Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
You guys are quite helpful, but there's one thing I'm missing... so I'll go through my process and look for improvements:

Notes: I shoot with 1 GoPro Hero 8, with Media Mod and a Purple Panda mic. Editing in Windows on DaVinci Resolve 16.

Steps:

1. Record footage (1-3 hours of riding)
2. Copy to external HDD
3. Create new project in DR
4. Import intro titles
5. Import footage
6. Go through footage for rough clips (takes 1-2x the length of footage recorded)
7. Review again for finer edits
8. Scrap about 60% of what's left because it doesn't pertain to the story I want to tell, or it's just boring
9. Go ride again to get better footage, start again at Step 1.
10. If OK footage and content, add transitions, text overlays, etc.
11. Find and add music
12. Render and review again and again, with minor changes
13. Final render
14. Post to YouTube
15. Realize I just spent 5-15 hours in the editor to get a 5-10 minute video
16. Wonder to myself why I do this?

Any tips on how to record less footage to speed up the editing process? At this point I'm thinking about buying the GoPro smart remote to start/stop recording easier than reaching up and hitting the button on my camera. May also save time because I can record, stop recording, and then turn off the GoPro to save battery life.

I do find that turning off the GoPro seems to stop its internal clock, so would this be a problem?

Sorry for the stupidity, I'm new to all this.

-John

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
The clock should still work, that would only fail if you removed the battery surely?

If I am on a long ride, then I will normally start and stop the camera when the roads get interesting and try to keep my talking to the nice bits of road. In the past I ran a battery bank to my Hero 5 session, so would then record the whole ride and edit down, but that is very slow. Much easier to do the vlog on a shorter ride if it is a topic, or if the vlog is of a long trip, then just record the good bits of it.

Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
The clock should still work, that would only fail if you removed the battery surely?

If I am on a long ride, then I will normally start and stop the camera when the roads get interesting and try to keep my talking to the nice bits of road. In the past I ran a battery bank to my Hero 5 session, so would then record the whole ride and edit down, but that is very slow. Much easier to do the vlog on a shorter ride if it is a topic, or if the vlog is of a long trip, then just record the good bits of it.

So, to stop and start the camera, do you use a Smart Remote or something similar? With gloves on, it's nearly impossible for me to turn the camera on and off reliably (I tried practicing, and gave up on that idea).

I think the Remote idea would work better - then I could record just what I wanted. I figure I'll miss out on those "quick things" like obstacles in the road or bad drivers cutting me off, but in the end I think it would be worth it. Does anyone know if the Smart Remote does like a "Quick Capture" like the camera has, where pressing the shutter button starts recording?

-John

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I don't use the remote, have just gotten used to where the buttons are and hope I don't double tap them or miss them lol :D
The newHero 9 has bigger buttons, which tempts me, but I am waiting on the Ulanzi door to come out for that before I bite the bullet on it.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I don't use the remote, have just gotten used to where the buttons are and hope I don't double tap them or miss them lol :D
The newHero 9 has bigger buttons, which tempts me, but I am waiting on the Ulanzi door to come out for that before I bite the bullet on it.

Good to know!

Also, the Ulanzi door is out, if what I saw the other day is true. Sorry, not sorry ;)

-John

Reactions: HippoDrone

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I try to structure my videos before I ride. I think about what I’d like to say or discuss, and then aim for that. When possible I’m open to talking about other topics, but generally those moments get cut If they feel like the line of thinking is ambling. Logging the footage helps to review and consider connections between moments, both on visual, and commentary levels. Having more cameras, or cut always helps the editing process and rhythm.

- Wolf

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I try to structure my videos before I ride. I think about what I’d like to say or discuss, and then aim for that. When possible I’m open to talking about other topics, but generally those moments get cut If they feel like the line of thinking is ambling. Logging the footage helps to review and consider connections between moments, both on visual, and commentary levels. Having more cameras, or cut always helps the editing process and rhythm.

- Wolf

What do you mean when you say "logging the footage"? Is that going through a first review where you watch it all and take notes?

-John

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
Yes. I log what I’m saying or doing that may be visually interesting based on a time index. So for example I might write:

0:00 - 1:36

Pullout of garage, make general introductions and note that it’s getting cold in the mornings. Maneuver around a pile of fallen leaves, and make commentary about them as road hazards for the months ahead. Get a good shot of the morning sun through a grove of trees.

——————

If I really like a moment I put 1-3 asterisks next to the log entry as something to look for when going back over my notes as a good edit point, or montage material.

-Wolf

L. Bilious

Huge member
Aug 2, 2019
North Cheshire/South Manchester
I ride a
CBR1100, GSXR750, XR250
I think I need to up my game.
My work flow is like this....

Go out for a ride and record it.
A few days later pull the card from the camera and put it in a named file on my laptop.
Open Premiere Elements 14 and load the files.
Get distracted by social media.
2 days later, watch the first file and do first rough cuts. Go and cook evening meal.
Next weekend, watch other people's vlogs.
4 or 5 days later edit the next file.
More social media distraction.
More watching other people's vlogs.
Upload another ride to my laptop.
Panic.
Edit more files into some sort of a vlog.
Try to polish the turd, add any comments or music over the vlog.
Render.
A week later sort thumbnail, upload to youtube and schedule.
Get miffed that I get practically no views.
:)

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Yes. I log what I’m saying or doing that may be visually interesting based on a time index. So for example I might write:

0:00 - 1:36

Pullout of garage, make general introductions and note that it’s getting cold in the mornings. Maneuver around a pile of fallen leaves, and make commentary about them as road hazards for the months ahead. Get a good shot of the morning sun through a grove of trees.

——————

If I really like a moment I put 1-3 asterisks next to the log entry as something to look for when going back over my notes as a good edit point, or montage material.

-Wolf

I did that for a 5-hour ride once... and reviewed the 94 video files I left myself (I stopped/started recording before or after something interesting I said or saw). I cut half of them right there.

My last ride, about 2.5 hours, I did nothing but let it record the whole time and then brought it into Resolve to edit, and it took 3 hours to cut 2.5 hours to 35 mins. The next day it took about an hour to cut 10 mins from that footage and do some quick edits and text overlays.

I'm seriously looking into the GoPro Smart Remote to make my recording more efficient. In the mean time, I have enabled Quick Capture on the camera so I can reach up to turn on & start recording.

If I get a chance to ride tomorrow I'll try that out.

-John

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I have enabled Quick Capture on the camera so I can reach up to turn on & start recording.

If I get a chance to ride tomorrow I'll try that out.

-John
Depending on which camera you have and it's firmware version, you may find you lose audio doing that if using the GoPro mic adaptor!

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Depending on which camera you have and it's firmware version, you may find you lose audio doing that if using the GoPro mic adaptor!

Wow, thanks for the info - I'll have to test it first!

-John

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
If it causes issues, turn on the camera at the side, then just use the record button to start/stop the recording. That is all the remote does.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
If it causes issues, turn on the camera at the side, then just use the record button to start/stop the recording. That is all the remote does.

Yeah, that's what I tried a couple of times. Hopefully this week I'll get a chance to ride and test some things out :)

The remote also allows you to turn the camera on and off, which should extend battery life for me, since I could turn it off during boring parts of the ride. With a wrist strap, I should be able to operate it at lights or something while riding. I was thinking of hooking it on my jacket, since there are velcro adjustments there. Then it's not dangling in the way of my controls, and I can grab it on the go to check battery life and such.

-John

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
Late to the party with this thread but my process is...

Commence duty
Get a big cup of tea
Load all video folders from various camera sources into Adobe Premiere Pro.
Load title into workload
Watch videos in turn from one source at a time, cut out the chuff and put into time line.
Watch next source and slice in to break up the original footage.
Decide on decent soundtrack

Undoubtedly during the process pretend to be doing my actual job a few times. Do what is required then send footage to render and encode.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Late to the party with this thread but my process is...

Commence duty
Get a big cup of tea
Load all video folders from various camera sources into Adobe Premiere Pro.
Load title into workload
Watch videos in turn from one source at a time, cut out the chuff and put into time line.
Watch next source and slice in to break up the original footage.
Decide on decent soundtrack

Undoubtedly during the process pretend to be doing my actual job a few times. Do what is required then send footage to render and encode.

That's a nice process, very similar to mine...

How long would you say it takes you from start to finish on a "per hour of footage" basis?

Right now, if I take 2 hours of footage, it probably takes me 6-8 hours to get it into watchable form (so 3-4 hours, if I was answering my own question, but I typically take 2-3 hours of footage per ride, so I've given the info in both ways).

-John

Reactions: HRMV

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Also, I ordered the Smart Remote (Amazon had same-day delivery by 10PM, we'll see if that works!)

-John

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
That's a nice process, very similar to mine...

How long would you say it takes you from start to finish on a "per hour of footage" basis?

Right now, if I take 2 hours of footage, it probably takes me 6-8 hours to get it into watchable form (so 3-4 hours, if I was answering my own question, but I typically take 2-3 hours of footage per ride, so I've given the info in both ways).

-John
Honestly too long.... When doing our tour stuff I record everything so have hundreds of GB to go through.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Reize Editing Talk 6

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts