Opinions - Ear Plugs Whilst Riding

LoneWally

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
I ride a
2007 Hartford HD125L, 2013 Honda CB500X
So this is a subject with plenty of views across the board. So I want to get a feel for what people are doing. So for those that have seen my older videos you'll know that I reviewed the Scala Rider Qz and you'll know that I brought as I wanted to use an earbud with it. Which is something I've done and done many, many miles in the process.

So recently my earbud just died and only having one other set that I use for work and any time I want buds means that I can't chop one bud off like I did before and tidy the extra wire. So I've dug out the speakers that come with the Scala and put them in my Carberg Duke 2. Which side note has little pockets for the speakers behind the cheek pad. Very comfy indeed. However one thing I notice when the earbud died and I ended up riding with nothing is how loud things are.

Whilst the speakers can fight the wind noise it still loud. So when I popped into the dealer to get some parts orders I picked up a 25 pack of Oxford Ear Plugs SNR 33 for £9.99 whacked a pair in and rode home. Now don't get me wrong they help quite a lot bud the one thing I could have done with the music being louder.

I have seen the some reusable ones on Amazon with filters in the tips and advertise that they reduce wind noise. MCRider did a video comparing the foam buds, a set of custom fit and a set and says he can hear his Sena better with them rather than the custom pair.

Can anyone else confirm these findings? What are peoples thoughts on ear plugs?

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I 100% recommend using earplugs even if I don't always do so. I do suggest you look at building supply stores for them rather than bike shops as they are often a wedge cheaper.
I had some custom made plugs made up, they were poop for me, but I know TMF ect has sworn by them. I use the foam ones, they work best for me.

Reactions: RideOnTwo

AaronK1

Motorcycle Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2019
Queensland
I ride a
Triumph Bonneville
Using earplugs are fine until and unless they have 100% noise cancellation. So I can recommend using earplugs with no noise cancellation characteristics so that you can get the traffic horns as well

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
I ride with and recommend "NoNoise" hearing protectors. They make a specific one for motorcycles. It cuts out wind noise mainly, but you can still hear the engine, a horn and for the OP music sounds crystal clear. At a full stop you can have a conversation with someone (granted it is still a little muted).
They use a special filter that filters out specific frequencies, allows others. I was sketpical at first, but they make a massive difference and locally were around $25-30.

RideOnTwo

Smart Ass
Jun 14, 2019
Massachusetts USA
I ride a
BMW F750GS
Reusable earplugs that can be cleaned and I have been using for 3 years without needing replacement. Eargasm earplugs, they are available on Amazon for about $30 US and come in a few sizes. I can hear the music and my wife perfectly but wind and road noise is softened while not drowning out the useful noises like cars engines and such.

I would swear by these and have recently bought a pair for the wife and she actually wears these. I had a hard time getting her to wear the one shot types.

Reactions: HippoDrone

v ride

Wannabie Member
Aug 13, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Vucan S 650
I have used the silicon moldable ear plugs and they work just fine... They kind of mold and take the shape of the ear and don't stick out as much as the foam ones.

Twotter

Wannabie Member
Aug 16, 2019
I ride a
Ducati Scrambler
I used to use Green Leopard custom made ear monitors so I could plug into my sat nav/ipod etc...and they were very good. Since getting an Interphone bluetooth gizmo I now wear foam plugs. If they can cut out the noise from my wife snoring then they're good enough for riding my bike :)

LoneWally

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
I ride a
2007 Hartford HD125L, 2013 Honda CB500X
I have used the silicon moldable ear plugs and they work just fine... They kind of mold and take the shape of the ear and don't stick out as much as the foam ones.

I've seen a few of them. What are kike sound wise compared to the foams.

I used to use Green Leopard custom made ear monitors so I could plug into my sat nav/ipod etc...and they were very good. Since getting an Interphone bluetooth gizmo I now wear foam plugs. If they can cut out the noise from my wife snoring then they're good enough for riding my bike :)

Always a bonus :D

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
For me commuting every day, the foam earplugs just block too much noise. Also has the problem of not being able to hear someone when they talk. These could be my foam plugs though.
Still pushing NoNoise earplugs :p

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
I don't think I need them on my scooter tbf :p:p

I usually wear one earbud in with a podcast playing though
If you spend any amount of time over 100 km/h or close to it, you need to try ear plugs.
Hearing loss on motorcycles can be pretty serious when you get old.

RideOnTwo

Smart Ass
Jun 14, 2019
Massachusetts USA
I ride a
BMW F750GS
You will not notice the difference unless you actually try the earplugs and then ride without. If I forget to put them back in after a stop it is like someone just cranked the stereo up to 10 from 2. Small unnoticed annoyances add up over time. Mowing the lawn, concerts, etc all contribute to hearing loss over time. It is also well documented that helmets do not make a good substitute for hearing protection. Bottom line it is your hearing that will be affected so it is your choice to wear or not wear.

There are options that lessen bad noise without cutting all noise off, Eargasm or WheelyPerd's NoNoise are reusable hi fidelity options. I have had mine for 4 years and wear on every ride, they are easy to clean and came with an extra silicone insert.

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
I often ride around 100 mph/60 mph on my scooter, but never felt the need for ear buds. I do wear a full face helmet so maybe that helps.

-Wolf
Its not something you would notice right now, hearing loss is a slow process. 100db of sound (around 100km/h) for 15 minutes causes irreversible damage to your hearing. Only something you notice when you normally ride with ear plugs and then dont.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts