Recording Multiple Videos on One Ride? / To Plan or Not Plan?

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Anyone else do this? Combine 2 or more topics into one ride, with the plan to split them out into separate videos in the editor?

I taped some notes to my gas tank (thanks for the tip y'all) before a recent ride, and ended up recording 5 topics, with intros, outros, and content ... all on that one ride! I've done rough cuts of the individual videos now, and only one fell short of what I want, so I probably won't post it, but the others all turned out pretty good.

On a side note, I was able to do each one in 1 take, rather than the usual 2-3 takes. I suck at speaking into a camera, but was really in the groove on this ride :D

On another topic, do y'all just kind of go on a ride and talk to the camera, or do you plan out your ride with what you want to talk about? I've done both, and I seem to suck at talking at the camera on my rides if I don't at least outline what I want to chat about. Those videos where I don't plan would probably make for a better music video than a vlog LOL.

-John

Reactions: R-Rated

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I record multiple motovlogs per ride all the time! I'll either pick a direction or just ride around haphazardly while I talk about the topics I have in mind for the motovlogs. When I get home I edit them all up from the collective footage I've recorded. I don't plan much ahead on what I'll say or such, I just talk off the cuff and see what comes out!

I did the majority of my videos this way. I'd film multiple vids one day every other week or so and then spend the days in between riding for fun without the cameras.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I record multiple motovlogs per ride all the time! I'll either pick a direction or just ride around haphazardly while I talk about the topics I have in mind for the motovlogs. When I get home I edit them all up from the collective footage I've recorded. I don't plan much ahead on what I'll say or such, I just talk off the cuff and see what comes out!

I did the majority of my videos this way. I'd film multiple vids one day every other week or so and then spend the days in between riding for fun without the cameras.

Man, that's awesome! I can't seem to gear up without adding the cameras. On the off-chance I DO go out for a ride without my cameras, I end up having something really good to say - but couldn't record it! Or, something interesting happens.

Now I'm just recording all my rides, and if I don't have a subject in mind, I'll delete the footage when I get home.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one trying to get multiple videos out of one ride.

-John

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Occasionally I'll do a couple of recordings on a single ride, but very rarely will they both be planned. I've only ever scripted/had notes on one video I've made. I'm not very natural when I script, so find it a lot easier to wing it otherwise it all sounds a bit false. I also like to keep my videos kind of current, (ok covid is not making that easy in the UK with lockdowns etc) but I am only putting out one video a week so it is a lot easier to record and edit in a day while it is all fresh. Very rarely will I have videos banked for more than a month unless it is a timeless subject.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
To clarify: as far as scripting goes - if I write a whole script, I'll love it ... until I press record. Then it SUCKS! If I just jot down some bullet points to keep the topic flowing or to make sure I cover all the things I want to, then it works out much better.

As I continue to practice, I am getting much better at keeping my train of thought from derailing :D

I just wondered what others are doing :D

-John

Dewey316

Dewey|Rides
Oct 1, 2020
I ride a
BWM F800gs / DR650 / Honda CM450E
This explains why I can't even imagine putting out the amount of videos some of you can. I just turn the gopro's on while I'm out having fun riding, and I try to turn whatever I get into something. Really most of the time, I go riding for a day, and only record an hour worth of footage, the rest of the time I just ride and enjoy it.

I wish I could come across as well spoken as most of you do, that is the one thing I am working on, is having some kind of an idea of a topic I might talk about, so I the talking comes across a bit more polished.

Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
This explains why I can't even imagine putting out the amount of videos some of you can. I just turn the gopro's on while I'm out having fun riding, and I try to turn whatever I get into something. Really most of the time, I go riding for a day, and only record an hour worth of footage, the rest of the time I just ride and enjoy it.

I wish I could come across as well spoken as most of you do, that is the one thing I am working on, is having some kind of an idea of a topic I might talk about, so I the talking comes across a bit more polished.

Then you're going to want to watch my upcoming videos on how to film a moto vlog! ;)

Just kidding... although you might pick up some tricks, I dunno. It's still a work in progress ... basically videos I wish existed when I started out and would've saved me time!

In the end, you just need practice. I know you're not referring to me as well-spoken - I can barely put a few words together before an edit - but I'm practicing what I preach ... practicing! You gotta get comfortable in front of a camera and just let the prose flow!

It's hard for me to watch some of my earlier stuff ... I'm really practicing a lot and getting better (I think) very quickly, so that's the best advice I can give.

Also, there are threads on this forum that'll help - stuff like planning a route/ride/topic and taping notes to your tank - big helpers if you're not used to doing this regularly.

LIke I said earlier, if I'm not recording, the best ideas pop into my head, so I'll just go for a ride with the camera on and see what happens... sometimes it's worth posting, oftentimes it's not.

-John

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a

I'll be honest, the simple act of recording videos and editing them together has been a great learning experience for me. I've learned a LOT about how I talk and what I can improve about my speech since doing this. Plus the more videos you record the more comfortable it becomes.

As the saying goes: "practice makes perfect."

Dewey316

Dewey|Rides
Oct 1, 2020
I ride a
BWM F800gs / DR650 / Honda CM450E
I'll be honest, the simple act of recording videos and editing them together has been a great learning experience for me. I've learned a LOT about how I talk and what I can improve about my speech since doing this. Plus the more videos you record the more comfortable it becomes.

Absolutely, I edited a vlog last night, and it was far and away the best speaking I have done in any of them.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a

My wife always rebuts this with, "No. Practice makes PERMANENT!" ... who is to know who is right?

-John

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
I have done multiple scenarios.

So i have been riding outside with the full intent to make 2 different vlogs. Either back to back recorded, or mixing it a bit, depending on background, location etc.

I have also filmed with the idea of 1 vlog, but it ended up on the editing table into 2 vlogs.
Most of the time it has to do with both the lenght of the video and the fact i was talking about 2 or more subjects. So it can be splitted without feeling it was splitted.

I also have done vlogs were i was filming b-roll or riding to spots for review's etc.
So filming 1 vlog, but getting extra content for a later video.

WaltInPA

Wannabie Member
Jun 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
www.waltinpa.com
I ride a
2018 Honda CB650F
It is unusual if I only record one video while out riding. One thing that I've learned about myself since I started vlogging is that despite being very quiet in person - I've got the gift of gab when it comes to talking to myself. I can talk the battery dead in a GoPro like you wouldn't believe (and sometimes I can even cobble it together into something worth posting )

I like to have at least one topic in mind when I hop on the bike. On the rare occasion that I make notes, I usually have them on my phone and skim then before I set out. I've never done anything fully scripted. Primarily because I'm sure it will come across weird or over-rehearsed.

After recording, if I have time but I feel like I'm out of ideas - my standby is to just start talking about someone else's videos. It is a win-win, it helps promote other channels and it usually gets the juices flowing and sparks an idea for something else to talk about.

The most I've ever done in a single ride was 13 videos.
Yes, that is a lot of footage (5 GoPro Batteries and 4 Osmo Batteries) and by the time I was done editing it all I was so glad to be done.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Wow, 13 videos? I can't even begin to compare with that! I've got some footage from March that'll make 3 to 5 good-length videos [content yet to be determined - LOL] out of 2.5hrs of footage.

I went on a ride today after work where I recorded all 3+ hours of footage, and plan to break it into segments, either with a "previously on" or just a link to the previous video as the intro, and a "stay tuned for Part X" at the end. I didn't film specific intros and outros for each video though, so depending on how long the rough cut of the whole magilla is... will determine how I break and cut it into a finished ride video.

As the OP for this thread, I will tell you that 3 videos made it to YT out of the 5 recorded that first day. The other two were just rubbish and went in the bin.

I am half curious how this most recent footage went, because it was basically a torture test of my replacement Hero 9 that I just got.

-John

WaltInPA

Wannabie Member
Jun 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
www.waltinpa.com
I ride a
2018 Honda CB650F
I went the "Previously On...." route and started each video with about a minute of highlights so that if you started in the middle of the series you weren't completely lost.

That was the most time consuming part - going back and picking out sections from the previous video to use at the start of the latest video.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Yeah, I bet that IS time-consuming! Hopefully I can get something cobbled together from it ;)

FWIW, I am scrubbing through the footage from my recent ride and ... well, I guess I didn't have the mic plugged in all the way [Hero 9 w/Media Mod] for a 1-hour segment of the ride... oops. Got a lot of wind noise, not a lot of my voice. There are 3 segments in total, so this is the middle of the ride, and I don't think much happened on that part. What's left may just be a music video LOL.

-John

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
The most I've ever done in a single ride was 13 videos.

Yeah, that would be your long multi-part ride to the Kutztown covered bridge you did, right? :p

The most I've filmed in one ride is 4 videos. Normally I won't film more than two in a single ride.

Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Thanks to Walt & Mengy... Walt, for inadvertently finding what Walt was talking about, and Walt for giving me some ideas to put this series together. It's in a rough cut status right now, 50m long. Now it's time to edit out the fluff and see what I'm working with.

It'll test my mettle, as it were, to put this all together, but I thank you guys again for your assistance - hopefully it turns out watchable :D

-John

whingnut

Squidbilly
Jul 29, 2016
Virginia beach VA
I ride a
2008 KLR 650 modified for TAT
Well like a lot of folks here i have done multiple vids on one ride. in fact I've been doing a vlog which got me thinking about something else and once i wrapped up the first one started the second one. i just go with the flow. my commute is 30-45mins each way so i just talk and vent and have fun with it. Its my therapy.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts