Serious My First Close Call, I Almost Got Rear Ended On Highway!

CodeNameAB

Wannabie Member
Apr 29, 2016
Leuven
I ride a
Coming soon!
I was not sure what really happened at that moment and why she had to brake like that! After analyzing the GoPro footage multiple times I can now point out all our mistakes. I am just glad that she didnt rear end my S1000RR! Even if I wasnt there, she would still have to brake hard to avoid rear ending that van!

Just wanted to share this to show how our seemingly irrelevant decisions can sometimes prove to be extremely important on road. Ride safe!

dandoolittle

Site owner, lovely and adorable
Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K7 track/race bike
Kawasaki ZX6R 98 race bike
MiniMotos
Not sure what the issue is to be honest. The 'bout' was between you and the car in the right lane, who wanted to come into your lane, they indicated but you tried to stop them coming in, they took it anyway and you braked...

The car in the left lane wasn't even in your lane so unless you moved over to their lane, which you didn't and you did leave your lifesaver right until the last second anyway...You still stayed in your lane, and the left driver stayed in their lane? Not sure any rear ending would have happened? Your own riding in that scenario didn't appear to be that well planned?

Now sure what you're complaining out as such?

However, I love a good video that's open to debate so I'm promoting it for the discussion

CodeNameAB

Wannabie Member
Apr 29, 2016
Leuven
I ride a
Coming soon!
The car in the left lane wasn't even in your lane so unless you moved over to their lane, which you didn't and you did leave your lifesaver right until the last second anyway...You still stayed in your lane, and the left driver stayed in their lane? Not sure any rear ending would have happened? Your own riding in that scenario didn't appear to be that well planned?

If you observe my left mirror carefully (at 1:01) the car on left lane was already coming toward me at whatever speed she was doing. Had she not braked on time, it was a clear rear end. That screeching sound was the wheel locking on that car. You can also see her swerving back to her lane after that.

I am not complaining anywhere. It is not a rant nor a road rage video. Like I said before, I just wanted to show how our minor decisions can prove to be dangerous on road.

Thanks for promoting it.

Ton

Rock n' Ride
Jul 7, 2016
I ride a
2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic
Yeah, this sort of thing has happened to me before but typically if I see an indicator to come into my lane I will wait it out at least until I can pass in a further left lane. For me its about picking the time to ride offensively vs. defensively.

RoadSprock

Original Vlogs
Mar 7, 2016
United Kingdom
I ride a
KTM 690 Supermoto/ Triumph Speed Triple 1050
@dandoolittle think it was because the hatchback was merging in the same lane behind him, then he braked so they did causing the tyre screech and went back out of the lane.

Captain

Professional Amateur Vlogger
Aug 15, 2016
West Yorkshire. England
I ride a
2008 Yamaha R125
2001 Honda CBR929RR
Never good having an accident on a fast moving multi-lane highway as you've no guarantee that other road users will be able to stop in time when your down.

Either the driver behind you didn't see you at all, or she expected that on a bike you would be gone by the time she moved across into your lane.

Viper1350

Wannabie Member
Jan 15, 2016
Cape Town, South Africa
I ride a
Yamaha YZF-R6
As @CodeNameAB said, his mistake was that he assumed the driver in front of him would let him pass. It doesn't look like the driver even knew he was there. That's why I always ride as if everyone else is drunk, and I'm invisible ;)

CodeNameAB

Wannabie Member
Apr 29, 2016
Leuven
I ride a
Coming soon!
Just curious how many years have you been on 2 wheels?

Just a month, still on my learners license. Haha, just kidding :D Its been 5 years now. I think you asked this because of the title "My first close call"? To be precise, this is my first close call on this bike in Belgium.

Just confused of the message to be honest

Ok, here it is,

1. Never assume anything : My mistake, I thought the van would let me go. This has happened a lot of times in the past where the car would turn on indicators but seeing a biker they wait for us to go as we can pass them in fraction of a second. I was also prepared to slow down if he came into my lane, which I did.

2. Always look over your shoulder while changing lane : Had the van driver done that he wouldve seen me. You can see in the video that I did look over my shoulder before changing lane.

3. Anticipate other traffic : Had the lady merging from behind seen this van, then she couldve avoided that hard braking. Also she seemed to be too fast to enter that lane anyway, mustve assumed me being a biker would just accelerate from there and she would have all the space.

I hope you are atleast clear about the rear ending scenario.

Yeah, this sort of thing has happened to me before but typically if I see an indicator to come into my lane I will wait it out at least until I can pass in a further left lane. For me its about picking the time to ride offensively vs. defensively.

Me too man. I usually let people go when they have indicator on but as I mentioned above, in Belgium many times cars wait for us bikers to go even when they have indicator on. I usually confirm that by looking at their mirror and checking if they are actually waiting for me or not, but here the mirror wasnt clear to me.

@dandoolittle think it was because the hatchback was merging in the same lane behind him, then he braked so they did causing the tyre screech and went back out of the lane.

Indeed.

Never good having an accident on a fast moving multi-lane highway as you've no guarantee that other road users will be able to stop in time when your down.

Either the driver behind you didn't see you at all, or she expected that on a bike you would be gone by the time she moved across into your lane.

Yes, she expected that me being on bike would be gone when she moved into the lane. But there was a truck in front I couldnt have gone a lot further. She didnt anticipate or look further than vehicle in front of her!

As @CodeNameAB said, his mistake was that he assumed the driver in front of him would let him pass. It doesn't look like the driver even knew he was there. That's why I always ride as if everyone else is drunk, and I'm invisible ;)

Yes, most likely he never even knew or when he checked his mirrors I was on his blind spot. And I was prepared for it, but not for the screeching car behind :)

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Not sure what the issue is to be honest. The 'bout' was between you and the car in the right lane, who wanted to come into your lane, they indicated but you tried to stop them coming in, they took it anyway and you braked...

Now sure what you're complaining out as such?

However, I love a good video that's open to debate so I'm promoting it for the discussion

By the looks of the left mirror the left driver was merging into his lane.
Was she not paying attention it might had ended with a rear end or sideway collision.

Even though the indicator is no privilege to change lanes (only indicates that you want to) it was safe here to give her that space. She was blinking for quite something and decided to go, better to give her that space for your own safety and prevent a situation like this.
Cager in the left could also assume that the right car would merge and the biker should slow down, so it was not save for her to merge, but most cagers don't think that far ahead. ;)

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Pucker and release. Breath. Throttle. . .

That road looks like what would be called an interstate, or expressway, here in the US. Pretty well traveled from the amount of vehicles in the footage. Now, here is where I need some info - those lines to the left of the bike's lane look to be signifying something. Is there a split coming up?

If there is a split, or even a merge, then it seems like the traffic will be shuffling like cards. That is always tricky.

I also noticed the sun was to the rider's back on the ramp which means anyone looking back in their mirror might have gotten a little blinded.

The little car to the left may have hit the brakes a bit harder than needed because they thought the van and bike where about to become one in body and the car did not want to add to the mayhem?

Extra points to the rider for not getting upset and just shoving on through when the van kept merging. Another extra point for no cursing nor obscene hand signals. Maybe a honk or two would have been optional . . .

CodeNameAB

Wannabie Member
Apr 29, 2016
Leuven
I ride a
Coming soon!
Even though the indicator is no privilege to change lanes (only indicates that you want to) it was safe here to give her that space. She was blinking for quite something and decided to go, better to give her that space for your own safety and prevent a situation like this.

Just to clarify, by "she" you mean the van on the right. I am not sure if it was a she or he so just assumed it was he :)

Totally agree with all that you said. If the car from behind had seen that far ahead, she could've avoided the whole situation.

Pucker and release. Breath. Throttle. . .

That road looks like what would be called an interstate, or expressway, here in the US. Pretty well traveled from the amount of vehicles in the footage. Now, here is where I need some info - those lines to the left of the bike's lane look to be signifying something. Is there a split coming up?

If there is a split, or even a merge, then it seems like the traffic will be shuffling like cards. That is always tricky.

You are right. It is the equivalent of an interstate and there is a split coming up. The two of the right lanes and 3 of the left lanes go in different directions. So the traffic will be shuffling like card and it is indeed tricky.

I also noticed the sun was to the rider's back on the ramp which means anyone looking back in their mirror might have gotten a little blinded.

Thats a very good point. But I see that we were on shadowy part so mirrors we clear for me. It could be possible that the van on right was blinded a bit.

The little car to the left may have hit the brakes a bit harder than needed because they thought the van and bike where about to become one in body and the car did not want to add to the mayhem?

Quite possible. At those speeds even a 1/10th second delay in braking can make a huge difference.

Extra points to the rider for not getting upset and just shoving on through when the van kept merging. Another extra point for no cursing nor obscene hand signals. Maybe a honk or two would have been optional . . .

I will gladly take those points :D I am not a fan of road rage anyways so I dont try to provoke a situation to make it worse. A honk wouldve been good indeed but then in the end everybody got to know their mistakes so lessons learnt, the easy way :)

Reactions: R-Rated

dandoolittle

Site owner, lovely and adorable
Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K7 track/race bike
Kawasaki ZX6R 98 race bike
MiniMotos

Exactly what I'm thinking to be honest. Rider also seemed to be close to the left line, as though going to shift over so maybe panic braked. Don't think wreck less.... Everyone seems distracted by someone else and no one really got it right, most of us don't

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
Exactly what I'm thinking to be honest. Rider also seemed to be close to the left line, as though going to shift over so maybe panic braked. Don't think wreck less.... Everyone seems distracted by someone else and no one really got it right, most of us don't

Man, if I was able to get right, I would not be as grouchy some days!

Thank goodness for my motorcycle. It helps.

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
Just to clarify, by "she" you mean the van on the right. I am not sure if it was a she or he so just assumed it was he :)

Totally agree with all that you said. If the car from behind had seen that far ahead, she could've avoided the whole situation.

You are right. It is the equivalent of an interstate and there is a split coming up. The two of the right lanes and 3 of the left lanes go in different directions. So the traffic will be shuffling like card and it is indeed tricky.

Thats a very good point. But I see that we were on shadowy part so mirrors we clear for me. It could be possible that the van on right was blinded a bit.

Quite possible. At those speeds even a 1/10th second delay in braking can make a huge difference.

I will gladly take those points :D I am not a fan of road rage anyways so I dont try to provoke a situation to make it worse. A honk wouldve been good indeed but then in the end everybody got to know their mistakes so lessons learnt, the easy way :)

I think it is cool that you are watching the thread and have input.

Yeah, road rage stinks, it can ruin the whole ride sometimes. Heck, even I have a little bubble up from time to time. I just have take a breath and roll on down the road.

Unfortunately not all riders I have seen are as calm and that is not a good thing.

Reactions: CodeNameAB

CodeNameAB

Wannabie Member
Apr 29, 2016
Leuven
I ride a
Coming soon!
I think it is cool that you are watching the thread and have input.

Yeah, road rage stinks, it can ruin the whole ride sometimes. Heck, even I have a little bubble up from time to time. I just have take a breath and roll on down the road.

Unfortunately not all riders I have seen are as calm and that is not a good thing.

Thanks man. I like a good discussion and wanted to know all your views so I was actively reading the comments.

There will always be a complete idiot on the road who will bring out that rage in you, but what you do is best, just relax and let it go. They are not worth it.

RedRider!

RedRider! Get up that hill bro!
Jun 11, 2016
South Wales UK
I ride a
Lexmoto Diablo 125cc
At least you accepted your errors as well as theirs. I feel like having a sandwich now. That was quite close! Ride safe!

CodeNameAB

Wannabie Member
Apr 29, 2016
Leuven
I ride a
Coming soon!
Good on you for taking the comments on the chin as well

Thanks mate. Healthy discussion is good for everybody.

At least you accepted your errors as well as theirs. I feel like having a sandwich now. That was quite close! Ride safe!

Bon appetit :D

I knew there was my mistake along with theirs so wanted to highlight all of them.

By the way, while I was riding on same road today late in the evening, the roads were empty and I could see there were many tire marks on that road! Looks like hard braking is a regular occurrence there.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts