Everyone's worst nightmare is.....

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton + Harley Lowrider
It's interesting. It uses the exact same image sensor (Sony IMX277) as the Hero 6 and Hero 7, and the same processor and base board as the 7 - meaning that any stability problems with the 6 and 7 (which there are a lot of) but are fixed in the 8 could be fixed in software for those two devices, but they won't...

Also means any quality differences between the 7 and 8 could also be changed in code, but....

Personally, look at other manufacturers and stop supporting one which so blatantly shafts the consumer.

The IMX277 is also capable on 120fps @ 4K but not enabled for the Hero 8, so my bets are a Hero 9 with AMAZING NEW CAPABILITIES which are just a change in software code, not some amazing new feature they've baked in. That said maybe the current processor isn't capable of processing those bandwidths and they need to get a new one in there or something, so who knows won't know until it's released and they tear it down...

Last edited:

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I think memory card technology often holds back the cameras, and even some motorbike manufacturers have kit fitted as standard that you can't use unless you pay a premium for a USB dongle to enable the software (KTM).
The 9 is sort of due out in the next few months, so maybe worth hanging on till then to see if they drop the price of the 8 a bit! :)

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
I wonder, if the hardware differences are not significant, then could one maybe flash the old device with the new software? Would the camera be better or unusable brick after that?

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
It was rumoured that you could do that with the GoPro Hero 4 Session to get it to the Hero 5 Session specs... but no idea if there was any truth to that.

Reactions: ADX and YBGuy

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
I wonder, if the hardware differences are not significant, then could one maybe flash the old device with the new software? Would the camera be better or unusable brick after that?

Some you can. The "Hero 2018" is literally a Hero 5 Black with gimped firmware. Flashing it with Hero 5 Black firmware gives you back 2.7K, 4K and all the functionality of a 5 Black.

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Just run it off a battery pack, my Hero 4's battery is so old and used now I only get ~15 minutes out of it, but on the battery pack it does for days

Reactions: ADX and YBGuy

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
Just run it off a battery pack, my Hero 4's battery is so old and used now I only get ~15 minutes out of it, but on the battery pack it does for days
Wow, that sounds awesome Web, which pack do you use for your Hero4 and where do you mount it?

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Wow, that sounds awesome Web, which pack do you use for your Hero4 and where do you mount it?

If i'm on the Harley, it has a USB port with 5V out so I just connect it to that.

Otherwise it's connected to either a poundland USB bank or the power bank for my camera (JuiceBox MagicPower 2.0)

I use one of these as it's much more secure than the USB port: battery-eliminator-hero-port

Also leaves the USB port free for external mic... but if you have a later camera well you have no choice.

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
If i'm on the Harley, it has a USB port with 5V out so I just connect it to that.

Otherwise it's connected to either a poundland USB bank or the power bank for my camera (JuiceBox MagicPower 2.0)

I use one of these as it's much more secure than the USB port: battery-eliminator-hero-port

Also leaves the USB port free for external mic... but if you have a later camera well you have no choice.
That's cool, sounds like you have a few different options to choose from.

Reactions: ADX

City Bob

Immature Amateur
Jun 30, 2020
London, UK
I ride a
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Dropped my brand new 7 today when getting back from a ride, havent had the courage to test it yet and it was hard on a concrete floor but outside looks okay. I will be so gutted...

ADX

Wannabie Member
Aug 21, 2020
New Jersey
I ride a
Honda CBR600 F4i
Dropped my brand new 7 today when getting back from a ride, havent had the courage to test it yet and it was hard on a concrete floor but outside looks okay. I will be so gutted...
i saw something on amazon that looked like a fishing rod just in case the mount fails you got like a safety bck up. I am going to buy it and see how it turns out lol

Reactions: YBGuy and City Bob

City Bob

Immature Amateur
Jun 30, 2020
London, UK
I ride a
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
i saw something on amazon that looked like a fishing rod just in case the mount fails you got like a safety bck up. I am going to buy it and see how it turns out lol

You can get teethers which I used to use on my mini pickup when I had the GoPro mounted on the outside.

I had a mount fail on my helmet once. Luckily the GoPro (the 4 black) was saved by the mic wire! I managed to pull off the fast A road and save it.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts