So When Do You Switch....

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton + Harley Lowrider
Uh... in winter.

Although my BMW Winter Gloves are mangled. Melted them holding onto the engine block for warmth, and don't want to not use them as that's $200 wasted. They have a hole in them that lets in seemingly pure baltic wind.

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
For me it has to do with temps and not seasons,
John Baker gloves come out about 75F and above
Dragon Slayer gloves are for 60 to 74F
H-D heated gloves are for 40 to 59F
Cabella's Snowmobile gloves are for 19 to 39F

Rain cover gloves - rain except the Cabellas are waterproof already.
That's a fair collection of gloves that.

Personally I have a pair of RST short gloves that I have worn in all weather, throughout the year in Scotland I might add and neveer had any issues possibly due to heated grips and having spent a lot of my life working or being outside in all weather.

That being said I have just got a pair of Held dual something gauntlets which are now my favourite. Will try find the correct name for them.

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
For me it has to do with temps and not seasons,
John Baker gloves come out about 75F and above
Dragon Slayer gloves are for 60 to 74F
H-D heated gloves are for 40 to 59F
Cabella's Snowmobile gloves are for 19 to 39F

Rain cover gloves - rain except the Cabellas are waterproof already.
Do you carry them all with you?

I have 2 pairs, normal pair and heavy rain :p

Reactions: R-Rated

TSR

TheSurreyRider
May 3, 2018
I ride a
Harley Davidson Nightster
I think I've concluded that 12C or below for lower speed rides is winter glove weather for me, my hands get cold easily!

Reactions: HippoDrone

humes

Colorado Motovlogger
May 17, 2020
Denver, CO
www.instagram.com
I ride a
2012 Ducati Monster 696
I rode through the winter and anything below 50 degrees F required my heavier winter gloves. Anything below 35 degrees required my liners + heavier winter gloves to be tolerable. I never pulled the trigger on gloves with built-in warmers or grips w/ warmers, so no clue there. My hands were always the first to get cold during winter rides.

As for summer, I have two types of gloves with the first being great 50-75 and the second being my best option for 75+. I almost always gear up for the weather of the day since Colorado is so variant. The trickier one is when to take my jacket liner out -- seems anything above 60 is fine there.

City Bob

Immature Amateur
Jun 30, 2020
London, UK
I ride a
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
This is England... All you can do is play it by ear! One day is 30° next day it's get and 8°! Then, back to hot! So I take the gloves based on forecast, which can also be a mistake!

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
This is England... All you can do is play it by ear! One day is 30° next day it's get and 8°! Then, back to hot! So I take the gloves based on forecast, which can also be a mistake!
Hahaha, very valid point! :D
I do dislike wearing winter gloves though, so it is nice once we get to a point where mostly warm enough for the summer ones! :D

Reactions: City Bob

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
I do dislike wearing winter gloves though, so it is nice once we get to a point where mostly warm enough for the summer ones! :D

That is why i installed the mittens last year. Might look weird, but nice and warm, easy to use, and i can ride the whole winter with my summergloves :)

City Bob

Immature Amateur
Jun 30, 2020
London, UK
I ride a
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
That is why i installed the mittens last year. Might look weird, but nice and warm, easy to use, and i can ride the whole winter with my summergloves :)

That'll be a pass for the Spring ST! Lol

Anyone take multiple gloves when they go on a tour?

ACW Moto

Wannabie Member
Jul 5, 2020
I ride a
02 Yahama V-Star 1100 custom
I might get some criticism over this but I only ware them when it's cold out.

• Haha

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
That'll be a pass for the Spring ST! Lol

Anyone take multiple gloves when they go on a tour?
Yup, I also normally take 3 pairs of gloves with me when green laning in winter: warm winter pair for ride there, MX gloves for laning, then fresh dry warm winter gloves for the ride home! :)

Reactions: City Bob

Pooley

Wannabe tractor enthusiast
Nov 19, 2019
Derbyshire
I ride a
2003 Honda Deauville 650
I've never bothered with winter gloves, always used summer gloves year round. I remember commuting in the city during my learner days and holding onto the exhaust for warmth haha

Had heated grips on the last few bikes though, and the Deauville has enough wind deflection to keep most of the cold off me anyway now :)

City Bob

Immature Amateur
Jun 30, 2020
London, UK
I ride a
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
I wish the Oxford control box wasn't do ugly! Why can't they make it smaller or built the controls into the grips themselves?

Reactions: Pooley

motosera

Weirdo, mosher, freak
Jun 4, 2020
Cambridgeshire UK
www.motosera.com
I ride a
Honda CBR1100XX and Buel XB9R Custom
I have a set of Alpinestars 365's which I tend to use most of the year unless it's extremely cold (<5deg C) or hot (>20deg C).

Really I just tend to go with looking out of the window and making a guess! I used to have some Gerbing heated gloved which were wonderful in the winter, because they were heated they didn't need to be so thick, and so toasty warm too! Now I use Held ones, can't remember which model, but they are also warm enough down to freezing on long rides. Much colder and it's heated grips time!

In the summer I have some Held perforated gloves which are joyful to ride in when it's really warm.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts