Drift 4k: My experiences

Ashbrook

Wannabie Member
Jan 4, 2019
I ride a
Vespa GTS
So I got a Drift 4k for Christmas and I managed to mount it to the side of my modular helmet (a Nolan N-105 by the way). All looks good and generates great video at 1080 and 60fps. I've noticed that in order to use the tagging feature, which seems like the best way to capture the sort of footage I require, I have to turn things on in a very specific order.
Initially one has to set the camera up to allow video tagging, I prefer setting the interval to 1 minute so one gets 2 mins of footage each time. Then I turn the camera on by holding the power button down until it beeps, after that I have to tap the remote control big button (to turn it on?). Finally I press the same button on the remote control to actually initiate the tagged recording.
For me at least, any deviation to the pathway above results in a lack of footage being recorded.
I'd be interested if anyone else has experience with this particular camera.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
is that an easier solution than recording for the full ride and then editing out the bits you don't want? :)

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
Don't use the tagging feature its unreliable at best.

Buy some decent sized memory cards and record everything.

Also interested to know why your only using it at 1080?

Ashbrook

Wannabie Member
Jan 4, 2019
I ride a
Vespa GTS
Don't use the tagging feature its unreliable at best.

Buy some decent sized memory cards and record everything.

Also interested to know why your only using it at 1080?
I was fed up with having hours of footage to edit/find the odd interesting bits. This way my 64k card will last for months before I need to clear it. I thought it would be best to start at the lowest resolution and see if the footage was acceptable and it is!
Will try at higher resolutions just to see if it's that much better.

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
So I got a Drift 4k for Christmas and I managed to mount it to the side of my modular helmet (a Nolan N-105 by the way). All looks good and generates great video at 1080 and 60fps. I've noticed that in order to use the tagging feature, which seems like the best way to capture the sort of footage I require, I have to turn things on in a very specific order.
Initially one has to set the camera up to allow video tagging, I prefer setting the interval to 1 minute so one gets 2 mins of footage each time. Then I turn the camera on by holding the power button down until it beeps, after that I have to tap the remote control big button (to turn it on?). Finally I press the same button on the remote control to actually initiate the tagged recording.
For me at least, any deviation to the pathway above results in a lack of footage being recorded.
I'd be interested if anyone else has experience with this particular camera.

What about using a remote for it as far as start/stop record?

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I pretty much gave up using my remote sometime ago. It's too twitchy, and risky when I'm riding. I agree, just get a good SD card. capture everything and then edit what you want. At least you'll avoid the regret of missing something cool while riding.

- Wolf

LoneWally

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
I ride a
2007 Hartford HD125L, 2013 Honda CB500X
I've never used the remote that came with S. On my old SJCAM I used to have it record at 5 min intervals. It would then delete the old footage and replace it with the new stuff. On my S i just leave it to record

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R

That is how i used to do it.
So i always knew it happend somewhere in the last minute or so.

And my old remote was tapped to the bike, so rain, snow, wind, freezing temps etc etc all year round.
After 3 years the first problems came. New remotes seem to have way more problems sadly enough, so i quit using it.
I can do it with my glove in summertime anyway, so that helps ;)
In wintertime i keep my glove in front of the lens for a couple of seconds, finding the black screen back is easy when scrolling through the footage.

Reactions: HippoDrone

Ashbrook

Wannabie Member
Jan 4, 2019
I ride a
Vespa GTS
I use the remote to initiate the tagging feature. I think the software has been updated recently and the reliability issues have been sorted out-It certainly works well for me. Just means that I have about a minute to decide if that pigeon i almost hit was worthy of watching again!

Ashbrook

Wannabie Member
Jan 4, 2019
I ride a
Vespa GTS
Have now had a few months to play with my Drift cameras (yes I bought another one!).
Have ditched the remote as it's difficult to know whether it actually works each time I press it.
A better solution I have found is to make a pronounced 'nipple' out of Sugru on the top of the front button making it easy to find with my gloves on. See attached pic.

Last edited by a moderator:

PatioChair

Wannabie Member
Mar 7, 2019
I ride a
BMW R1200GS
Ducatis 848 SF
Have now had a few months to play with my Drift cameras (yes I bought another one!).
Have ditched the remote as it's difficult to know whether it actually works each time I press it.
A better solution I have found is to make a pronounced 'nipple' out of Sugru on the top of the front button making it easy to find with my gloves on. See attached pic.

View attachment 4079
A damned fine idea.

Reactions: HippoDrone

Bloomeanie

Wannabie Member
Jun 24, 2019
I ride a
Yamaha FZ1
On my Drift Ghost I turned the mike off, due to wind noise, and I just set it (manually) recording when setting off, but on 4k I have it set to Car DVD, at 10 mins, so it starts when ignition on, (cable connection to USB port), I mute the sound and when editing add my own choice of music - all this for runs of about an hour or more, sometimes an all-day trip.
My problem is I can`t connect the Life app on my S8 phone to the camera!!!

Riderguide

Neil - The Rider Guider
Feb 24, 2019
South Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha Tenere 700 T7
I'm proper gadget'd up at the moment 2 x Ghost X's (for the cloning) and a Sony FDRX3000 I bought not long ago to do some extra nice quality video once I get the hang of it. I was warned off the Ghost 4K by the distributor!!! Too many returns they said. I have 128GB cards all round and one of the Drifts has a mahoosive eight hour battery. If anything happens I take a mental note of it to try remember where it was so I can scroll straight to. Other than that I don't mind scrolling through most of my videos later, I think I need to get a life :D

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts