Opinions - Ear Plugs Whilst Riding

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
I used to wear earplugs on long rides or at least earbuds. But now with the full face helmet and the Sena, I haven't been wearing anything. Not sure its the best option but I'm open to trying out plugs that allow hearing the Sena speakers even just to try and reduce the wind noise fatigue.

CafeBrakes

Coffee Brakes
Jul 26, 2019
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2018 Yamaha R3
2014 Honda CBR1000RR
I havent had any problems but I know earplugs will go a long way for your ear drums. Although I do ride an r3 which isnt as loud as the other bikes I've rode. Earplugs will be something I will invest when I upgrade

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
I used to wear earplugs on long rides or at least earbuds. But now with the full face helmet and the Sena, I haven't been wearing anything. Not sure its the best option but I'm open to trying out plugs that allow hearing the Sena speakers even just to try and reduce the wind noise fatigue.
No idea what ear plugs are available to you, but the NoNoise and Alpine are pretty good for blocking out wind noise. I use NoNoise plugs and can hear my Cardo music up to about 125km/h, which is about the same speed as without the ear plugs.

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
No idea what ear plugs are available to you, but the NoNoise and Alpine are pretty good for blocking out wind noise. I use NoNoise plugs and can hear my Cardo music up to about 125km/h, which is about the same speed as without the ear plugs.
I will look into both of those brands! THanks for the suggestion WheelyPerd

Fazter-27

Wannabie Member
Aug 26, 2019
Staffordshire
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 750 K4
I am currently using the Auritech Ear Protectors; I find they work pretty well as long as you ensure they are fitted properly in the ear. I think they were about £20 from CMC Bikes.
Alternatively I always carry spare foam Ear plugs, I have a drawer full; working in the building industry has some advantages.

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
I use the Alpine ones (can't remember exact model as are different ones) and they work perfectly with Cardo. Only thing I don't like is they are white/ clear so after a bit of use they discolour.
I am a typical Scot and so refuse to spend the big bucks on customfit or CustomGuards. Although I have heard they are the best in the game.

Reactions: RideOnTwo

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
I am currently using the Auritech Ear Protectors; I find they work pretty well as long as you ensure they are fitted properly in the ear. I think they were about £20 from CMC Bikes.
Alternatively I always carry spare foam Ear plugs, I have a drawer full; working in the building industry has some advantages.
I always carry some foam ear plugs spare, especially on long trips in case I lose my main pair.

RideOnTwo

Smart Ass
Jun 14, 2019
Massachusetts USA
I ride a
BMW F750GS
Eargasm earplugs have different options and even will help you find the right type for you. Click the link and answer the quiz questions and they will suggest the model.

I have had mine for 4 years and have not used the additional pair that you get as of yet. I use them every ride, and clean them in warm water every so often. I have had them in up to 4 hours without taking them out and feel no discomfort, which I can not say for the foam squishy types. My wife would give me the look when I suggested to put the foam ones in but since I got her a pair of these she does not grumble about them. They allow you to hear everything that you normally hear including engine, music, comms and gps.

As someone who posted above said, you will not notice the hearing loss unless you take regular hearing tests. Ride for 15 minutes with a pair even the cheapest you can find then pull them out and rige for a few miles and you will see what a difference it makes. Noise above 80db will cause hearing loss from long exposure. 60 km/h (37 mph)wind noise is 90db, at 100 km/h (62 mph) it goes up to 110db and these decibel ratings were tested inside the helmet.

As with all types of gear it is your life and if you wish to take the risk so be it, but the argument that my bike isn't loud enough is not valid. My opinion, take it for what it is.

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
Eargasm earplugs have different options and even will help you find the right type for you. Click the link and answer the quiz questions and they will suggest the model.

I have had mine for 4 years and have not used the additional pair that you get as of yet. I use them every ride, and clean them in warm water every so often. I have had them in up to 4 hours without taking them out and feel no discomfort, which I can not say for the foam squishy types. My wife would give me the look when I suggested to put the foam ones in but since I got her a pair of these she does not grumble about them. They allow you to hear everything that you normally hear including engine, music, comms and gps.

As someone who posted above said, you will not notice the hearing loss unless you take regular hearing tests. Ride for 15 minutes with a pair even the cheapest you can find then pull them out and rige for a few miles and you will see what a difference it makes. Noise above 80db will cause hearing loss from long exposure. 60 km/h (37 mph)wind noise is 90db, at 100 km/h (62 mph) it goes up to 110db and these decibel ratings were tested inside the helmet.

As with all types of gear it is your life and if you wish to take the risk so be it, but the argument that my bike isn't loud enough is not valid. My opinion, take it for what it is.

Quality points made pal. Will check out the company as hadn't heard of them.

As someone who has regular hearing tests with work I value my hearing quite a lot.

RideOnTwo

Smart Ass
Jun 14, 2019
Massachusetts USA
I ride a
BMW F750GS
Quality points made pal. Will check out the company as hadn't heard of them.

As someone who has regular hearing tests with work I value my hearing quite a lot.
Thanks, I used to have regular hearing tests when I worked at a factory. Because I wore those crappy foam jobs I can still hear today and the radio usually is at a low volume because I can hear.

My comments above were not directed at any anyone in particular. It is a common excuse and often one I get when people see me put my earplugs in and I tell them I want to protect my hearing.

DB Moto

"Spirited" Supersport Motovlogger
Oct 23, 2019
Auckland, New Zealand
I ride a
2018 Yamaha R6
I can totally understand the need for it on bigger bikes. Sometimes I've thought about it just watching some RJ videos lol
I thought the same thing, but having ridden my stock R3 for commuting back in the day, I was horrified when I found that I had to get people to repeat themselves during conversation just because of wind noise; hence, I'm a permanently converted advocate of earplugs.

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
I thought the same thing, but having ridden my stock R3 for commuting back in the day, I was horrified when I found that I had to get people to repeat themselves during conversation just because of wind noise; hence, I'm a permanently converted advocate of earplugs.
I noticed this right after going for a long ride, very hard of hearing for a few minutes.

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton + Harley Lowrider
I have custom made ear plugs moulded to my ear drum shape. Worth every penny.

Reactions: HRMV

ChrisPook

Wannabie Member
Apr 8, 2020
I ride a
Honda Blackbird
Personally I always ride with ear plugs; well, any time I am going on a meaningful journey, not if I am popping to the shops. I ride at road legal UK speeds in the UK and faster in Germany on the motorway. I wouldn't be without ear plugs. A pal of mine tried to sell me on the benefits of listening to music while I ride but I cannot hear a thing at high speed, and low speed normally means traffic, and I don't want the distraction. Each to their own of course, but always wearing ear plugs works for me. Just the little yellow peril foam disposables do the trick.

Reactions: HRMV and HippoDrone

Gemini

Los Angeles R1 Motovlogger
Apr 16, 2020
Los Angeles
I ride a
2019 Yamaha R3 ABS
I have custom made ear plugs moulded to my ear drum shape. Worth every penny.
Where do u get those? Are they easy to clean and durable? I have earwax issues at times from wearing plugs a lot

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton + Harley Lowrider
Theres a lady in my local area that makes them... i've had them a year now and they're still great. They're a urethane kind of deal so washing them is easy its just a rubbery compound

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
Theres a lady in my local area that makes them... i've had them a year now and they're still great. They're a urethane kind of deal so washing them is easy its just a rubbery compound

And how do these compare price wise to say Customfit Guards?

Madlad

Absolute Madlad
Apr 24, 2020
Canada
I ride a
2014 Yamaha R6
I just use standard foam earplugs :p
I find its not 100% necessary for city riding (where I imagine most motovlogging happens) but for long highway rides they're a must.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts