Does anyone here Motovlog on YouTube for a living?

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
So I had a discussion with a viewer earlier this week, she saw my 1000 subs vid and wanted to know if I plan to make a living from YouTube money and if so how hard is it to do that. In my vid I sarcastically made fun of how little YT pays motovloggers, but I told her for real it's uncommon for someone to make enough money from YT to earn a living wage, and for a small niche like motovlogging it's even rarer.

However, it's not impossible, some people do make enough from YT to live off of.

This got me wondering, does anyone here actually do motovlogging full time, like as a career, and earn enough to live from it alone? I must admit the sound of it appeals to me, maybe it's not as difficult or rare as I think it is? :confused:

• Haha
Reactions: MachKneel

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
We have a good few members who now are full time, or at least have large enough channels to make a considerable difference to their life financially. Obviously only a few members compared to the total membership are regular posters, but this forum has been going a while now and not all members post anymore, although some do check back in on occasion :)

MachKneel

Insta : @flex_and_freedom
Mar 23, 2021
Co.Derry, Ireland
I ride a
Harley Davidson Softail 2021, Yamaha R6 2005
We have a good few members who now are full time, or at least have large enough channels to make a considerable difference to their life financially. Obviously only a few members compared to the total membership are regular posters, but this forum has been going a while now and not all members post anymore, although some do check back in on occasion :)

That is so cool!

I mean, when we started this it was because we love bikes, I am a huge tech nerd, and no one in our local area in Ireland does it so we thought, why not...and why not us?!

But to be amongst greatness...that's crazy! We are buzzing with our first 2 out of 3 vids hitting 3k views and 50 subs :D:D:D

When I look at the channels that are pro that I follow, really their content is very...achievable, or ''doable'...if you know what I mean...

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Good question! I'd love to some day, but don't know anyone who does. I have some statistics from a YouTuber with <10k subs, he showed me how much $$$ he makes per month... and it ain't great. You need a TON of subs or multiple income streams in order to make a dent in your finances with YT as the vehicle to push the other streams.

I will share this, though: I have an Amazon Affiliate account and an associated blog site that I have to pay for hosting on... and has Google ads on it... and if my growth continues at its current pace, I might make a few hundred dollars this year off of vlogging.

If you do some back of the napkin math on my hourly rate, given my "income" from my 2 streams ... I make about $.25/hour.

-John

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I'm no where near making a living from it.
Not even close to working fewer hours at my fulltime job yet.

But i did made the youtube into a business, mainly so i could get the taxes back from buying the GoPro. xD

I wish I would've done that... oh, the money I've wasted spent on this hobby of ours!

-John

nophix

Where's my coffee?
Apr 15, 2012
Stevens Point WI
I ride a
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
I have a pretty lucrative career I don't think I could leave, but if I could get the channel to offset the costs of my motorcycle obsession a bit....

So, if I log it as an actual business, do you think I could write off a new bike as a business expense? Lol!

That said, I may start doing it full time when I retire from my current job. Only 15 more years! lol

Baldbiker

L Plate Member
Mar 7, 2021
I ride a
Africa Twin DCT
The only one I can think of that worked hard at this and got to the point of a full time income, was Walteriffic, who was one of the originals that really made motovlogging a thing. It took him several years, and he has a particular talent for interacting with people, holding your attention and expressing an absorbing personality. As we used to say in the music business, musicians will always be broke, it's the entertainers that make the money.

I look at this as a hobby, but as with any of my hobbies, it's nice to generate a little bit of income just to keep me motivated. It's like my drone photography business, which gets like 3-5 gigs a year. I make nothing from it, but it's a legitimate registered business and gets me a nice writeoff and tax refund each year on any drone expenses I incur over the year.

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
The only one I can think of that worked hard at this and got to the point of a full time income, was Walteriffic, who was one of the originals that really made motovlogging a thing. It took him several years, and he has a particular talent for interacting with people, holding your attention and expressing an absorbing personality.

Walter is certainly one of the most successful motovloggers financially but there are a few others who also make living wage levels from motovlogging. Itchy Boots for sure, Royal Jordanian too, Missenden Flyer, Blockhead as well, even Her Two Wheels is getting very close after only one year. I'd say all of them have worked hard as well, but maybe not as long as Walter has.

mymotorrad

Wannabie Member
Mar 26, 2021
Fountain Hills AZ
www.mymotorrad.com
I ride a
2009 R1200RT
Walter is certainly one of the most successful motovloggers financially but there are a few others who also make living wage levels from motovlogging. Itchy Boots for sure, Royal Jordanian too, Missenden Flyer, Blockhead as well, even Her Two Wheels is getting very close after only one year. I'd say all of them have worked hard as well, but maybe not as long as Walter has.

There are a lot of factors to success in anything. Great book about these kinds of things is Outliers, but Gladwell. Hard work matters a lot, but it's not the only factor in success. Lots of folks work hard if you know what I mean. YT and social media in general is quite a black box too. After watching The Social Dilemma and Zeynep Tufekci's ted talk on building a dystopia on ad clicks, I have to question myself for even participating in this. Yet another side of this is what you don't see with the people that are successful. we see what they present in a 2D format. What's behind the curtain, the amount of time they spend on it, the consequences with family if they have one and personal relationships etc, is an unknown. It's like when people look at a Jobs or Bezos or some other uber successful person and think if I read a book about/by them I can be successful like they were. It kind of gives short shrift to the whole story. For instance, for the times I tried to do 2-3 craptastic vids in a week, my wife got pissed. If I dedicated the time some of those folks do, I'd be in divorce court. So there has to be a high tolerance to dedication/obsession for all involved. Sorry for the rant, but I think that the whole story is a lot more interesting, detailed and nuanced.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Haha, my wife gets mad at me all the time for the amount of time/energy/money I put into this "hobby" ...

Still hasn't divorced me, or even threatened it. But you're right - if you put a ton of energy into it, that energy has to come from somewhere. I am way behind on my "Watch Later" queue on YT, my DVR, and sleep.

If I find myself unemployed any time in the near future, however, I will put at least 8 or 9 hours a day into it and see if I can't make a go of it money-wise. At least until I find another job.

-John

Reactions: Renee MARR

mymotorrad

Wannabie Member
Mar 26, 2021
Fountain Hills AZ
www.mymotorrad.com
I ride a
2009 R1200RT
Haha, my wife gets mad at me all the time for the amount of time/energy/money I put into this "hobby" ...

Still hasn't divorced me, or even threatened it. But you're right - if you put a ton of energy into it, that energy has to come from somewhere. I am way behind on my "Watch Later" queue on YT, my DVR, and sleep.

If I find myself unemployed any time in the near future, however, I will put at least 8 or 9 hours a day into it and see if I can't make a go of it money-wise. At least until I find another job.

-John

That would make sense as you have the time...But working and everything else, IDK. Gotta sleep sometime. I burned myself out when I got my MS in 2007. I would wait until the kids went to sleep and then did my school work, sometimes to 3am and then go to work normally. One, it was only a year and half, two, I was a lot younger. Now, I couldn't do that anymore. If I don't get at least 6 hours, it's F'd up. Anyway, I think you're doing great, but my wife has a low tolerance for my hobbies. If I don't have one, she's like why don't you do something, then when I do and I get into it, why are you spending so much time on it...Can't win.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
That would make sense as you have the time...But working and everything else, IDK. Gotta sleep sometime. I burned myself out when I got my MS in 2007. I would wait until the kids went to sleep and then did my school work, sometimes to 3am and then go to work normally. One, it was only a year and half, two, I was a lot younger. Now, I couldn't do that anymore. If I don't get at least 6 hours, it's F'd up. Anyway, I think you're doing great, but my wife has a low tolerance for my hobbies. If I don't have one, she's like why don't you do something, then when I do and I get into it, why are you spending so much time on it...Can't win.

Yeah, having a job right now is a bummer ... less time than I want for editing my videos. My wife is always b***hing about my hobbies, but now she has one of her own, so I get a few nights here and there to work on it, and about an hour or so after she goes to bed :D

I'm super blessed too, to have my mom ... she watches the kids for part or most of the day on the weekends, so I get some editing and riding time there. Mostly it's riding time, with dumping the video files to my computer and starting the rough cut.

-John

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Nope. In order to do this for a living you have to do that "influencer" lifestyle and always trying to stay in trend. Good for those that thrive on being social and popular.

I think I've mentioned it before, but I don't believe in the saying of making your hobby as your job. If you make riding and making videos your job and not a hobby, no matter what you say now, eventually it will become a job. You will start thinking and worrying about how to continue making content and making sure the money streams in, bills get paid, etc.

That's my opinion anyway.

Arfa

Beginner Biker Adventures
Nov 17, 2020
London
www.beginnerbiker.com
I ride a
Yamaha FZ6
It's a tough one to make big bucks in this game. As mentioned, there's a whole tonne of hard work that goes into things and it can take its toll on life/family etc. On the plus side, a lot of the work can be done by dipping in and out as you like, fitting around whatever you have on. Less so the editing, but more the social media, blogging, SEO and so on.

You do also need to have your fingers in many pies, hedge your bets, don't stick all your eggs in one basket, yadayada... I don't earn anything on YT, but a bit from a number of affiliate schemes, Adsense, ebay partner network, sponsored posts etc. I've a couple of sites, the biking one is the main one and others I've only kept for their residual income. Nonetheless, I'm managing over a grand a year income (not including kit sent for review). More than covers hosting costs, domain name, software, etc. and then covers any gadgets or computer gear I need - yep, all business expenses which helps tax-wise. Some financial years I make a big loss if I have to purchase a lot of camera or computer gear for the work. Ho-hum.

Reactions: Renee MARR

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
I think I've mentioned it before, but I don't believe in the saying of making your hobby as your job. If you make riding and making videos your job and not a hobby, no matter what you say now, eventually it will become a job. You will start thinking and worrying about how to continue making content and making sure the money streams in, bills get paid, etc.

That's my opinion anyway.

I agree, I like my channel being small. I really don't want to make ads for sponsors, I'd much rather keep doing my fun pace of one video per week, making the videos I want to make not have to make.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts