Do you believe there is a sweet spot for vlog length ?

Meifesto

L Plate Member
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
City Bob makes a great point. If the video is really long, and you don't want to put it under the big editing chopping block, go ahead and make it a multi-part video.
Yes, if the subject is worth a 2 parter i also tend to use this strategy ;)

I notice if there is a really long video I want to watch from a channel I subscribe too, I may put off watching it until later when I have more time. But that extra time may not come right away, so that video I want to watch gets put off even further down the road.
Similar problem, still fighting to finish off the second podcast of Teapotone due to length and time.

On another note for YouTube (YT) advertising purposes shoot for at least 10:01. That is the magic number (at time of this writing) where YT allows you to run multiple ads in your video, where You and YT could potentially make more money from ad revenue.
Also true, but i hate the midroll advertisements. Some channels tend to put one in every 5 minutes or so.
Skip that content, or back to AdBlock it is then.

I have the midroll adds off as standard.
Only put them on for reviews for example, and only 1 max. , as those are the video's that are mainly watched by none-subscribers and are the most time, money and energy taken once ;)

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
Also true, but i hate the midroll advertisements. Some channels tend to put one in every 5 minutes or so.
Skip that content, or back to AdBlock it is then.

I have the midroll adds off as standard.
Only put them on for reviews for example, and only 1 max. , as those are the video's that are mainly watched by none-subscribers and are the most time, money and energy taken once ;)
That is a good ad strategy! Don't know what I would do since I can't advertise but it would be nice to put ads on similar videos where I had to make purchases of things for unboxings and reviews.

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
I think is more about what keeps people watching more than anything. Looking back over my most viewed videos there is no coloration between views and length, its all about the content.
My most viewed video is just under 10 mins, then there are a couple that are only 2-3 mins.

I try to keep most of mine around the 5 min mark as even I don't want to listen to myself for much longer than that.

• Haha
Reactions: YBGuy

City Bob

Immature Amateur
Jun 30, 2020
London, UK
I ride a
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
That is a good ad strategy! Don't know what I would do since I can't advertise but it would be nice to put ads on similar videos where I had to make purchases of things for unboxings and reviews.
If you have youtube premium, you dont get ads. Although i also have an ad blocker. (I have YT premium because I use the Play music (which is becoming YT music)

The 'Lock-Picking Lawyer ' on YT most of his videos are around 3 minutes. I'll bet he gets about a 97% watch time

But whether that's of any use from a monetization POV I wouldn't know.
Thats just because it only takes him a few seconds to break into a lock! :D I'm guessing his videos would take longer if he wasnt so dam quick at getting into them! .. so worrying!

Reactions: LandyVlad

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
I think is more about what keeps people watching more than anything. Looking back over my most viewed videos there is no coloration between views and length, its all about the content.
My most viewed video is just under 10 mins, then there are a couple that are only 2-3 mins.

I try to keep most of mine around the 5 min mark as even I don't want to listen to myself for much longer than that.
I think it is a YMMV situation though too, and who is your audience. Many people are strapped for time, so the shorter the video is, the sooner I think that person will have time to watch it.

Meifesto

L Plate Member
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Yeah, and it prevents people from skipping your vid's because of all the adds as well ;)

• Haha
Reactions: City Bob

Top Posters Past 30 days

Winners Video

Latest posts