Struggling to start my bike in this cold weather..

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParisianZee

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Paris, France
www.parisianzee.com
I ride a
2011 BMW F800-R
You could also try to raise the idle rpm a bit.

I do that in the winter, raise it by about 100-150 rpm.

If you have a manual choke, use it for start up sequence and first couple of miles then cut it.

Don't let your bike idle on the stand for too long though as this will not warm up the engine evenly, which isn't good. Bike engines warm up efficiently when riding. Just keep the revs low until it's warmed up.

dexterbiker

Wannabie Member
Dec 5, 2012
London, UK
I ride a
Honda CBF 125
ParisianZee said:
You could also try to raise the idle rpm a bit.

I do that in the winter, raise it by about 100-150 rpm.

If you have a manual choke, use it for start up sequence and first couple of miles then cut it.

Don't let your bike idle on the stand for too long though as this will not warm up the engine evenly, which isn't good. Bike engines warm up efficiently when riding. Just keep the revs low until it's warmed up.

Sound asvice, i still go with stroking the seat though :D

I actually may try that in the morning....not stroking the seat but doing most of the warm up in riding

BritishMotovlogger

Wannabie Member
Dec 9, 2011
I ride a
Yamaha YBR
you could also change the sparkplug.
Even if it is not the cause of the problem it may be worth it in the long run. My local garage will replace chineese spark plugs as part of the service no matter how new the bike, as they can cause issues somewhere down the line

Cutting out just after being started up sounds normal for the winter, I have had my 600cc bandit do it on accasion when I havent let it warm up enough. Its the cutting out after 20 minutes that concerns me most.

Have you been riding through dusty conditions? If so the air filter may have got clogged up, although thats doubtful.
Again, the carbs could be clogged, but doubtful on a new bike. Both can be cleaned by spraying carb cleaner through the air box

Did you buy it brand new? If so do you know how long the dealer had it for? It is possible the fuel lines are gunged up, but again doubtful.
I would personally try replacing the spark plugs first, as they are the things that are burning the petrol. And if its been running for 20 mins before cutting out I would say its unlikely anything is blocked up. Unless you are putting something other than petrol in the bike? You havent filled it with diesil have you? :p

NastyEvilNinja

4 wheel racer, 2 wheel lunatic
Feb 18, 2012
South Birmingham, UK
I ride a
Honda VTR1000 Firestorm, Yamaha FZR600R
NastyEvilNinja said:
Just as a slight aside here, 20 minutes to warm a bike up???

When I do get chance to warm it up (or if I'm using my 'good' bike) I doubt I even give that 5 minutes! I'll normally start it on the choke and sort out jacket, helmet and gloves, if it idles when I take the choke of it's ready to go.

Leaving a bike running at tickover might cause you more damage - especially if it's on a sidestand where the top cylinders are getting less oil.

You're better off riding it but just taking it easy for a few miles.

BritishMotovlogger said:
you could also change the sparkplug.
Even if it is not the cause of the problem it may be worth it in the long run. My local garage will replace chineese spark plugs as part of the service no matter how new the bike, as they can cause issues somewhere down the line

Cutting out just after being started up sounds normal for the winter, I have had my 600cc bandit do it on accasion when I havent let it warm up enough. Its the cutting out after 20 minutes that concerns me most.

Have you been riding through dusty conditions? If so the air filter may have got clogged up, although thats doubtful.
Again, the carbs could be clogged, but doubtful on a new bike. Both can be cleaned by spraying carb cleaner through the air box

Did you buy it brand new? If so do you know how long the dealer had it for? It is possible the fuel lines are gunged up, but again doubtful.
I would personally try replacing the spark plugs first, as they are the things that are burning the petrol. And if its been running for 20 mins before cutting out I would say its unlikely anything is blocked up. Unless you are putting something other than petrol in the bike? You havent filled it with diesil have you? :p

You lose the Internetz! :p Glad to see I'm not the only one who's heard not to leave a bike chugging away to warm up, though!

My question about carbs is actually quite important in this one, as that would explain everything if you're just experiencing carb icing...

JacobG

Wannabie Member
Sep 2, 2012
FL
www.youtube.com
I ride a
07 GSXR 600
^^^ carbbed bike? clean your idle jet. Gets clogged easily. since the hole is so small. can prevent starting too.

TheDiabeticBiker

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2011
Scotland
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha MT07
Ducati Monster 600
JacobG said:
^^^ carbbed bike? clean your idle jet. Gets clogged easily. since the hole is so small. can prevent starting too.

Easy to do? Should be stripping carbs just after the new year in college so might do it then if I'm not confident enough lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts