Struggling to start my bike in this cold weather..

Status
Not open for further replies.

stayslinky

Wannabie Member
Jan 18, 2012
Cumbria, UK
www.youtube.com
I ride a
125 TMEC Enduro
Right so I woke up this morning and so Ice on the roads, "oh great".

Got my bike out, tried to started her up, finally got her started, warmed her up. but she won't stay on as soon as I go to set off it cut out.

And the other day riding back from college for 20 miles it cut out and wouldn't start.

Any tips as am currently stuck.

gpzDave

Wannabie Member
Sep 25, 2011
Fife, Scotland
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Triumph Speed Four & Honda FES125
Sorry to break the bad news friend but I think you should be grateful if the engine on a Chinese bike runs at all :lol:

In all seriousness though, sell it and buy another bike before it explodes like a tomato in a nuclear reactor.

But seriously seriously, I'd probably just try cleaning the carb out, just take it apart and spray a ton of carburettor spray cleaner (cheap on ebay) into the jets etc.

Friz

HereComeDatFriz
Jul 23, 2011
Derby UK
I ride a
2018 Ducati Multistrada 1260S
thunderous71 said:
Friz said:
How long are you giving it to warm up?

Good point In cold weather (well most times in fact) I wait for the automatic choke to start easing off (revs start to drop) before riding off.

I try to do this no matter what the weather, but in the cold it is ESPECIALLY important to make sure the bike is warm before going ;)
I can imagine it's only more important with a Chinese bike too.

Although I am usually a bit OTT when it comes to maintenance, upkeep and safety etc.

Friz

HereComeDatFriz
Jul 23, 2011
Derby UK
I ride a
2018 Ducati Multistrada 1260S
stayslinky said:
Friz said:
How long are you giving it to warm up?

About 5 minutes

My Honda needs longer than that in these cold mornings. Engine doesn't feel the same if I try to shoot off before letting it warm up fully.

stayslinky

Wannabie Member
Jan 18, 2012
Cumbria, UK
www.youtube.com
I ride a
125 TMEC Enduro
gpzDave said:
Sorry to break the bad news friend but I think you should be grateful if the engine on a Chinese bike runs at all :lol:

In all seriousness though, sell it and buy another bike before it explodes like a tomato in a nuclear reactor.

But seriously seriously, I'd probably just try cleaning the carb out, just take it apart and spray a ton of carburettor spray cleaner (cheap on ebay) into the jets etc.

It's only 2 months old, but am going to get rid of it as soon as I get my license.

NastyEvilNinja

4 wheel racer, 2 wheel lunatic
Feb 18, 2012
South Birmingham, UK
I ride a
Honda VTR1000 Firestorm, Yamaha FZR600R
Has it got carbs?

If so, try using Super Unleaded through the Winter. Instead/aswell as that, buy a bottle of Isopropyl (nice and cheap from Ebay etc) that's as pure as possible and put a few splashes of that in each tank.

I don't have the option of leaving mine to warm up, especially if I'm leaving at 7am because my exhaust is very loud and the garage acts like a big amplifier on top of a hill for all my neighbours. :cry:

Bikermole

Wannabie Member
Jan 24, 2012
Colchester, Essex
www.youtube.com
I ride a
CBR250R-ABS
I give my Honda 10 minutes to warm up, every day. And even then the temperature gauge isn't at ideal temperature.

Give it about 20 minutes to warm up. If the problem persists after that, then you know there's a real problem

NastyEvilNinja

4 wheel racer, 2 wheel lunatic
Feb 18, 2012
South Birmingham, UK
I ride a
Honda VTR1000 Firestorm, Yamaha FZR600R
Just as a slight aside here, 20 minutes to warm a bike up???

When I do get chance to warm it up (or if I'm using my 'good' bike) I doubt I even give that 5 minutes! I'll normally start it on the choke and sort out jacket, helmet and gloves, if it idles when I take the choke of it's ready to go.

Leaving a bike running at tickover might cause you more damage - especially if it's on a sidestand where the top cylinders are getting less oil.

You're better off riding it but just taking it easy for a few miles.

Grandsatsuma

Wannabie Member
Sep 8, 2012
Hertfordshire
I ride a
Pulse Adrenaline 125
do you have a manual choke? if so just keep it on for ages. Thats what I am doing. It sounds shit but it keeps it going. I ride for about 2 miles then turn it off and its fine. Saves sitting for ten mins with it running to warm up.

Also, I don't understand all the hate on Chinese bikes. They are great unless you don't look after them! I look after mine and the only problems I have had are because of me doing stupid things. Like falling off. lol

gpzDave

Wannabie Member
Sep 25, 2011
Fife, Scotland
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Triumph Speed Four & Honda FES125
I don't warm my bike up at all, even in winter, I just start it up sitting on it and ride off straight away.

I never used to do that on my other bikes, but that's what the owners manual says to do for my RS. It seems to run fine like that.

Howler

Wannabie Member
Nov 8, 2012
I ride a
CBR600F '02
warm or cold, you have to get riding to distribute the heat troughout the engine (the airflow does that for you, no airflow if you don't move), otherwise the engine will undergo thermal stress i.e. around the cylinders = very hot & further away = vey cold. in extreme cases that could crack the engine block... what i do on mine (note: fuel injection, no carbs) is start her up, roll her out on the sidewalk, close my garage, sort out my gloves, helmet & then start riding, it takes about 5mins from starting her up to reaching good temp (70°C on the dash) i don't rev her higher then 5k-ish & don't accelerate hard... actually did the same on my 50CC 2-stroke a few years ago, that one had manual choke & a carb & that worked well too

senthx

Wannabie Member
Jan 8, 2012
Bedfordshire
I ride a
BMW 650 Sertao, Honda XR 250, Suzuki VanVan
I press the start button and ride it.

Unless it's the Honda, which can take 20 minutes, a prayer, and a lot of easy start, and about 20 billion kicks of the starter to get going.

dexterbiker

Wannabie Member
Dec 5, 2012
London, UK
I ride a
Honda CBF 125
Mine did it the other day probably didnt warm it up for long enough and went to go and it cut out then couldnt get it started for 10 mins. I just go out much earlier now before i leave and get the bike going ;) let it warm up a little.

I also find stroking the seat on the bike helps a little and gently talking to it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts