For starting out...

Dnljmrs

Dr Dan
Apr 13, 2020
South Wales
www.danielmorse.me.uk
I ride a
Suzuki GSX650f (K8)
So just thought i'd update on this, I had an opportunity to try out a ThiEye i60+ 4k camera and it was actually pretty good. I still haven't had chance to get on a bike yet..so not sure how it works on that, but I took my cycle out with the kids for a ride, attached the i60+ to the handlebars in 1080/60 and the quality was very good. It is wide angle as others, so the FOV is good. The only issue I had is that unless the ground is super smooth, it does pick up even the smallest of bumps..so the footage is quite shaky (but good quality shaky lol). I think mounted on a helmet would be much better..so i'll try that soon too. I don't have an external mic yet to try but i'll try that once I get one!

I also bought a Git Up 2 pro (from amazon warehouse) and that arrived yesterday..i had a quick play and it looks great, better imo than the i60+ because it has video stabilisation with a gyro sensor. You lose a bit of FOV in that though, so I'll compare side by side to show the differences, and again will do helmet mounted at some point..think I'll do full reviews of them later on (I have an SJCam SJ4000 I can use to review too although it is quite old, it's been a proper workhorse!)

Reactions: HippoDrone

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Going with the cheapest route may not be the best route if you have to make huge compromises. What you need to do is highlight which things to prioritize, and which you can afford to be "cheap" about.

Having a proper camera and microphone, to me, is the top priority. Without this you will suffer quality is video and audio which can easily put people off from viewing, because viewers nowadays are pampered and don't know what it's like to watch 360p videos that vibrate like in the old days. All I can say for this is Hero7 Black, and a good microphone (branded) and works well with the Hero7 (along with the GoPro mic adapter). Set it to 1080p @ 60 fps and leave it that way you won't have to think so much on that.

Next is mounting/positioning, for that you may opt to go cheap and get the China imitations or such.

Video editor is your call, if you are starting out maybe try some of the freeware ones before you commit to a paid software.

I see that you've already gotten some equipment so hopefully they will serve you well for your needs.

Dnljmrs

Dr Dan
Apr 13, 2020
South Wales
www.danielmorse.me.uk
I ride a
Suzuki GSX650f (K8)
Going with the cheapest route may not be the best route if you have to make huge compromises. What you need to do is highlight which things to prioritize, and which you can afford to be "cheap" about.

Having a proper camera and microphone, to me, is the top priority. Without this you will suffer quality is video and audio which can easily put people off from viewing, because viewers nowadays are pampered and don't know what it's like to watch 360p videos that vibrate like in the old days. All I can say for this is Hero7 Black, and a good microphone (branded) and works well with the Hero7 (along with the GoPro mic adapter). Set it to 1080p @ 60 fps and leave it that way you won't have to think so much on that.

Next is mounting/positioning, for that you may opt to go cheap and get the China imitations or such.

Video editor is your call, if you are starting out maybe try some of the freeware ones before you commit to a paid software.

I see that you've already gotten some equipment so hopefully they will serve you well for your needs.
Good advice, thanks!
I can't afford a gopro 7 and mic adapter atm, so that will have to wait lol. Others recommended the gitup2, and so far it looks like a decent choice.. So we'll see in the coming weeks /months ☺

Reactions: SighBored

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I tried a bunch of free editors before uploading my first video. Open Shot, Shotcut, Blender, and some others too. I went with Shotcut and it's what I've used for the past two months. I like it, I'm sure some paid software is more capable but Shotcut is more than enough for the videos I'm creating.

KrustyBoot

Become one with the Krustyness
Jun 8, 2020
East Anglia, UK.
I ride a
All the shit bikes! :)
Good advice, thanks!
I can't afford a gopro 7 and mic adapter atm, so that will have to wait lol. Others recommended the gitup2, and so far it looks like a decent choice.. So we'll see in the coming weeks /months ☺

I have a gitup 2, I don't record a lot and it is OK for the price I paid for it. The video can be a bit mushy and you will definitley want an external mic for it though. I think eventually I will invest in a go pro and make the git up my 2nd camera so I can have two angles. The best thing about the Gitup 2 is that if it somehow got destroyed while using it I wouldn't loose any sleep over it and that means I'm happy to put the camera in harms way to try and get a good shot. :)

Dnljmrs

Dr Dan
Apr 13, 2020
South Wales
www.danielmorse.me.uk
I ride a
Suzuki GSX650f (K8)
I have a gitup 2, I don't record a lot and it is OK for the price I paid for it. The video can be a bit mushy and you will definitley want an external mic for it though. I think eventually I will invest in a go pro and make the git up my 2nd camera so I can have two angles. The best thing about the Gitup 2 is that if it somehow got destroyed while using it I wouldn't loose any sleep over it and that means I'm happy to put the camera in harms way to try and get a good shot. :)
Good call actually.. It's a great little camera for the money so far, very pleased. Any recommendations for external mic? And I've seen some vids of manipulating the case to get a mic in, but concerned about waterproofing in the lovely British weather

Reactions: KrustyBoot

KrustyBoot

Jun 8, 2020
East Anglia, UK.
I ride a
Good call actually.. It's a great little camera for the money so far, very pleased. Any recommendations for external mic? And I've seen some vids of manipulating the case to get a mic in, but concerned about waterproofing in the lovely British weather

I don't use the waterproof case, I just risk it with the open frame mount and if it rains heavily I put the camera in my pocket. TBH all your going to see in the rain is droplets hitting the lense and running off. For the Mic I just bought a USB type B lavalier Mic and stuck it to the inside of my helmet. I have the mic set to the lowest setting in the camera settings and I have 2 covers over the mic to help supress the wind noise a bit. I basically just tried to make a basic set up with the least amount of faffing because there is already a lot of faff involved in getting out on the bike and if its hard work I won't bother. Also I used Sugru to attach the go pro mount to the chin of my helmet because there was no way to use the standard 3M sticky pads on the chin area of my helmet as there are a lot of contours. Hope some of that helps! :) Here are some pictures that might explain it better than me.

mount.jpg
mic.jpg
camera.jpg

Dnljmrs

Dr Dan
Apr 13, 2020
South Wales
www.danielmorse.me.uk
I ride a
Suzuki GSX650f (K8)
I don't use the waterproof case, I just risk it with the open frame mount and if it rains heavily I put the camera in my pocket. TBH all your going to see in the rain is droplets hitting the lense and running off. For the Mic I just bought a USB type B lavalier Mic and stuck it to the inside of my helmet. I have the mic set to the lowest setting in the camera settings and I have 2 covers over the mic to help supress the wind noise a bit. I basically just tried to make a basic set up with the least amount of faffing because there is already a lot of faff involved in getting out on the bike and if its hard work I won't bother. Also I used Sugru to attach the go pro mount to the chin of my helmet because there was no way to use the standard 3M sticky pads on the chin area of my helmet as there are a lot of contours. Hope some of that helps! :) Here are some pictures that might explain it better than me.

View attachment 4995View attachment 4996View attachment 4997
Absolutely does, thanks so much!

KrustyBoot

Jun 8, 2020
East Anglia, UK.
I ride a
Absolutely does, thanks so much!

After fiddling around with editing today I found that I was actually able to get slightly better video out of the Gitup 2. I just wanted to let you know. :) In an earlier post you mentioned you were still waiting for your bike. Did you get out on the road yet?

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton + Harley Lowrider
A lot of them are using the same Sony sensors that the big boys (DJI, GoPro, ...Sony...) do, just an older generation.

The IMX117 in the SJCAM/GitUp cameras is the one also in the Hero 3/4/5.

Dnljmrs

Dr Dan
Apr 13, 2020
South Wales
www.danielmorse.me.uk
I ride a
Suzuki GSX650f (K8)
After fiddling around with editing today I found that I was actually able to get slightly better video out of the Gitup 2. I just wanted to let you know. :) In an earlier post you mentioned you were still waiting for your bike. Did you get out on the road yet?
Not yet :(. My CBT was booked for the 24th March..and on the 23rd lockdown happened, so I'm just sat waiting for things to start back up. Then I'll do DAS as soon as I can with them after that. I've had to use leg power to try out the cameras on my cycle lol (which has also given up the ghost in typical fashion!)

KrustyBoot

Jun 8, 2020
East Anglia, UK.
I ride a
Not yet :(. My CBT was booked for the 24th March..and on the 23rd lockdown happened, so I'm just sat waiting for things to start back up. Then I'll do DAS as soon as I can with them after that. I've had to use leg power to try out the cameras on my cycle lol (which has also given up the ghost in typical fashion!)

My girlfriend is in the same boat as you with the CBT, hopefully it won't be too long now! I recommend getting stuck in and making a video with what you have filmed on your bicycle you will learn a hell of a lot in the first few videos! :)

Reactions: Dnljmrs

Dnljmrs

Dr Dan
Apr 13, 2020
South Wales
www.danielmorse.me.uk
I ride a
Suzuki GSX650f (K8)
So finally have an update on this! A couple of weeks ago I passed my cbt (yay, go me lol) and now I have a date for mod 1 . Training with a school in Cardiff who suggested one day training and then mod 1, so that's booked for the 11/13th Aug! Then we will look at mod 2 dates and book training in for that beforehand. Progress at last!!

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
So finally have an update on this! A couple of weeks ago I passed my cbt (yay, go me lol) and now I have a date for mod 1 . Training with a school in Cardiff who suggested one day training and then mod 1, so that's booked for the 11/13th Aug! Then we will look at mod 2 dates and book training in for that beforehand. Progress at last!!
Awesome to hear! :)

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts