you use a PinLock? The standard PinLock is the 70, but they also do a 120 which works better :)

I received my pinlock visor today and am expecting the insert tomorrow so all being well that will solve the issue I've been having... even with an anti fog visor and with treatments I was just getting stupid amounts of condensation on the inside of the visor.

HeyItsRick

MotoRickyRicardo
Apr 6, 2018
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2017 Harley Davidson Iron 833
I'm running the gopro mic adapter with a 6 inch bendy mic from amazon. I'd post the link but I'm new :D

Oddly enough, the Sony ESMCS3 doesnt work on the adapter at speed, it cuts out all the time and I attempted the Giant Squid mic that some motovloggers I follow recommend but that thing picks up TOO MUCH audio lol.

The bendy mic works for me since the adapter is mounted to my chin and it runs though a slit in my chin curtain. Foam, Dead Cat and a bandana wrap for good measure and i'm pretty happy with my setup.

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
I am using my intercom's microphone and record the voice on my phone via bluetooth. It is not a good solution,and the sound is mono, but after some editing, the sound quality is enough for vlog.
Do you get the buzzing sound? I do it the same way, and I have to do a lot of noise filtering in post.

pimp

Wannabie Member
Apr 17, 2015
Llanelli Wales UK
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple R 2012
I tuck mine inside the cheek pad at the closest part to my mouth. The pad keeps the mic away from the shell and acts as a windsock to keep out wind noise. I have used this method at 100+mph with a straight pipes exhaust and can still hear my voice audio just fine without too much wind noise.
This is what I do too. Its worth mentioning to play with audio settings on camera too as this can help in only picking up just voice and not other unwanted noise.

I would love to know if there are any people who record separate exhaust noise, and where and how they find best for their zoom tascam etc.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I would love to know if there are any people who record separate exhaust noise, and where and how they find best for their zoom tascam etc.
Just get a louder exhaust :D My motogymkhana stuff isn't a good example as I refitted the standard silencer to the bike but my other videos all have the bike noise recorded from within my helmet and I get a lot of comments saying how nice the bikes sound! :)

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
If that isn't an option though then a tascam wrapped between 2 large sponges placed under the pillion seat should be out the weather and wind and the sponges will work as a dead cat as well as stop it rattling about under the seat/seat cover :)

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
I have tried few ways, for recording the engine sound, while riding. Most pleasing result I got, was strapping the mic on my back, attached to the belt of my chesty. No dead animals involved, only small woolly cloth over it, to help it stay put.
It is important to note, that I have relatively up straight seating position.

Javiyellow

Motovloggers Unite!!!
Mar 26, 2018
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Honda VFR800
I had my Lavalier Giant Squid mic near my right temple but the sound was muffled and there was a lot of wind noise so I moved it to my chin and now the audio is much clearer with barely any wind noise below 70mph.

CDA441

Red Viffer VTEC!
Apr 15, 2016
Belgium
cda441.wordpress.com
I ride a
'04 Honda VFR800 VTEC
I have my LFH 91740 clipped on the removable chin curtain (after failing to stick it with double sided tape).
Having a modular helmet, it is more difficult to get a good "voice and bike" sound, but it seems to be OK. Even on the highway the wind noise is manageable :)
In addition to putting it behind the chin curtain, I have a deadcat made from an old fluffy sweater (thick and doesn't let any wind through) and it seems to work fine.
I also talk through my own pop filter (a balaclava) which helps even more with the sound quality.

In previous iterations I had one channel muted by sticking a piece of velcro over it and copied the left channel to the right one, where I could choose between engine noise or voice. Now I have both!

CasB

Wannabie Member
Apr 21, 2015
The Netherlands
I ride a
Triumph Sprint 900
I use the Drift mic and have it in my cheekpad, works fine for speeds below 100km/h (60m/h)

Undead MV

If there is light, there shall be dark
Oct 9, 2017
Mexico City
I ride a
Bajaj Avenger Street 220
I clip my mic on the fabric chin cover too, I suggest you if you want to vlog do it during traffic or low-med speeds, if you do on high speeds wind noise will be a pain.

AridRider

Wannabie Member
May 4, 2018
Arizona
www.youtube.com
I ride a
CBR500RA
so ive been trying to find the best way to get good quality sound while out on my bike. what i normally use on my v-strom isnt working on my ninja :/ the wind noise is just too bad and im not able to use the videos :'( if anyone has any advice or pics and videos please tech me haha.
cheers guys :)

I use a Git2 setup with a microUSB microphone set-up. Works perfect for my needs.

Reactions: R-Rated

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
Hmm..I feel like I have posted to this topic before but this thread looks different.

Panda-MW1-WS1-01.png

Any how here are a few of the different windscreens I have tried. The standard Purple Panda (aka Panda) is not bad but its a little too small to get the Panda blimp and the Panda mic to fit together at the same time. You can force it but you have a high chance of ripping the Panda deadcat. What I have been using (that seems to work the best so far for me) is the Purple mic, with Panda black blimp windscreen on top of that with the Bestshoot MW-1 windscreen on top of that. (The MW-1 (shown center) is also a good replacement to the Panda dead cat if you were to ever lose are break your Panda deadcat windscreen (shown left). On one of my most recent videos I test the Movo WS1 (shown right), but what a monster though, it looks like a Muppet. I tested the Panda mic, with the panda black blimp on top of that, with the Bestshoot MW-1 on top of that, with the Movo WS1 on top of that! It seemed to do a great job blocking wind noise but my face was buried in muppet fur and my voice sounded like it too! It was not very comfortable so I probably am not going to use the WS1 as a go to in my current helmet (Bilt Force Matte Black.) The Panda microphone and windscreens have been mounted directly inside the front mouth area shown below.
76621.jpg
76622.jpg

Next setup I want to try is mounting near the ear pad to see if that is any better but not with the WS1, it may look like a reasonable size in the picture but it's way to big in reality. I dry tested it in my office and it gave me a headache. So back to the MW-1, with Panda blimp and Panda mic. Furthermore, I am currently using this mic setup in conjunction with a GoPro Hero 4 Silver.

Lastly, there are so many factors to consider too. Such as what kind of bike you have (is it loud or quiet in general) and what kind of windshield does your bike have, what speed are you normally riding at when you are talking, what are the conditions outside, is it windy or is it calm? Is it rainy, or is it sunny out? The list goes on and on. So every setup is unique to the conditions you are presented for any given day.

I have been looking for the perfect mic setup for over 2 years now. I currently ride a 2004 Honda CBR1000 and a 2005 Honda RC51 with Satos and I live in a pretty windy city. So it's been quite a challenge. I have a double bubble windshield on the CBR1000 and I think that does help a little. But even with the nicer windshield, that wind-noise is a daily battle. I think someday I will crack the mic code though, just have to keep trying.

Last edited:

Pooley

Wannabe tractor enthusiast
Nov 19, 2019
Derbyshire
I ride a
2003 Honda Deauville 650
Is your mic mounted directly in front of your mouth or behind you cheek pad a bit, I find the latter really effective.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts