Should You Start On A 600cc? Wrong Question

F4celess

Cold
Dec 20, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer
Here in the UK you cant ride a 600 legally, UNLESS you obtain your "full motorcycle license" (plus are old enough to do so).

There are lesser licenses, such as CBT (entitlement to ride upto 125cc), also A2 license (limited cc) for younger riders. Are you aware of the Bike license laws in the UK?

PLUS, the bike I talk about, I actually bought off a work colleague, following general chat about bikes - I bought it because it was going cheap, due to being a non-runner at that time. It was going to be a bit of a project at first, but in acquiring it, I obviously wanted to be able to ride it further down the line - hence I went down the route of the lessons and tests to obtain full license.

Does that make more sense to you now? So infact I ended up owning this 600cc bike, even before deciding to go down the route of lessons/bike tests.

ALSO in the UK your take loads of lessons, plus the tests, on a bike around the 600cc size anyway - it's mandatory - so by then, you have MANY hours experience under expect tuition, riding around on a 600cc bike, or there abouts.

Yes, this is common for all of EU and countries with trade agreements. Which is why we share the A1 (CBT), A2 and A classes. I have the A license. Got 200+km of road experience on a 650 with an instructor before they even let me take the test.

This thread is a discussion on how smart it is to start on a 600cc for an American who could potentially not have much experience or guidance on riding. The rest of the world is obviously smart enough to demand some training and tests before they let you ride them.

DanielJ

Wannabie Member
Sep 5, 2016
I ride a
Ninja ZX6R.

This thread is a discussion on how smart it is to start on a 600cc for an American who could potentially not have much experience or guidance on riding. The rest of the world is obviously smart enough to demand some training and tests before they let you ride them.

So there's members posting from a handful of NON-American countries already, stating their experiences.

However you pickup on my Post and correct me to the fact this is a discussion on "American" experiences? Even though you responded positively to these other recipients (outside of the fabulous USA)?

Having a bad day or something? Not to worry, I've requested all my Posts here are deleted, as not to irritate anyone else.....

F4celess

Cold
Dec 20, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer
So there's members posting from a handful of NON-American countries already, stating their experiences.

However you pickup on my Post and correct me to the fact this is a discussion on "American" experiences? Even though you responded positively to these other recipients (outside of the fabulous USA)?

Having a bad day or something? Not to worry, I've requested all my Posts here are deleted, as not to irritate anyone else.....

I had no idea I came off as irritated or anything. I intended to highlight the fact that we as europeans can start with anything we want. And that its important for americans to get lessons even if they can get away with not doing so.

I'll stop posting in this thread now, if I can't communicate properly I won't communicate at all.

dandoolittle

Site owner, lovely and adorable
Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K7 track/race bike
Kawasaki ZX6R 98 race bike
MiniMotos
Now now lads. I think some cross wires have been well, crossed.

I think, some will shoot me down, the UK/Euro laws about limiting bike riding is actually pretty bang on in my opinion

JoshAFJ

Because Motorcycle
Sep 21, 2016
Cincinnati, OH
I ride a
07 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
Man and in the US all you have to do is pass a written test, get your temps and you can ride whatever you want....no wonder people get hurt on bikes.

I think the European way is a lot safer.

BlakShadow

The Masshole
Sep 26, 2016
Massachusetts
I ride a
Honda Shadow ACE 1100
I think, some will shoot me down, the UK/Euro laws about limiting bike riding is actually pretty bang on in my opinion

I disagree, but there's a HUGE difference between a modern 600 supersport and the 650cc UJM from the 1980s that I learned to ride. Also, I don't think cruisers are as popular across the pond as in the States, but large displacement cruisers are often still pretty slow compared to other types of bikes with similar displacement. In fact I think the main reason displacement-based licensing will never come to the US is because Harley would fight it. A 600cc limit would rule out every bike they make, even the Sportster.

dandoolittle

Site owner, lovely and adorable
Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K7 track/race bike
Kawasaki ZX6R 98 race bike
MiniMotos
I disagree, but there's a HUGE difference between a modern 600 supersport and the 650cc UJM from the 1980s that I learned to ride. Also, I don't think cruisers are as popular across the pond as in the States, but large displacement cruisers are often still pretty slow compared to other types of bikes with similar displacement. In fact I think the main reason displacement-based licensing will never come to the US is because Harley would fight it. A 600cc limit would rule out every bike they make, even the Sportster.

A 19-year-old with no road experience should not be allowed to ride a 115HP super sports bike, or a cruiser with loads of torque etc. That's why the UK, and euro countries limit the HP and size a rider, can well, ride.

The aim of the game is to reduce deaths...Which is does and its proven.

I don't know the bike laws in the USA but for them to ask a rider just to take a written test, then give them a set of keys is stupid without at least a road test! It's absurd in my opinion and offensive to the general public who at any time, be taken out by a new rider who's actually legal because they're answered a few tick boxes.

Its actually crazy

BlakShadow

The Masshole
Sep 26, 2016
Massachusetts
I ride a
Honda Shadow ACE 1100
At least here in Massachusetts, both a written and road test is required. The far far better way to get licensed is to take the MSF course, which literally teaches you how to ride. It in no way prepares you to ride a 600 supersport - in fact it lulls you into a false sense of security, because the 125s and 250s you learn on (you use their bikes whether you have your own or not) are so easy to ride.

I guess I agree with you in theory, that a stupid fast bike is a stupid first bike. I also don't think such laws will ever get passed here, because 'Murica, freedom, and such.

Scootnfool

Scooter vlogger extraordinaire
Oct 13, 2016
Lancaster, PA
I ride a
Honda PCX150
It's funny how people all seem to think it's inevitable that riders will grow out of a smaller bike. For a lot of people that might be so, and maybe I'm just an oddball, but heya. I started on a 50, which I don't recommend because nobody respects 50cc scooters. I did trade up to a 150, not because I hated the 50 or felt limited by it, but simply because other motorists made it an unsafe option.

After a while I bought a VF750S, but I kept my 150cc Kymco. The Honda was too big (physical dimensions, not displacement), and not as much fun to ride. Add a pinched spinal nerve to the mix and it was back to the scooter I went.

When my Kymco started to show its age and it was time to get another bike, it was replaced with another 150. I think it comes down to what people like. Personally, I need no phallus enlarger to prove my manliness. I'll drive around in a clown car all day and have a blast.

Sure, I get a kick out of performance vehicles as much as the next guy, but I don't feel like I need to prove anything to anybody.

MotoMisc

Move along, nothing to see here!
Sep 16, 2016
I ride a
Cbr 954, cbr f4 stuntbike, fiddy =)
It's funny how people all seem to think it's inevitable that riders will grow out of a smaller bike. For a lot of people that might be so, and maybe I'm just an oddball, but heya. I started on a 50, which I don't recommend because nobody respects 50cc scooters. I did trade up to a 150, not because I hated the 50 or felt limited by it, but simply because other motorists made it an unsafe option.

After a while I bought a VF750S, but I kept my 150cc Kymco. The Honda was too big (physical dimensions, not displacement), and not as much fun to ride. Add a pinched spinal nerve to the mix and it was back to the scooter I went.

When my Kymco started to show its age and it was time to get another bike, it was replaced with another 150. I think it comes down to what people like. Personally, I need no phallus enlarger to prove my manliness. I'll drive around in a clown car all day and have a blast.

Sure, I get a kick out of performance vehicles as much as the next guy, but I don't feel like I need to prove anything to anybody.

Don't think it's about proving something to anybody...
Sportbike wise the lower size engine feels slow after riding a bigger engine bike.
Same goes for sport cars etc.. Modding the engine to have 400hp cause "you never need more...." after 6months that 400hp feels slow and lazy and you want more =) simple as that.

whingnut

Squidbilly
Jul 29, 2016
Virginia beach VA
I ride a
2008 KLR 650 modified for TAT
a lot of states now require you to do a road test and a written test to get your motorcycle endorsement. my first endorsement was an additional 10 question test for $5 when i was 14. i'm glad we are getting better at making sure ppl know how to ride. but i think we can still do better our motorcycle laws are loose and not consistent from state to state. i cut my teeth on a1978 honda cb125 i'm 6'3" and around 260lbs. i looked like Magilla gorrilla on it and my 82' 750 magna. but i learned a lot riding the smaller bikes and working up to my R3T. https://www.google.com/search?q=cb1...AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=magilla+gorilla+motorcycle

2WL

Dan & lurch are inspiring
Dec 17, 2016
South West
I ride a
Suzuki GSR750
600cc super sport, no, 650cc twin like an SV650 or er6n then yeah, as long as your sensible you'll be ok.

The problem with the 600cc supersports is they need to be rev'd to shit and aren't forgiving at all if you remotely fuck up

2WL

Dan & lurch are inspiring
Dec 17, 2016
South West
I ride a
Suzuki GSR750
not the first first bike, but first big bike, if your sensible enough and know the basics shouldn't be a problem :)

DFG

Dat Foreign Guy
Dec 26, 2016
North Carolina
I ride a
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa
I've personally always found that question to be stupid. You should get what you like. I liked the Hayabusa, so I started off on the Hayabusa.

Bike will only go as fast as you let it regardless which motorcycle you get.

AdydasNZ

Wannabie Member
Dec 23, 2016
Northland New Zealand
I ride a
Yamaha R1 2004
Laws here basically require us to start on a limited bike such as 250 (you can get on a street triple or Honda 500CC but thats top of the pops and $$$$$) so i did my time on the 250cc for around 15,000kms and sold it and upgraded.

What i will say is - Yes 250CC SUCKS when your mates are off like a shot

BUT

The craft i have learnt from my time on the 250 has paid me back so much, i am a much quicker and confider rider due in part to my time earning my bigger bike.

I did a ride with a guy on a 899 Ducati two days ago, he was foreign so his "full" licence just copyd over here - long story short he was AWFUL, over shot corners, couldn't / didn't lean the bike at all, clearly nervous and full of excuses that he needs to ride more...

My opinion - start with the cheapest nastiest (safe) 250/300 you can find.. try go get 7,000kms under a belt (@ 1000km a month its half a year were talking here) sell the cheap, used, second hand bike and basically get your money back then upgrade and get your dream bike.

DFG

Dat Foreign Guy
Dec 26, 2016
North Carolina
I ride a
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa
A 19-year-old with no road experience should not be allowed to ride a 115HP super sports bike, or a cruiser with loads of torque etc. That's why the UK, and euro countries limit the HP and size a rider, can well, ride.

The aim of the game is to reduce deaths...Which is does and its proven.

I don't know the bike laws in the USA but for them to ask a rider just to take a written test, then give them a set of keys is stupid without at least a road test! It's absurd in my opinion and offensive to the general public who at any time, be taken out by a new rider who's actually legal because they're answered a few tick boxes.

Its actually crazy

They way it works in North Carolina is like this, if you're 18 or older you can walk into the DMV office and take a 25 question test, if you pass you get a motorcycle permit. With the permit you can ride a motorcycle legally, no experience required. The only restriction is that you cannot have a passenger. You can have the permit for a year and a half at which time you have to take the riding test. But even that is stupid and a tone can do it.

It's stupid because they are all about money and do not care about a persons wellbeing whatsoever.

burlyjack

The bearded dude with a cool YouTube
Oct 10, 2015
Oklahoma, USA
I ride a
2004 Honda VTX 1300
I don't know much about sports bikes but it doesn't take much to see they're completely different than cruisers. Just keep in mind that my opinion is based on what I see where I live, which is mostly cruisers. Sports bikes aren't as popular here. I don't agree with more strict regulations. In Oklahoma you have to take a written test to get a permit, which allows you to ride with a licensed rider over 21 within viewing distance. Then after 6 months you can take your riding exam and get all restrictions lifted. There is more to it but if you really want to know just look it up. I started on an 1100 Shadow and it still was very underpowered for me. However, handling was great for learning and I'm very happy I started off with that. Ive since upgraded to a 1300 VTX. There is no way I would have been comfortable on a 500 let alone a 250. What works for other countries won't work for the US. I usually tell people just go to the dealership, sit on a few bikes, get a good feel for weight, balance, bar height etc. Make sure both feet can be placed firmly on the ground and the bars are at a comfortable position. And finally, research, research, research. All the information is out there and most the dealerships here will have a discount if you sign up for the MSF course. If you make a dumb decision you suffer the consequences. We are all grown adults capable of making our own decisions.

Superballs

Superballs' Supervids
Jul 16, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
I ride a
1999 VFR800Fi
I think a lot of people don't realize that engine configuration makes a lot of difference.
Most 650s are going to be twins, and rather tame by comparison to a 600 inline 4 supersport.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts