Go Pro & Handle Bar Mounts

MachKneel

Insta : @flex_and_freedom
Mar 23, 2021
Co.Derry, Ireland
I ride a
Harley Davidson Softail 2021, Yamaha R6 2005
Hi Folks,

has anyone gambled with the cheap handlebar mounts on amazon for phone and go pro as opposed to quadlock etc?

I am more worried about the go pro mount atm, would love to have rider facing footage for next few vids.

Considering these;

Go pro Handle bar Mount

Go Pro Handle bar mount 2

My only worry is no vibration damper, and I own a harley :/

had a quick search on forum but didn't see much in the way of specifics previously.

Thanks

John

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I use official RAM mounts on my bikes to mount my GoPros and Insta360 cameras. I also use QuadLock for my phone, but also have a RAM ball mount I can use with that too.
I have used knock off GoPro mounts, most have broken and some have nearly had my camera drop from the bike too. £400 camera, £1000 phone, is very much a false economy to buy cheap mounts IMO. I know some have never had a problem, but not a risk I'd take on such expensive items personally! :)

MachKneel

Mar 23, 2021
Co.Derry, Ireland
I ride a
Don't skimp on mounts with a Harley. I have seen a pal's Hero5 break even stock GoPro Mounts from the vibrating.

I would recommend RAM mounts.

Yeah you are probably right, trying to get my set up sorted before I leave for a mega road trip on 21st May, also need to test it out prior to that too! was his footage decent before it got destroyed?

Reactions: R-Rated

MachKneel

Mar 23, 2021
Co.Derry, Ireland
I ride a
I use official RAM mounts on my bikes to mount my GoPros and Insta360 cameras. I also use QuadLock for my phone, but also have a RAM ball mount I can use with that too.
I have used knock off GoPro mounts, most have broken and some have nearly had my camera drop from the bike too. £400 camera, £1000 phone, is very much a false economy to buy cheap mounts IMO. I know some have never had a problem, but not a risk I'd take on such expensive items personally! :)

Thanks Hippo - am I being an idiot or where is best to order online for UK delivery? (N.Ireland)

I will definitely go Quadlock for iphone, just would prefer to buy mount for GoPro first as it is the priority!

Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660

the above should be genuine RAM mounts.
If going QuadLock, especially if you have an iPhone, make sure you get their vibration damping mount, been several reports of iPhone cameras breaking when bike mounted (with all brands of mount)

• Love
Reactions: MachKneel

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Yeah you are probably right, trying to get my set up sorted before I leave for a mega road trip on 21st May, also need to test it out prior to that too! was his footage decent before it got destroyed?
The camera survived with minor nicks because it fell off the shoulder of the roadway. Took us 20 minutes searching for it.

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I don't remember which Harley you're riding, but if it's got a fairing, I recommend a RickRak fairing mount for GoPros, and then I wrapped a GoPro seat post mount around it... I showed it in my 3-minute Motovlog setup video, but explained it better in my GoPro/Insta Mash-up video. It works quite well and so far, no issues with either camera [Hero 8 & Max] that I've put there.

-John

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
That's a good suggestion - I am gonna get some rubber to put inside my clamp mount ... it's not a RAM mount, it's MRAPP or something, whatever came with my Insta360 selfie stick... I think it chipped the powdercoating on my passenger floorboard mounts [which are square, but gave me a good way to rest the selfie stick against the saddlebag guards]

-John

MachKneel

Mar 23, 2021
Co.Derry, Ireland
I ride a
Thanks for all advice so far - Aaron has randomly found a RAM phone mount in storage somewhere so we are going to just order the needed parts for the GoPro conversion and I will order a full RAM GoPro Kit for mine so we are set! Just hope it arrives in time for our big road trip!!

thanks again all!

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I use a cheap phone mount from Amazon and have had zero problems. For my GoPro I use a GoPro flex clamp. It's more expensive but easy to take on and off and can change the position just by twisting the camera.

GoPro Flex Mount

I love the Jaws clamp mount! Very versatile, like you said!

-John

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I wanted to use a jaws clamp but there isn't any good place on the Goldwing bars to place it, so I instead installed a small ball mount with integrated brackets and that worked for me.

Problem is it's fixed to my Wing, I can't transfer it to other bikes at all. I need to have a clamp mount in my kit for "just in case" situations too.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I wanted to use a jaws clamp but there isn't any good place on the Goldwing bars to place it, so I instead installed a small ball mount with integrated brackets and that worked for me.

Problem is it's fixed to my Wing, I can't transfer it to other bikes at all. I need to have a clamp mount in my kit for "just in case" situations too.

Yeah, the Jaws can be tricky... like on your Wing, no good place on the handlebars, and even on my Glide, the old dinosaur that it is, there's just too much stuff on the handlebars. There's one spot, that isn't transferrable right to left, to put it where it doesn't interfere with the movement of the bars at full lock and doesn't rub on the inner fairing... and that's the one spot I used it until I cobbled together my fairing mount.

On the flip side, it grabs onto my engine guards, saddlebag guards, trailer, truck, and numerous other places just fine, and gets neat camera angles. If you saw my Ciro Big Ass Cup Holder install/review video, on that one I actually had the Jaws on my windshield!

TL;DR: Yes, get a Jaws, it'll come in handy in multiple spots, if not your handlebars.

-John

Reactions: MachKneel

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I bought 2 of these, but tough to get on the new bike. I may change my bars though and that will make it easier.
I've seen people remove the mirrors and then put them back on with these sandwiched between mirror and mount, not tried that myself yet, and they may need drilling out a little.
I have these mounted around some of my bikes so that I can quickly attach a camera for different angles :)

TMackie

Up Shift Freak
Jun 12, 2020
Alberta , Canada
I ride a
Victory Vision 8 Ball , Indian Chieftain
I've seen people remove the mirrors and then put them back on with these sandwiched between mirror and mount, not tried that myself yet, and they may need drilling out a little.
I have these mounted around some of my bikes so that I can quickly attach a camera for different angles :)
My mirrors seem tight to the fairing. I will investigate more when I get home. 7 more days in the oil patch and then home for 5 weeks vacation. In the meantime here is where I place my clamp.
20210510_132244.jpg

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts