Full time motovloggers

bphoenix38

Wannabie Member
Apr 12, 2019
Southern Massachusetts
www.facebook.com
I ride a
2013 Can Am Spyder RS
I'm still trying to figure out how they do this full time. I know sponsorship plays a big part in it. But looking at someone like Walterific with 1.8 million subs, he has a hard time getting most of his video views over 100k. Which to me seems like a bad math and he should have alot more views than that. Is it more the views or the subs that got him full time? Just curious.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
It will have been the revenue from the views. Subs don't mean views unfortunately. You get revenue for adverts on your videos and some subscribers may donate via Patreon or Paypal, they will also sell merch (t-shirts, hoodies, stickers, etc. Sponsorship deals can help, but I'd have thought mostly reviews would just get them free products rather than a pay packet.
Now for someone to decide to go full time on YouTube they have to look at what they earn vs what YouTube and the other bits and bobs can earn them. So someone who has a job on minimum wage would find it easier to transition full time to YouTube, where as someone who earns £40k or $60k USA for example, would find it harder to break even by moving over.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
If it is a hobby I imagine it will stay fun to do for longer than it would if putting food on the table depended on it! :)

Reactions: R-Rated

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Also don't forget that YouTube and Adsense payout for all videos monetized and viewed over the course of a month.

Something like this -

Newest video - piddly views
Previous video - more piddly views
And so on

If the creator is lucky then they heavily watched videos every month even if it is older content.

All that adds up. Back before Adpocolypse I was pulling in almost $100 per month with less than 200 subs.

Reactions: HippoDrone

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
Go to socialblade or a similar site and have a look at his actual stats. He's averaging 162,000 views a day, and 1100 new subscribers a day.
Do the math on that and see if you think it would pay the way.

You have to remember its no one vid thats getting watched its every video.

I'd say hes easy getting around 100k in add revenue even with all the changes.

LoneWally

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
I ride a
2007 Hartford HD125L, 2013 Honda CB500X
I had the same thought a while ago. Taking R-Rated's addition and Patreon I can see how people could get by. But I still wonder how they with multiple higher end things. Cars, insurance etc. I haven't watched any other Walters vids in a fair while. But I know he'd spent a fair amount on his jeep plus the R8 that I've just seen his brought. Not hate on the guy his found away of doing it that earns .

Reactions: HippoDrone

bphoenix38

Wannabie Member
Apr 12, 2019
Southern Massachusetts
www.facebook.com
I ride a
2013 Can Am Spyder RS
He spends alot of money. I like his videos and its great that he's found a way to make it his job. I was just really curious because I was thinking about the numbers I'd have to do to go full-time YouTube. I'd have to be bigger than Walter for me to make more money than I'm making now. Good thing it's a hobby :)

FloridaMan

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2018
Polk County, Florida
I ride a
Boulevard s83 & Boulevard s40
If you really want to make money as a YouTuber and get a more views on your videos you need to understand how the YouTube algorithm works.
I highly recommend watching Graham Stephan's YouTube Creator Course.
With his code 100OFF it costs $300, but IMO it's completely worth it as if you will most likely learn things from it that will make that money back.
I'm not getting anything out of sharing this course, just sharing because I've watched it and have learned a lot from it.

Last edited by a moderator:

GIZZ

Wannabie Member
Jul 25, 2017
Canada eh!
I ride a
K5 gsxr 1000
I unsubscribed from walterific over a year ago. I followed walterific on instagram maybe last week, his pic popped up on my feed this morning. What an odd character, does he even ride anymore? That outfit is over the top for Oct 31 even. I don't know how he can move in it, and it looks very hot. Oh, he went to a total poser Ducati too. I'm just trying to understand and realize motorcycles are very niche, his over the top image appeals to kids. There are way more kids looking at youtube than motorcycle riders. Riders in general laugh at this kind of motorcycle behaviour, until we realize he's made a career of it. I could not do it, I'm not that much of an attention whore.

FloridaMan

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2018
Polk County, Florida
I ride a
Boulevard s83 & Boulevard s40
I unsubscribed from walterific over a year ago. I followed walterific on instagram maybe last week, his pic popped up on my feed this morning. What an odd character, does he even ride anymore? That outfit is over the top for Oct 31 even. I don't know how he can move in it, and it looks very hot. Oh, he went to a total poser Ducati too. I'm just trying to understand and realize motorcycles are very niche, his over the top image appeals to kids. There are way more kids looking at youtube than motorcycle riders. Riders in general laugh at this kind of motorcycle behaviour, until we realize he's made a career of it. I could not do it, I'm not that much of an attention whore.
I can't agree with that. I like Walter. I think that really is just his character. Sure he dramatizes and hypes stuff up for the camera, but I believe he enjoys riding and doing what he does

Edit: Also, he doesn't have a Ducati and he doesn't ride in that suit...

GIZZ

Wannabie Member
Jul 25, 2017
Canada eh!
I ride a
K5 gsxr 1000
My bad, its a ktm superduke.

He has ridden in the suit, says he wants to make some adjustments to make it more practical for the street. It's a character like you said, just geared towards a different crowdl. And that's where the money is.

themagpie

As the Magpie Flies
Jun 18, 2019
Portland, OR & Corvallis, MT
www.asthemagpieflies.com
I ride a
2016 Honda CB500x, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800xc, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 1980 Suzuki GS850gl, Batavus Moped, 1972 Honda CB175
Most Youtube Creators who go full time (not just Motovloggers) don't go full time based on their AdSense. Youtube really just ends up being a platform for you to capture an audience's attention to funnel them to other things that then make you enough money to live off of. A lot of the time it's more work than a normal full time job, because you're marketing yourself on top of creating content for Youtube to maintain your audience, as well as maintaining your other revenue streams.
Speaking as a person who only has a part time job right now and relies a lot on my Audience, and my multiple revenue streams, it's not smart to put all of your eggs in one basket, especially when you're talking about being able to pay your bills or not. The money is never guaranteed, it might be really great one month, and slim pickings the next.
Those who have been able to take this full time, have a LOT of other Revenue Streams for example:
  • Google Adsense (which most full time youtubers who talk openly about their income will always say is only a very small chunk of their income and fluctuates too violently to depend on)
  • Amazon Affiliate Links
  • (Other) Affiliate Links with Sponsored Brands (ie getting a very small percentage of sales that come through your specific link)
  • Book Revenue (for example Forty Times Around gets a little bit of money every month from his Kindle Book which anyone can make, you don't have to get published by a company to write a book.)
  • Drop Ship Merch (ie stickers, prints, shirts from a third party like Redbubble, TeeSpring etc. There's also more ambitious people who properly develop a product like Tim and Fin (not motovloggers) who developed Packing Cubes, found a company to produce them in SE Asia, which are then drop shipped via Amazon Warehouse. The income from their Amazon store allows them to travel full time, live out of Air BnB's for a month at a time etc.)
  • Online Store Fronts that they ship/make themselves (this would be products that you have your hands on and you ship yourself. Like selling Parts on Ebay, or handmade materials like Leather Bags, handmade seats etc on Etsy, or using the built in shop function via Squarespace etc.)
  • Digital Products (things that cost $0 for them to maintain/provide to customer after it's made, so they get 100% of the profit when someone purchases it ie selling Photo Filters, Video Presets, E-Courses - which has become a very popular option lately-, Informative/How-To/ List PDFs, even uploading Stock Photos to websites like Shutterstock or Adobe Stock etc. )
  • Patreon (which can become a full time job in itself depending on tier structures and "perks")
  • Straight up Paypal Donations from Fans
  • Pay Wall Content (ie selling a film on Vimeo or Amazon for example ADV China have a few more documentary style moto-adventure films that you have to pay to watch on Vimeo)
  • Speaking Events (for example Steph Jeavons funded the second half of her world tour by hosting speaking events and slideshows at different dealerships along the West Coast of the US and charging about $10 a head for attendees)
  • Events or "Schools" (for example eveRide who does these kind of weekender Rallys which pays most of his bills in conjunction with Patreon and other revenue streams)
  • Freelance (this could be a lot of things, a lot of creators make video content for other brand's platforms, or freelance Photography, Writing Articles for Magazines, Consulting or doing Marketing for other companies, Managing other brand's Social Media etc.)
  • Sponsored Content (ie getting sponsored by companies like Skillshare, Squarespace, or even Tourism Boards, Hotel Chains etc that lay out specific language that has to be included in a video in exchange for a fee or sometimes based on how much business comes to them through your affiliate link.)

Riderguide

Neil - The Rider Guider
Feb 24, 2019
South Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha Tenere 700 T7
I've had two freebie's from reviews, that is all but actually only done about three reviews so not a bad return haha. My goal is to build to a time when I retire. If I'm in a position to earn an extra couple of hundred dollars every month or two from advertising on top of my pension I may well do that. But this is 9 years away at the earliest and the goal posts will move before then that's for sure as will the dividends no doubt. In the meantime I'm loving learning about editing and vlogging almost as much as my riding! I think we're dreaming if we think we can make a living out of this. Boat's sailed. Do it for fun. Money won't make ya happy. FREEBIES DO THOUGH :D

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts