Recording Multiple Videos on One Ride? / To Plan or Not Plan?

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I wish I could do that... if I don't talk about what is on my mind exactly when it's on my mind, I forget later on in the ride, so what could be 3-5 vlogs becomes one scatterbrained mess :D

It's something I'm working on, but I actually got some good feedback on my Scatterbrained video, specifically for its multiple topics and well, it's scatterbrained-ness.

-John

Reactions: whingnut

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I have a list of ideas in the idea bank but never plan exactly when to do a motovlog, if I'm out riding and bored then I may just blast one out.

There's a progression I'm seeing, at least in myself - and maybe other people will chime in with their experience - but here goes:

I started out and struggled to get 6-10m long videos out of my rides. Then, I tried scripting [epic fail], bringing notes taped to my tank [worked better], trying to take notes of ideas to record my thoughts on [sometimes worked] and now I just ride and talk about whatever's in my head. Now I struggle to keep my videos under 15-20m in length, so I end up cutting entire topics that I didn't really like.

I think most of the spontaneous-topic vids turn out better, more funny, more engaging. Being able to interact with my surroundings and respond to them, just works better for the style of video I like producing.

Anyone else feel like this, or have a similar experience?

-John

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
There's a progression I'm seeing, at least in myself - and maybe other people will chime in with their experience - but here goes:

I started out and struggled to get 6-10m long videos out of my rides. Then, I tried scripting [epic fail], bringing notes taped to my tank [worked better], trying to take notes of ideas to record my thoughts on [sometimes worked] and now I just ride and talk about whatever's in my head. Now I struggle to keep my videos under 15-20m in length, so I end up cutting entire topics that I didn't really like.

I think most of the spontaneous-topic vids turn out better, more funny, more engaging. Being able to interact with my surroundings and respond to them, just works better for the style of video I like producing.

Anyone else feel like this, or have a similar experience?

-John
Mine are always unscripted and unprepared, I could be in the middle of traffic and start cursing at a driver in the middle of the motovlog. LOL.

Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Mine are always unscripted and unprepared, I could be in the middle of traffic and start cursing at a driver in the middle of the motovlog. LOL.

Those are the best moments! Which reminds me, I need to put a scene back into a video I'm working on :D

So, you just record all your rides and keep what looks the best or seems the most engaging?

-John

Reactions: SighBored

Riderguide

Neil - The Rider Guider
Feb 24, 2019
South Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha Tenere 700 T7
What I like is getting some awesome content by pure luck, then like today getting home and finding there was a reason I didn't quite hear the camera start ... forgot to re install the micro SD :D #DOH #amateur

• Wow

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Those are the best moments! Which reminds me, I need to put a scene back into a video I'm working on :D

So, you just record all your rides and keep what looks the best or seems the most engaging?

-John
I usually just record whenever I'm on the bike, mostly just in case anything should happen, it will serve as some evidence or such. However since I don't carry extra batteries, for longer rides I will be selective of when to start/stop.

I tend to go through the footage briefly when I get home, and rename the files with timestamp if there's anything worth saving, and delete the rest. Best to do this as soon as you are home, so whatever happened earlier is still fresh in your mind (you know where to look for the footage quickly) so that it is marked and stored. When it's time to edit at a much later date, you won't have to waste a lot of time scrolling thru trying to find the part or even trying to remember why the heck you have that file saved in the first place.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I usually just record whenever I'm on the bike, mostly just in case anything should happen, it will serve as some evidence or such. However since I don't carry extra batteries, for longer rides I will be selective of when to start/stop.

I tend to go through the footage briefly when I get home, and rename the files with timestamp if there's anything worth saving, and delete the rest. Best to do this as soon as you are home, so whatever happened earlier is still fresh in your mind (you know where to look for the footage quickly) so that it is marked and stored. When it's time to edit at a much later date, you won't have to waste a lot of time scrolling thru trying to find the part or even trying to remember why the heck you have that file saved in the first place.

Great points! I also record all my rides for "dash cam" footage at worst, published vid at best. I have a habit of spending about 1 hour getting the footage into a "rough cut" later in the day. At that point, I've picked out the best moments of the ride - the stuff I think will be in the final edit. Then, it can be weeks or months before I do the final edit, but the basics are there.

All that said, I do have 2 projects in my editor right now that are 3+ hours long, and neither one is rough cut or anything. Oops. For each one, though, I have all the footage from the 3 cameras, and they're all set up as multicam clips, so I can play through with all 3 streams running and do it later - there's almost nothing they've missed between them.

-John

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Great points! I also record all my rides for "dash cam" footage at worst, published vid at best. I have a habit of spending about 1 hour getting the footage into a "rough cut" later in the day. At that point, I've picked out the best moments of the ride - the stuff I think will be in the final edit. Then, it can be weeks or months before I do the final edit, but the basics are there.

All that said, I do have 2 projects in my editor right now that are 3+ hours long, and neither one is rough cut or anything. Oops. For each one, though, I have all the footage from the 3 cameras, and they're all set up as multicam clips, so I can play through with all 3 streams running and do it later - there's almost nothing they've missed between them.

-John
Wow that sounds like a lot to do but for a weekend ride (with group) I think that's a bit normal to sort through them.

For the "daily" or "dashcam" ones I don't do rough cuts or pre-edits (like crop the bits and save them), I just rename the original file with timestamp and a brief description and store it on the computer so my cam's SD card is clean. This takes maybe 10-15mins and if there's nothing at all to save, I just delete the files immediately. Those will end up in some compilation much later on.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Wow that sounds like a lot to do but for a weekend ride (with group) I think that's a bit normal to sort through them.

For the "daily" or "dashcam" ones I don't do rough cuts or pre-edits (like crop the bits and save them), I just rename the original file with timestamp and a brief description and store it on the computer so my cam's SD card is clean. This takes maybe 10-15mins and if there's nothing at all to save, I just delete the files immediately. Those will end up in some compilation much later on.

It is... I spend way too much time working on videos LOL.

For a 3-cam setup, the rough cut can be ... rough, but on shorter rides with 2 cams, it's pretty easy now, and I blast through it. Since the ride is still fresh, I remember certain corners I hit well, or intersections I want to show 360 footage [if I had the Max with me], and other interesting bits. I think my record is 20m to rough cut a 1.5 hour ride. It was a vlog with no 360 footage, so I just kept the talking bits. The results were pretty good and did well once published [well, pretty good for me, at least].

-John

Reactions: SighBored

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts