Which Bike

We Need Vloggers!
Aug 24, 2018
Surrey, UK
WhichBike.com
I ride a
All of them!
Nice one.
I have dropped a few helmets from my hand or bike but cant believe they would be that weakened in general.
I am sure I have read that this is mostly a myth.

The exceptions are if your head was in it or it was a proper crash where the speed of impact will be a lot higher. Also, if you dropped it onto a diamond (ha) then something that sharp might cause a small crack.

I have always bought high-rated helmets so one would hope they are fine.
Case in point, I went from 40+ to Zero into the back of a stationary car face first and only had a nosebleed (rest of the body was a bit fkedthough) and I have to assume that the helment saved my life and I used to drop the buggery out of it.

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
It is important to understand, how the helmet works, in the first place. If there is nothing (heavy) in the helmet, when it falls down, from a bike, it will not damage the foam, which actually protects your head, slowing it down, during impact.
I believe, if an empty helmet falls, and there is no damage (besides scrapes) to the outer shell, the foam is not affected. If you have something in the helmet, when it drops, you should take the padding out and inspect the foam, for any compression.

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
I can’t really remember dropping a helmet.
That said 3-4 years is the max I’ll keep one just due to the smell factor alone.

I also could buy a new helmet every other week if I had the funds to do so. I’d just love to have a bunch of them for different occasions.

Dirty Deez

Wannabie Member
Oct 13, 2018
I ride a
'07 HD Fat Boy
I recall seeing a helmet with all the % of damage that area of the helmet takes in a typical crash. The highest % was in the chin area at 19%. Here in the US though there are lots of half helmet or "pudding bowl" helmet riders. How about over there?

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Due to the weather in the UK open face helmets are less common, I have one but don't use it often.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts