New Winter, New Gear

Xconti

Wannabie Member
Sep 25, 2016
Azores Islands
I ride a
Honda NC 750x
So, Winter is comming and with it, a lot of rain.

For that I have been searching for a lot of information in order to replace my entering level motorcycle jacket.

Some have the opinion that it's best to buy a normal jacket and then a shell to put over it. Others say only Gore Tex will do the job properly.

What do you think? For example, the Alpinestar Andes is very well classified, but will it stand the heavy rain?

I'm just a noob with this questions and if anyone could help me, I would be very thankful.

Thank you all.

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
So, Winter is comming and with it, a lot of rain.

For that I have been searching for a lot of information in order to replace my entering level motorcycle jacket.

Some have the opinion that it's best to buy a normal jacket and then a shell to put over it. Others say only Gore Tex will do the job properly.

What do you think? For example, the Alpinestar Andes is very well classified, but will it stand the heavy rain?

I'm just a noob with this questions and if anyone could help me, I would be very thankful.

Thank you all.
From dealing with the rain a high quality two piece rainsuit that will fit over your leathers is a must.

I dress in layers and ride as cold as 19°F if not raining or snowing. Starting with the pants, under my slacks I wear long underwear. I wear over the calf socks. Over my slacks, I wear leather chaps but some places sell leather pants that can go over slacks.

For my top, t-shirt then office shirt. Over that I may wear a sweater. Then I go with an Army field jacket liner, then fleece jacket. Then a leather motorcycle jacket.

For gloves, I have a set made for snowmobile riding as is my helmet.

Footwear is boots with gor-tex and thinsulate

BlakShadow

The Masshole
Sep 26, 2016
Massachusetts
I ride a
Honda Shadow ACE 1100
I've tried it both ways. My mesh jacket has a light rainproof shell I can put on over it. It keeps me dry but can flap in the wind because it's so light. My heavier textile jackets keep the rain out well by themselves if I close them up tight. So I guess it depends on what style of riding jacket you're considering, and for what temperatures.

Also...

c16bf53e14992f6e24303bc36a718ca6e9f905ab87c3521e37ec7bec4e84142b.jpg

:D

SwissMotard

The Swiss Motard
Sep 19, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
I find even the best textile kit is not waterproof. Save money and get something with layers that you can put in or take out to adjust the temperature, and that zips the trousers to the jacket.

Then get a cheap waterproof combination suit that will be 100% waterproof.

whingnut

Squidbilly
Jul 29, 2016
Virginia beach VA
I ride a
2008 KLR 650 modified for TAT
Swissmotard has it right. i use thermal base layers, then my long sleeves and pants then the three season jacket then only thing after that is a rain suit if needed. my jacket is water proof and has a liner. i can take off or put on any of it to adjust my temp. but my bike has kinda became my commuter and will stay that way until the roads ice up :p

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts