Phone & Camera Combination.

OCD_Biker

@theanxiousbiker
Apr 29, 2021
I ride a
Yamaha MT-09
So as per my reply on my battery swap over thread.

Today's attempt was unsuccessful. When recording audio separately to video. How many layers of wind protection do you use?

I had my external audio recording in a tail bag, with a foam wind muff over the mic, then wrapped in a microfibre towel, for extra wind reduction and stop it moving around. Gain was also set to 4 on my app and I still got terrible wind noise.

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
Gain and deadcat (or wrapping mic in to a cloth) will not eliminate wind noise from where wind noise is present anyway. If the bag causes turbulence, it will make the sound worse. I suppose you were trying to record the exhaust sound, not yourself.
Try a very small backpack next. Or even just the mic open on your back.
Gain settings will help, if the overall sound level is too high or too low. In another words, helps to adjust against microphones error, like peaking.

Reactions: Drakhen99

OCD_Biker

@theanxiousbiker
Apr 29, 2021
I ride a
Yamaha MT-09
Gain and deadcat (or wrapping mic in to a cloth) will not eliminate wind noise from where wind noise is present anyway. If the bag causes turbulence, it will make the sound worse. I suppose you were trying to record the exhaust sound, not yourself.
Try a very small backpack next. Or even just the mic open on your back.
Gain settings will help, if the overall sound level is too high or too low. In another words, helps to adjust against microphones error, like peaking.

Ah, could be the turbulence then, with the combination of insufficient wind protection then.
As the tail bag isn't very aero dynamic.

I will try it with mobile device in my pocket and mic on my back next time.

Cheers
Dan

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
For my helmet mic, I use a furry dead cat [I was using a foam one up until recently] and a carboard-wrapped-in-gaffer's-tape shield in front of the mic. Does almost nothing for stiff crosswinds, however, even behind the fairing of my Street Glide. It's also on a half helmet, for what that's worth.

-John

OCD_Biker

@theanxiousbiker
Apr 29, 2021
I ride a
Yamaha MT-09
Sorry for the incoming noob question (again :rolleyes:)

Was thinking about my next audio test and using open mic on my back as mentioned. However before I try this, is it a case of mic clipped/tapped to outer jacket or inside the jacket on my back?

Sorry if this one has an obvious answer.

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
I have it taped on to the rear plate of my chesty, outer side, and wire attached to the belts, over mu choulder all the way to pockets. I also covered the mic with one layer of woolen cloth, for the lack of a better deadcat. I use phones oem headset mic for that.

OCD_Biker

@theanxiousbiker
Apr 29, 2021
I ride a
Yamaha MT-09
Cool, I will try something similar next time I am out on the bike.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I did almost this exact test and posted a video on my channel where I tested it on 3 bikes - Kawasaki KZ, Kawasaki Vulcan 800, and Harley Street Glide. The mic was clipped to my t-shirt in front though.

The video is called "How to Set Up Gear for Moto Vlogging".

The reason I bring this up is that when I went from my summer mesh jacket, with no liner, to my winter jacket, with liner, the audio got muffled and became unusable.

The 10 resulting audio tests are covered in my video, "Getting Great Audio with a Half Helmet", which was posted about a month later.

All this to say that each bike and rider is going to have different experiences with mic placement. I saw a video recently wherein the rider put a mic in the storage area [where the toolkit was], wrapped in a towel, to get engine noise. It was some kind of sport bike, I forget which at the moment.

-John

Reactions: Theodor

OCD_Biker

@theanxiousbiker
Apr 29, 2021
I ride a
Yamaha MT-09
I did almost this exact test and posted a video on my channel where I tested it on 3 bikes - Kawasaki KZ, Kawasaki Vulcan 800, and Harley Street Glide. The mic was clipped to my t-shirt in front though.

The video is called "How to Set Up Gear for Moto Vlogging".

The reason I bring this up is that when I went from my summer mesh jacket, with no liner, to my winter jacket, with liner, the audio got muffled and became unusable.

The 10 resulting audio tests are covered in my video, "Getting Great Audio with a Half Helmet", which was posted about a month later.

All this to say that each bike and rider is going to have different experiences with mic placement. I saw a video recently wherein the rider put a mic in the storage area [where the toolkit was], wrapped in a towel, to get engine noise. It was some kind of sport bike, I forget which at the moment.

-John

Cheers I will check these vids out.

Yes I was going to try the under seat storage yesterday. However the available space on the MT09 is dismal, my phone is larger than available space, so that idea is out.

• Wow
Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Wow, that IS dismal - I couldn't imagine that. Of course, my Vulcan 800 has zero storage, there's no room anywhere on that bike to store anything, and it's worse since I bobbed it.

-John

Reactions: OCD_Biker

OCD_Biker

@theanxiousbiker
Apr 29, 2021
I ride a
Yamaha MT-09
Hero2 is awesome, you can directly plug in an external microphone to it, no BS adapters needed.

hmmm my Go Pro must be the original Hero then as it does not have a mic jack. seriously old kit then. I am only using this for the bar mout as an alternate perspective for now though.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R-Rated Camera Setups 18

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts