How Long/short Should A Motovlog Be?

Motorpsych

Wannabie Member
Feb 27, 2016
Japan, near Tokyo
I ride a
Honda VTR250
I don't know if I should be posting this in the editing section or general discussion, but my question is "How long should a Motovlog be, to keep the audiences attention?" I imagine that once you have a relationship with the audience they will sit through longer videos, but I think that generally peoples attention span are getting shorter. They want to consume information and entertainment quickly and won't sit through a longer video unless, UNLESS they are really interested in the topic.
So my question is, what have you found from your analytics and feedback from subscribers is the ideal length for a Motovlog. What is the average length of time someone will watch one of your videos? Personally I think around 5 minutes is what most people will watch. As a Motovlogger / content creator I would like 8 minutes or more to say what I want to say etc. Any thoughts?

Clint Love

It doesn't say CUNT, dammit!
Jun 17, 2015
Dallas, Texas
www.therealclintlove.com
I ride a
2007 Ducati 1098s
I think that generally peoples attention span are getting shorter. They want to consume information and entertainment quickly and won't sit through a longer video unless, UNLESS they are really interested in the topic.

Pretty much hit it on the head right there. For the most part 2-5 minutes is really where it's at. Guys like bakerXderek can get away with longer videos and extended intros for some reason, but most of us can't. The one I have that went viral is only 4 minutes long bit I still get people bitching that the action doesn't really start until about 1:00 into the video and that I'm "just talking" for the rest of it. Stuff really has to be happening all the time or people's attention will wane.

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
Keep my interest and I'll keep watching unless I'm on a time constraint.

Established vloggers can do longer as their viewers will be used to it and subbed because they like the style thus the length.

Reactions: Motorpsych

BbqRider

Wannabie Member
Aug 30, 2015
I ride a
Suzuki DR650
As far as the stats go, I think most people have an average view duration of 2 mins or so. It all depends though. Your core fanbase will mostly watch the whole thing no matter how long, while "incidental" viewers may only watch enough to figure out what the video is about. I try to keep my videos under 7 minutes as a rough rule, but it's my channel and I get to do what I want, so if I want to put a 20 minute vid up, I will.

Marbro_za

Dan's princess
Mar 13, 2014
I ride a
Yamaha fz6
I check my retention thingy on Youtube, It said people stick around for less than 5min
so i try to keep it under 5min

Pigs

Wannabie Member
Dec 4, 2015
Portland, OR
I ride a
zx6r
I have clicked away from 5 minute videos and I have also watched 20-30 minute videos. Make an interesting video, and ill sit through it. Use a click baity title where the most interesting thing happens throughout a video is a 30 second clip, I will click away.

I will only take viewed average with a grain of salt. Maybe one of the reasons that the average view time is so short is because there isn't enough interesting content inside. But swiss said it best, any length is the perfect length as long as its engaging to watch. Don't use filler content to make your video a specific length either. I have seen this done and I am not a fan of it.

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
The average view time thing is misleading anyway. If someone clicks a suggested link to you and it's not what they want, or wasn't what they thought then you'll get a very short view which brings the average down. So your core views may well be several minutes but the average is dragged down by other accidental visits.

SwissMotard

The Swiss Motard
Sep 19, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
Time viewed average is hard to go by as its the average time over all videos, long and short. Best stats to look at are percentage viewed to see how much retention videos are getting.

My average video length is 6 minutes.

Arctic Pride

L Plate Member
Mar 3, 2014
I ride a
lot of different things
The average view time thing is misleading anyway. If someone clicks a suggested link to you and it's not what they want, or wasn't what they thought then you'll get a very short view which brings the average down. So your core views may well be several minutes but the average is dragged down by other accidental visits.

Ahhhh but isn't this the goal to get clicks and have people stay because the content makes them want to finish the video?

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
That's the goal, but if it's not what people like, then they won't stay with it.

I've noticed a slight increase in views since the words Triumph Sprint ST 1050 have appeared in my video description, even if the video doesn't have it in the title. So what you ride is a factor in people staying. Honda Deauville wasn't such a crowd puller. I'm still me monotonously mumbling along...

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Stay out off the double digits i guess.
I skip vlogs of 09:59 + because of the length.

I sometimes even fasten up vlogs that are "too" long.

Of course there are always exceptions, like a good review of a mototrippin vlog ;)

Motorpsych

Wannabie Member
Feb 27, 2016
Japan, near Tokyo
I ride a
Honda VTR250
That's the goal, but if it's not what people like, then they won't stay with it.

I've noticed a slight increase in views since the words Triumph Sprint ST 1050 have appeared in my video description, even if the video doesn't have it in the title. So what you ride is a factor in people staying. Honda Deauville wasn't such a crowd puller. I'm still me monotonously mumbling along...

Riding a cool or popular bike helps.

JohnnyGrom

Wannabie Member
Jan 28, 2016
I ride a
Honda Grom
I try to keep my vlogs between 3 to 6 minutes until i build a higher viewer base.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts