Do you believe there is a sweet spot for vlog length ?

CVentures

Rookie Rider
Aug 28, 2020
Maine
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2017 Beta 300RR
Just curious if you feel there is a sweet spot in terms of length of your videos you upload to YT. Engagement statistics tell you how long your average view was etc. Wondering if anyone really breaks these down and edits accordingly?

Example: if your videos are averaging 15mins per vid but your average watch time is 10mins, should one consider trying to edit videos down to 10mins or how to you look at this example?

Reactions: YBGuy

Teh Purp

Friendly Neighbourhood Idiot
Aug 9, 2020
SCOTLAND!
I ride a
SFV650, NC700x, anything im given
Totally depends on the topic, if you can stret h out "this is how I turn on a light switch" for 20 minutes great, and if you can explain a whole technical subject in 3 minutes that's great too. It's more about keeping it interesting and somewhat reliant(I struggle with that)

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
If you are getting 10min average watch time on a 15min vid, you are doing fantastically and I'd stick with what you are doing. The way I see it is if folk are on average watching over 50% then it is doing well.
I have made some shorter vids around 5min long, and yes, they do get a higher % view length, but overall often get less watch time compared to a longer video.
I would prefer to post a 10min video than a 20min or 5min video, but my videos do vary in length from 5-30min

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
In the older days i tried to stay under the 10min mark, as people often are of short attention span.
Then youtubers and everybody that kicks off algorithms told that youtube prefers the 10-20 min mark for videos.
So most people went for 10+ minutes.

Nowadays, i often just edit it as it feels right. If it is 6 1/2 min then that is fine, if it is 15 min then that is fine.
I do try to keep it under the 20 min mark, even for grouprides etc, only exemption are reviews.
Otherwise, i just cut shorter, or make 2 vids out of it ;)

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I try to keep mine between 10-15 minutes, but honestly I have a hard time keeping them down that low. I often have to trim TONS of footage from my motovlogs, I ramble more than I ever thought I would!

City Bob

Immature Amateur
Jun 30, 2020
London, UK
I ride a
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
I always find the ideal length an interesting subject....

(Come on someone had to lower the tone! We was all thinking it!)

Aaaasnyway...!

Personally I just tell my story. It takes as long as it takes. If it's 15min + I'll think to myself, is this better as a 2 part video. Other than that, it's as long or short as it needs to be!

I would love to know what everyone else's average watch time is though! I'll show mine if you show yours lol.

WaltInPA

Wannabie Member
Jun 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
www.waltinpa.com
I ride a
2018 Honda CB650F
I've been telling myself that I need to be in the 12 minute range (completely arbitrary number - no research behind that whatsoever) but I struggle to keep videos that short. On average I tend to be in the 15 to 20 minute range and my watch time on average is roughly 6 minutes.

I used to think 6 minutes was terrible but I came across some screenshots from a much larger channel and their watch time was under 4 minutes - so I'm beginning to think my time isn't too bad.

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
Just curious if you feel there is a sweet spot in terms of length of your videos you upload to YT. Engagement statistics tell you how long your average view was etc. Wondering if anyone really breaks these down and edits accordingly?

Example: if your videos are averaging 15mins per vid but your average watch time is 10mins, should one consider trying to edit videos down to 10mins or how to you look at this example?
Hmm, 10 minutes being watched on a 15 minute video is about 67%, that is not bad! I think watch time becomes a problem when it starts to fall under 50% because once you are able to monetize your video it may not seem as add friendly to YouTube with the <50% watch time. Less advertising opportunities with lower watch time.

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
I try to keep mine between 10-15 minutes, but honestly I have a hard time keeping them down that low. I often have to trim TONS of footage from my motovlogs, I ramble more than I ever thought I would!
Me too, haha! I ramble on and on and on... I'm still attempting some of my ramble videos this week...

Reactions: MMVNJ

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
For me, whatever video length it takes to get my message across, but I try and shoot for shorter times if I can (sub 15 minutes). There is only so much time in the day, and the more message I can pack in less time, the better. Unless it is a group ride or an interesting place, those tend to run longer.

City Bob makes a great point. If the video is really long, and you don't want to put it under the big editing chopping block, go ahead and make it a multi-part video. The video may be more enjoyable if it can be watched in a few small parts instead of one long video. I notice if there is a really long video I want to watch from a channel I subscribe too, I may put off watching it until later when I have more time. But that extra time may not come right away, so that video I want to watch gets put off even further down the road.

On another note for YouTube (YT) advertising purposes shoot for at least 10:01. That is the magic number (at time of this writing) where YT allows you to run multiple ads in your video, where You and YT could potentially make more money from ad revenue. You will get this option once you hit a 1000 subscribers and 4000 watch hours (these hours must be done in a single year from what I am told). I'm not too worried about this last paragraph though (mostly for informational purposes), if it happens, it happens, if not, this is still a fun hobby. :)

Reactions: City Bob

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Not sure if I have said this earlier or not.... had a beer or two tonight...

I'f I am not talking, then the video needs to be exciting, and offering more than just a highway, or straight bit of road.

I wonder if it would be a fun experiment for just on here if we could re edit our last video posted to just have the bits with us talking and have us vote on what we think as a viewer is better?

Reactions: MMVNJ and YBGuy

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
If I remember come the morning, I'll start a thread with the rules and a poll or somit.

Reactions: HRMV and MMVNJ

MMVNJ

Wannabie Member
Jul 28, 2020
I ride a
Indian Scout
Me too, haha! I ramble on and on and on... I'm still attempting some of my ramble videos this week...

I have one I'm working on that I think I'm just gonna call it a potpourri vlog. Its just a bunch of random thoughts on a recent ride.

As far as length, I try and keep them under 15min. My latest video started out as 22-25min of raw video, and when I finished I ended up with 12 and some change.

Reactions: Meifesto and YBGuy

City Bob

Immature Amateur
Jun 30, 2020
London, UK
I ride a
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
I wonder if it would be a fun experiment for just on here if we could re edit our last video posted to just have the bits with us talking and have us vote on what we think as a viewer is better?

That'll be hilarious if someones last video is "the beautiful views of.." it'll have them ride there, then nothing! :D

Rules have to be, no cheating! has to be your last video?
My last video was a joint ride, with lots of banter over comms, but I would loose the drone footage!

• Haha
Reactions: YBGuy

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
What I mean, is do your normal edit on a video that you share on YT, but also do an edit where it just has your talking, which you can upload as unlisted on YT, then share them both in the same thread in the members vlogs section, use the "Feedback Wanted" tab and we can let the poster know which we prefer. It can be a new vid you are still editing,doesn't need to be one already posted (I don't keep my old footage)

Reactions: HRMV

City Bob

Immature Amateur
Jun 30, 2020
London, UK
I ride a
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
What I mean, is do your normal edit on a video that you share on YT, but also do an edit where it just has your talking, which you can upload as unlisted on YT, then share them both in the same thread in the members vlogs section, use the "Feedback Wanted" tab and we can let the poster know which we prefer. It can be a new vid you are still editing,doesn't need to be one already posted (I don't keep my old footage)

I know what you meant - I just thought it would be really funny if it was a video where someone deliberately didn't have much talking in!

But yeah..! I'm up for this little challenge. I hate the sound of my own voice (I think that's common?) But then again, I am common east Londoner so my voice is probably worst than most. I'll probably do better with less of my voice!

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
I know what you meant - I just thought it would be really funny if it was a video where someone deliberately didn't have much talking in!

But yeah..! I'm up for this little challenge. I hate the sound of my own voice (I think that's common?) But then again, I am common east Londoner so my voice is probably worst than most. I'll probably do better with less of my voice!
If there is not much talking in it, I bet it would be a really short video! Hah. Welcome everyone...then fade to black.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts