Gopro Hero 5 Usb-c Adapter Encryption

Arctic Pride

L Plate Member
Mar 3, 2014
I ride a
lot of different things
Figured this warranted its own thread since its a fairly popular topic these days.

I did some research on the GoPro Hero 5 USB-C adapter and it turns out the brick also encrypts the traffic going to the camera effectively preventing 3rd party adapters unless they spend the time to crack the encryption.

https://gethypoxic.com/blogs/technical/gopro-hero5-tear-down-and-software-study

ENCRYPTION / DRM
The surprise is the Atmel SAM D21E16 part (Australia MCU) which is used for Identify Friend or Foe Challenges and to offload some of the smarts talking to HEROBUS (GCCB Protocol) devices. It also coordinates all the USB-C PD (power delivery controller) and USBC pin muxing. When an accessory is detected by communications over CC1, authentication is done to a ATSHA204A over i2c on the TX+/TX- pins. Once authorized, D-/D+ pairs, become their appropriate functionality. VCONN also remains active. We've done a through-all analysis on this encryption, but will keep it internally.

The first devices that use the new HEROBUS are GoPro Karma, a Spherical Camera solution, a display port dongle for the Session, and the Gantry (Pro 3.5 mic adapter). The MCU's bootloader and "app" are encrypted and they've code protected the device. It appears Atmel's appnote was followed so perhaps they used the default keys of C0DE or GoProGoPro..

I also contacted the site and they support the theory that this is done to prevent 3rd party interaction.

Hi all,

I'm hoping you can clarify
something for me with regard to the device encryption.

You note that the new USB-C adapter which allows users to run an
external mic plays a part part with the new encryption software.

Will this new encryption potentially halt 3rd party adapters or do you
believe there could be a work around for this new annoyance.

Thank you for your time

AFAIK, this encryption will prevent third parties from doing anything over USB-C outside of the developer program.

-Trunk

:mad:

Reactions: HippoDrone

Arctic Pride

L Plate Member
Mar 3, 2014
I ride a
lot of different things
I'd suspect its hackable but don't expect many to have the time and knowledge to just make mic adapters.

Dark Rider

Wannabie Member
Jan 4, 2016
I ride a
Suzuki GSR 600
Hmmm I'm still debating whether or not to get a Hero5 Black. I'm currently in Suadi Arabia on business and they are really cheap compared to South Africa.

I can also get a Hero 4 Silver with a remote for about the same price as the 5 here.

My Hero 3 black works pretty damn well so not sure if there's much need to upgrade? Is there a noticeable difference between the 3 and 4?

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
If you're happy with the 3, then you may have answered your question...

Or, while the 4/5 will have improved features, will you use them? Refer to also to the debates on whether 4K is worth it on YT, and if your computer has the beef to render it etc etc etc

Dark Rider

Wannabie Member
Jan 4, 2016
I ride a
Suzuki GSR 600
If you're happy with the 3, then you may have answered your question...

Or, while the 4/5 will have improved features, will you use them? Refer to also to the debates on whether 4K is worth it on YT, and if your computer has the beef to render it etc etc etc

My computer barely has the beef to render 1080 60fps let alone 4k...

My reasoning behind the possible upgrade is that the newer cameras have better sensors and light control in certain conditions.

KittenMeat

Wannabie Member
Nov 15, 2015
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800xc
Suzuki Sv650-R
this sucks. the gopro mic adapters have always been sort of crap. the hero4 adapters stuck out awkwardly, and this one is 10x worse.

I'll be switching to sony next. better picture, better stabilization, better form factor (for side of the helmet)

Delio

Wannabie Member
Feb 18, 2017
I ride a
2014 Suzuki GSX-R 600
I think this is because GoPro might have seen a decline in sales for their adapter/accessories in the previous HERO 4, 3, etc because of the cheaper eBay variants that people were buying instead. They're trying to force people to buy their products only now. Which is kind of sad. I believe a product is a good product when there is 3rd party accessories...

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
I think the message is make a decent one in the first place...

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
aye. I have the GP 5 mic adaptor and it is shit, it really is low budget and at £50 it really should be better than it is. Will probs go for recording audio separately in the future.

JEPPAY

Wannabie Member
Feb 19, 2017
Copenhagen
www.jeppay.dk
I ride a
Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R
So the adapter encrypts the sound data. But ive seen a youtube video where someone uses a random usb c to 3.5mm adapter bought on ebay with Hero5 Session that works.

Arctic Pride

L Plate Member
Mar 3, 2014
I ride a
lot of different things
I think this is because GoPro might have seen a decline in sales for their adapter/accessories in the previous HERO 4, 3

Public company can't have outside competition like that, drives the share price down :rolleyes:

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts